Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally ditched PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 05:03 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

No I haven't. Don't often use the space and forget about it needing to do it. I think the C4S has the same layout as the Turbo, inc CD Changer. Would need to be from a different car?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I had read this thread thoroughly before making my purchases lol. I ended up buying the OEM dash kit off Suncoast, but as you had mentioned it does not fit the head unit well at all. The head unit sits so far recessed that you all but lose access to the volume dial. I think that I will follow your suit and order the one from crutchfield.

Did you ever finalize your microphone installation? I found the clip that comes with the Sony mic is so wide that I can not get it to fit tight anywhere along the headliner.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
I wish I had read this thread thoroughly before making my purchases lol. I ended up buying the OEM dash kit off Suncoast, but as you had mentioned it does not fit the head unit well at all. The head unit sits so far recessed that you all but lose access to the volume dial. I think that I will follow your suit and order the one from crutchfield.

Did you ever finalize your microphone installation? I found the clip that comes with the Sony mic is so wide that I can not get it to fit tight anywhere along the headliner.
I ended up taking the clip off the mic and interference-fitting the small ball-joint that is connected to the mic between the top of the A pillar and the headliner, running the cable behind the A-pillar. Its small enough that I don't even notice it even though it sticks out at a slight angle.
I'll try to get a pic and post it.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:33 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Send the trim plate to bumperplugs.com to have it painted for a perfect match.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:34 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have noticed that the AM/FM reception is fairly terrible with this unit and wonder if you have the same issues? I used the IR to 3.5mm jack to go from the factory IR cable with black end into the head unit. I know that the car has an antenna amplifier (Solid white cable in factory harness) and but there is no power antenna in the sony side of the harness.

Did you find some way to overcome this issue? or are you living without AM/FM?
Old 10-07-2017, 08:39 PM
phsingl
Instructor

I have noticed that the AM/FM reception is fairly terrible with this unit and wonder if you have the same issues? I used the IR to 3.5mm jack to go from the factory IR cable with black end into the head unit. I know that the car has an antenna amplifier (Solid white cable in factory harness) and but there is no power antenna in the sony side of the harness.

Did you find some way to overcome this issue? or are you living without AM/FM?
Sorry for late reply. Yup Radio reception sucks. I imagine some kind of amplifier would help but if I’m honest I haven’t listened to the radio in about 15 years....
Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Originally Posted by phsingl

Temporary location for amp and crossovers. The fiberboard box is from the previous install. I will mount amp and crossovers where nav was and retain original cover for a more OEM look when I have a little more time. Also note the temporary switch mounted in one of the carpet trim holes to the left. There's no ignition switched power source in the frunk so as a temporary measure I have a manual switch to power the amp. I'll run a switched power trigger for the amp when I mount it properly next weekend.
So finally buttoned everything up and mounted the amp and crossovers behind the Nav cover. Have pics but ios11 won’t let me upload
Will post tomorrow from Mac.....
Old 10-15-2017, 08:36 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Microphone fitted with wiring tucked behind A pillar...
Old 10-15-2017, 08:41 PM
phsingl
Instructor

Amp mounted to hanging rail for DVD frame via short self tapping screws. Crossovers test mounted to old Bose Amp mounting plate.

cross-overs mounted and mounting plate re-attached with original clips. Wiring isn't elegant but its functional....

OEM DVD nav cover fits snugly over everything

complete and reinstalled all surrounding plastic covers. Nav cover is a little scruffy from previous use - may look for replacement on eBay...

Quick Reply: Finally ditched PCM