Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q: For those who are familiar with .1 and .2 Front bumper differences(LED fog lights)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: For those who are familiar with .1 and .2 Front bumper differences(LED fog lights)

Very soon I will be going back to a 997.1 TT bumper cover that is OEM instead of what is currently on the car. I know it's hard to discern what's behind my aftermarket .2 GT3 bumper cover until the shop goes in there , but, I know PO had to do something wiring related to be able to utilize the LED daytime running lights from the .2 GT3 on an 07 TT.

Could it be a plug and play FVD type harness? Or something else? I need to find out if the .1 bumper cover I bought had upgraded LED turn signals. It might have. Wondering if I should go for the .2 LED DRL fog lights and what that would entail?

The fact that the car already has LED DRL now makes me think I might be one step ahead in some way. Let me know if anyone has done this ?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-01-2017, 03:11 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the .2 LED mod but have held off because its such a pain to do properly. Expensive part, requires a few new wires be run through the firewall, some coding and slicing into a fuse in the footwell to get them to work as DRL's not just when the lheadlights are turned on - I don't know if that puts you closer to a resolution or farther away.
Since it does not look like you have the factory fog lights integrated into the bumper whoever did the install hopefully pulled the bulbs, and found some way to tuck them into a corner with enough heat shield and tape they didnt break or short. I bet they probably removed them used the wiring for some aspects of the new LEDs and should have given them back to you so if you dont have them - they went in the trash. This could leave you without the wiring needed to plug them back in and if you already need wiring and have the .2 LED's you might as well take a little extra effort to upgrade to LED Fog Lights - the orange factory bulbs look terrible if the others are LED.. Let me know if you recall where you bought the LED kit. depending what shop you would go with the 6k or 4k modification set. Here is where you can buy either. Ive installed these, they work very well and im not very handy but i managed to do it myself - lots of youtube videos walking you through it.
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Porsc...Kit-6000K.html

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Porsc...Kit-4300K.html
You likely do not want the factory ones anyway so id take this as a excuse to spend 100 bucks on a good looking and necessary step to install anything (based on numerous assumptions). I cant imagine they would leave them unmounted and if they have both wires needed to plug into the DRL's i would happily put those to use instead of capping and running new lines.

. I just happened to upgrade all lights to LED over the past two weeks so im far from the person who would normally be of help i just happened to fumble my way through every light - interior and exterior. love the results, would have loved paying someone else to do it. easily spent enough time where i could have billed 10k consulting and 500 to a indy shop. Feel free to PM me if you have any follow up questions I love working on this car but regret every project. somehow forget how german engineers get significant enjoyment placing screws and bolts where unless your a child size contortionist or have a special 5 bend phillops head eventually you will spend half a day yelling at one 13mm holding half the car together somehow
Old 07-01-2017, 11:24 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll know until you pull the bumper.

I went from a Carrera front bumper to a Turbo and had to do quite a bit of modification. As the turn signal, fog and city lights all had different connectors, I had to cut them and splice them to the new ones. I did keep the originals connectors, so if I choose to go back to stock I could just "reverse" the splice.

Another thing you may need to consider is if you need a Durametric pro for the coding. The GT3 has the standard turn signals/fog combo lights. For my conversion, I had to recode these from standard to LED. I only mention this, as even though you have the upgraded LED OE turn signal/fog unit, it usually contains an internal resistor.

On the plus side, it sounds like you have a daytime running light power source already hooked up. I have the updated LED turn signal/daytime running lights (~$500), but I never hooked up the required power for the daytime running lights. I ran the wire, but never spliced into the harness or fusebox. I had the bumper off for so long, I was just in a rush to re-install it. Hope to pull the front bumper off some day and make the connection.

Oh, and lastly, you may want to pick up new H3 LED bulbs for the fog lights. I meant to do this, but forgot when I reinstalled everything. Not a big deal, however, the the halogen look of the bulbs really don't match any other light source on the front.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:59 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of Factory 997.1 fog lamps available with bright white LED bulbs in place along with matching bright white LED side markers..... : ]

Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by VID997
I have a set of Factory 997.1 fog lamps available with bright white LED bulbs in place along with matching bright white LED side markers..... : ]

looks cool. I'll email you some questions about them. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2023, 04:38 PM
sierra73
AutoX

My fogs have never worked, checked fuses etc and NADA!
Old 05-03-2023, 09:33 PM
TSTARKZ123
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by sierra73
My fogs have never worked, checked fuses etc and NADA!
Have a similar issue here and everything points to a bad front control module. When scanning mine is says no communication to sidemarkers, driving lights and the right indicator. Headlamps and left indicator work fine.

Quick Reply: Q: For those who are familiar with .1 and .2 Front bumper differences(LED fog lights)