Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Opinions on stereo replace affecting car value

Old 01-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Greg Navarro
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Opinions on stereo replace affecting car value

I am looking to get opinions on how replacing the factory stereo with an upgraded Apple Car Play stereo will affect your car on the resale end of things. Does it make it less desirable? Would it better to just integrate a Bluetooth streaming device? Those new Apple Car play feature are pretty sweet I just do not want to regret it later. In my case this would be for a 997.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:35 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When searching for my 996, I was giving preference to cars with stock audio. My primary reasoning was that I didn't want a car that had the wiring all hacked up. I figure I'm probably on the extreme though.

If you could get stock plugs and hook them into the existing harness when you wire up the new system and saved the original head unit then you'd have the best of both worlds maybe? I'm not sure how feasible that is as some of the 911s have funky digital outputs from the head unit to the amp.

But if you get a new head unit, it's probably a slippery slope. You'll want new speakers, a backup camera, a way to charge your phone, bluetooth handsfree for phone...

My car is not a daily driver, so, for now, I'm opting to keep it more stock. If it was a daily driver, I'd probably want all of those conveniences. Half the time, I drive around with my radio off on mine--the engine makes great music.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 AM
Greg Navarro
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
When searching for my 996, I was giving preference to cars with stock audio. My primary reasoning was that I didn't want a car that had the wiring all hacked up. I figure I'm probably on the extreme though.

If you could get stock plugs and hook them into the existing harness when you wire up the new system and saved the original head unit then you'd have the best of both worlds maybe? I'm not sure how feasible that is as some of the 911s have funky digital outputs from the head unit to the amp.

But if you get a new head unit, it's probably a slippery slope. You'll want new speakers, a backup camera, a way to charge your phone, bluetooth handsfree for phone...

My car is not a daily driver, so, for now, I'm opting to keep it more stock. If it was a daily driver, I'd probably want all of those conveniences. Half the time, I drive around with my radio off on mine--the engine makes great music.
Great point
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM
NewportAutosound
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, I will say from a shops view, we tell all of our customers to keep the OEM radio so that if they sell the car, we can always put it back in for them if needed be for resale purposes. Any quality shop should never have to cut or modify that car to put a new radio in. We do these cars weekly, especially in the 997 platform.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on stereo replace affecting car value