Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 06:35 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

An update to this got my IDE to M2 enclosure today! Great news but then not great news - recovered the image into the new drive and plugged it in... Got nothing navigation doesn't work it just says loading maps. So this route has failed unfortunately I'll need to buy a proper IDE SSD drive. Which is fine but that's the much more expensive route!

Not sure what else I can do with this current setup in terms of testing - turned on - maps don't work ughhh.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:18 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
An update to this got my IDE to M2 enclosure today! Great news but then not great news - recovered the image into the new drive and plugged it in... Got nothing navigation doesn't work it just says loading maps. So this route has failed unfortunately I'll need to buy a proper IDE SSD drive. Which is fine but that's the much more expensive route!

Not sure what else I can do with this current setup in terms of testing - turned on - maps don't work ughhh.
You are on the leading edge in terms of cloning an IDE/PATA HDD! - all the posts I've run into are on the SATA front.
While its possible that the M2-IDE unit did not help, some more options to rule out...
- Post 4 in this thread: Acronis True Image did not work for the jslo. He switched to Clonezilla. I think you mentioned using Macrium Reflect, so maybe you want to try Clonezilla too - its free and you can create a boot disk/usb without having to install anything on your computer.
- Even when I used Clonezilla, the first time I attempted the clone, I got the same error that you seem to have - screen stays stuck in 'Loadin navi...' At that time, I attempted a disk -> image and loaded the image to my computer and subsequently an image -> disk to load the SSD. During the image -> SSD load, there was a single sector warning while cloning one of the large partitions.. the cloning did not stop and continued with no more warnings/ errors but when I plugged the SSD, navi did not work. (I suspected my desktop even though I had done a low level format of the partition i was using for the image, moreover there were no warnings when the image was being created, only when image was being transferred to the target). Anyway, the next time, I did a direct clone from HDD -> SSD - no Clonezilla warnings or errors this time and the navi worked fine. So, makes sense to check all the cloning logs even for warnings..
- Reattempt using your Macrium image and all of the above options with an old laptop IDE HDD -you can find cheap used ones on ebay/facebook marketplace. Format it completely and then try.. if that works, then you know for sure the steps to follow with an IDE SSD before investing more....
Old 05-04-2020, 10:30 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by kari
You are on the leading edge in terms of cloning an IDE/PATA HDD! - all the posts I've run into are on the SATA front.
While its possible that the M2-IDE unit did not help, some more options to rule out...
- Post 4 in this thread: Acronis True Image did not work for the jslo. He switched to Clonezilla. I think you mentioned using Macrium Reflect, so maybe you want to try Clonezilla too - its free and you can create a boot disk/usb without having to install anything on your computer.
- Even when I used Clonezilla, the first time I attempted the clone, I got the same error that you seem to have - screen stays stuck in 'Loadin navi...' At that time, I attempted a disk -> image and loaded the image to my computer and subsequently an image -> disk to load the SSD. During the image -> SSD load, there was a single sector warning while cloning one of the large partitions.. the cloning did not stop and continued with no more warnings/ errors but when I plugged the SSD, navi did not work. (I suspected my desktop even though I had done a low level format of the partition i was using for the image, moreover there were no warnings when the image was being created, only when image was being transferred to the target). Anyway, the next time, I did a direct clone from HDD -> SSD - no Clonezilla warnings or errors this time and the navi worked fine. So, makes sense to check all the cloning logs even for warnings..
- Reattempt using your Macrium image and all of the above options with an old laptop IDE HDD -you can find cheap used ones on ebay/facebook marketplace. Format it completely and then try.. if that works, then you know for sure the steps to follow with an IDE SSD before investing more....
Thanks - I do have clonezillia and am familiar with it but I gave in and purchased a PATA/IDE 64GB SSD online.

I'm fairly sure that the protocol of the much newer M2SATA + enclosure doesn't work with such an old PCM

Guess I'll find out when I get the IDE SSD! I could get out the drive again and do a clonezillia copy to the M2 but I think the drive is just too new for the 9 year old PCM

I did find MSata to 2.5" IDE housings which I might have had better luck with but MSata SSDs seemed difficult to find.

When Jslo did the clone was the HD broken? Fortunately mine isn't showing any issues this was just a preventative upgrade so I can update from v2.71 and eventually upgrade the maps to 2018.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay so some bad news... The IDE SSD didn't work with my Acronis True Image! So Kari I think you might be right Acronis can't make an image properly!

So ill need to do a clonezilla of my original drive - I might do it to the M2 drive first to see if it works.

What settings did you use for the clone? Beginner or expert mode and if expert what settings did you use?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:02 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Also as a point of reference with a non working hard drive my Bluetooth audio and phone call audio didn't work but my phone did connect to the PCM and the radio still worked. Not sure about the CD player but who uses those anymore! Although I do need to use it to do the update I guess!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:49 AM
kari
Instructor

Okay so some bad news... The IDE SSD didn't work with my Acronis True Image! So Kari I think you might be right Acronis can't make an image properly!

So ill need to do a clonezilla of my original drive - I might do it to the M2 drive first to see if it works.

What settings did you use for the clone? Beginner or expert mode and if expert what settings did you use?

Thanks!
When I was putting the instructions together to use fdisk and create a clean new disk (without cloning) to recover all functionality except Navi (posted on another thread on the emergency update loop), I realized that the MBR and partition tables were non-standard. I had to enter fdisk expert mode to make some of the partition start cylinder changes. (some of the partition boundaries started earlier than a standard partition boundary) That is why I prefer Clonezilla to make a clone of everything including any hidden data between MBR and 1st partition. Other tools may allow that capability but again one has to enter expert mode on those tools to ensure relevant settings are turned on...

I used the disk-to-disk option with Clonezilla Expert mode and all of the following options selected (some were default): -g auto, -e1 auto, -e2, -j2, -q1 and v
Old 05-06-2020, 09:56 AM
dan_189
Race Car

When I was putting the instructions together to use fdisk and create a clean new disk (without cloning) to recover functionality (except Navi - posted on another thread on the emergency update loop), I realized that the MBR and partition tables were non-standard. I had to enter fdisk expert mode to make some of the partition start cylinder changes. (some of the partition boundaries started earlier than a standard partition boundary) That is why I used Clonezilla to make a clone of everything including any hidden data between MBR and 1st partition. Other tools may allow that capability but again one has to enter expert mode on those tools to ensure relevant settings are turned on...

I used the disk-to-disk option with Clonezilla Expert mode and all of the following options selected (some were default): -g auto, -e1 auto, -e2, -j2, -q1 and v
Thanks Kari appreciate that. I'll try the M2 enclosure again now that the IDE SSD didn't work. Although to be honest the IDE SSD is built better than the M2 enclosure which is quite cheap so I might go straight to the IDE but make a virtual disk clone as well with VMware Station.
​​​​​​
Old 05-06-2020, 10:16 AM
kari
Instructor

Good luck! Will be great if you can post the partition details after successful cloning.. the fdisk details I posted were for the 100GB disk. While the initial partitions are likely to be similar, interested to see what the 40GB disk partitions are like...
Old 05-06-2020, 11:06 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Good luck! Will be great if you can post the partition details after successful cloning.. the fdisk details I posted were for the 100GB disk. While the initial partitions are likely to be similar, interested to see what the 40GB disk partitions are like...
I'll post the partition sizes if that helps? Also the disk is an MBR rather than a GPD too for reference.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:15 AM
kari
Instructor

I'll post the partition sizes if that helps? Also the disk is an MBR rather than a GPD too for reference.
Yes its MBR. As clonezilla runs, it shows the entire partition info - all the partition names with start and end cylinders and types. You could just take a pic of that and share. If not, you can just type the fdisk -l option to list the partition info. (ex: sudo fdisk -l) once you get to clonezilla command prompt
Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay so more bad news unfortunately - so even with Clonezillia successfully cloning the drive the IDE SSD still didnt work - the navigation maps and bluetooth audio are still unavailable. @jslo do I need to run the update disk to reinitialise a new SSD? Hesitant to do it because then my original IDE drive will be out of sync. I.e my original drive will have V2.71 and the new drive would have the later version (if it works). I do have a PIWIS maybe I should plug it in and see if there are any errors that appear.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:31 PM
kari
Instructor

Okay so more bad news unfortunately - so even with Clonezillia successfully cloning the drive the IDE SSD still didnt work - the navigation maps and bluetooth audio are still unavailable..
dan_189, I remember you trying out Acronis on both disks - did you try the GPT option before switching to MBR? If so, check out post 23 on this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=23 (Acronis seems to be defaulting to GPT in certain conditions: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acro...ssd-forces-gpt)

While the site focuses on Beemers, the hardware manufacturer is the same (Harman Becker) and the underlying firmware technologies are the same or similar (QNX etc..). So, the thread as a whole is an interesting read - seems like certain IDE disks and controller chipsets are not compatible ... anyway worth a read through the whole thread for ideas to debug... https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426773

As far as running an update is concerned, the core OS resides withing the PCM internal memory and any update is a full update (not incremental/ delta update).. so everything will be updated from a firmware/software perspective .. and if you re-run everything will be updated again... so shouldnt be an issue..or atleast it isnt on the newer SATA disks... but better to debug and get a working PATA SSD if you really want to play safe...
Old 05-07-2020, 08:50 PM
dan_189
Race Car

dan_189, I remember you trying out Acronis on both disks - did you try the GPT option before switching to MBR? If so, check out post 23 on this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=23 (Acronis seems to be defaulting to GPT in certain conditions: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acro...ssd-forces-gpt)

While the site focuses on Beemers, the hardware manufacturer is the same (Harman Becker) and the underlying firmware technologies are the same or similar (QNX etc..). So, the thread as a whole is an interesting read - seems like certain IDE disks and controller chipsets are not compatible ... anyway worth a read through the whole thread for ideas to debug... https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426773

As far as running an update is concerned, the core OS resides withing the PCM internal memory and any update is a full update (not incremental/ delta update).. so everything will be updated from a firmware/software perspective .. and if you re-run everything will be updated again... so shouldnt be an issue..or atleast it isnt on the newer SATA disks... but better to debug and get a working PATA SSD if you really want to play safe...
Thanks for that link read the entire thread - seems that the IDE SSD I bought has the memory type that is incompatible. So I just bought yet another IDE SSD this time its the one that was recommended in the thread Zheino IDE SSD.

Also with the image I ditched Acronis for this and went with Clonezillia but it still didnt work. So i'll wait for this new drive and see how I go. I also purchased a standard 40GB IDE hard drive so I can test cloning my drive - was cheap so it's a good backup. I'm starting to amass a small collection of old IDE hard drives haha but i'm determined to get this sorted as I have still spent a fraction of a used PCM 3.1!
Old 05-15-2020, 08:12 PM
GJSI
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My low mileage 2015 Cayenne S-E Hybrid has developed PCM 3.1 problems with loss of Nav maps and repeated rebooting (every 5 minutes}.. I was surprised to find from the forum how frequently this problem occurs and how ineffective Porsche seems to be in fixing the problem in a quick and cost-effective manner.
As a retired 73 year old engineer, I was hesitant to try to fix it myself but the frustrating experiences of Forum members with dealer solutions encouraged me to at least give it a try. i've removed the PCM 3.1 head unit (System version 4.75) and have cloned the Toshiba HDD to a 100GB SSD but there are 8 bad sectors and the PCM with the SSD installed exhibits the same rebooting and loss of Nav Maps issues.
I do not possess a PCM3.1 updatedisk WKD95280017/16 which I believe I will need to restore full functionality and have tried unsuccessfully to buy one. I would be most grateful to any Forum members who can help me to get back to a working system. I can live without the Nav maps but the constant rebooting is a real annoyance and destroys my enjoyment of the car.

Graham

Old 05-15-2020, 08:22 PM
dan_189
Race Car

As a temporary fix have you tried removing the hard drive to see if it still re boots with it removed? The PCM should still operate just without Navigation or Bluetooth music/calls.

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD