Sponsored by:

997.2 + slicks, oil starvation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 997.2 + slicks, oil starvation?

This integrated dry sump with 4 or 5 pumps --> can it handle semi slicks (Hoosiers) or real slicks without starving the engine of oil?

It doesn't look like that many people track the 997.2's much outside the GT cars. I have a 997.2 Turbo S that I track. I haven't tried semi/full slicks yet.

I searched but haven't found an answer.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I run r compound NT01 and track my GTS couple times a month in-season.
The manual specifically says not to use slicks and the dealer said I'd void the warranty on slicks (still on CPO). R compound they gave me a high five and said have at it.

I have read some stories (2 maybe) of oil starvation on slicks but I see many many dfi caymans running slicks at the track. I've asked them and, anecdotally, they just blink and laugh... no problems.

big question is, are you racing or just DE? Do you really need to shave 2-3 sec a lap and risk oil starvation in DE? only you can answer that question. either way, glad to hear a turbo is being tracked!
Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 AM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I run r compound NT01 and track my GTS couple times a month in-season.
The manual specifically says not to use slicks and the dealer said I'd void the warranty on slicks (still on CPO). R compound they gave me a high five and said have at it.

I have read some stories (2 maybe) of oil starvation on slicks but I see many many dfi caymans running slicks at the track. I've asked them and, anecdotally, they just blink and laugh... no problems.

big question is, are you racing or just DE? Do you really need to shave 2-3 sec a lap and risk oil starvation in DE? only you can answer that question. either way, glad to hear a turbo is being tracked!
Yeah it's just DE. I've never used slicks/semi slicks before so I was just really curious what it feels like. I've only used Cup 2's as my best/stickiest tire so far.

I just installed an LN Engineering deep oil sump. I'm also curious whether this would help.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

The stock pan's smaller volume looks better baffled (higher walls) to me to prevent oil slosh in cornering but the deeper finned pan probably allows a lower oil temp when the cooling fins get air flow through them when driving (as more surface area exposed to the ambient air for heat transfer).
Old 06-17-2017, 12:18 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
The stock pan's smaller volume looks better baffled (higher walls) to me to prevent oil slosh in cornering but the deeper finned pan probably allows a lower oil temp when the cooling fins get air flow through them when driving (as more surface area exposed to the ambient air for heat transfer).
That black wall on the OEM pan transfers over to the deeper pan. It just hadn't been transferred over in the picture. The deeper pan is baffled higher than the OEM pan.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Man, that pan sits low! I've scraped the bottom of my mufflers b4 and mine isn't lowered.
If you're just doing DE, don't tempt fate, stick with Rs.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Beautiful pan!

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Man, that pan sits low! I've scraped the bottom of my mufflers b4 and mine isn't lowered.
+1. Please see photo. 2007 997.1 TT w/Tubi. I sold that car after 8 years, the scrape really bothered me.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM
changster123
Racer

Yeah man I am for sure a little worried. The pan is more toward the middle of the chassis versus the muffler though, so that part doesn't squat as much. We'll see.

What I'm worried about that at my home track there are two turns where the inside wheel is on the curb/bumble strip, the "sausage" is between my inner and outer wheel, and my outside wheel is on the asphalt. I'm wondering if this is going to clear that sausage.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 PM
changster123
Racer

BTW do you consider Hoosier's acceptable? Is that within your definition of R's?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:40 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by Igooz
Beautiful pan!

+1. Please see photo. 2007 997.1 TT w/Tubi. I sold that car after 8 years, the scrape really bothered me.
Right on... I see what you mean.

Hmmmmmm.....
Old 06-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

You raise the bar big time when you go to slicks: lots more stress and strain on axles, wheels ends, studs/lugs, brakes, everything goes up. Do you really need slicks on an AWD car? IMHO

MPSC2s are great except in wet.

I don't have a 997TT so I should take my ball and go home. GL.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
BTW do you consider Hoosier's acceptable? Is that within your definition of R's?
Many people run those on GT3s under warranty with no issues from what I've read. I would think you would be fine.

With that said: I've avoided taking hit of the Hoosier crack pipe so far. They don't last long before grip starts to fall off (Ive been told 1.5-2 days and then grip tapers off) and they are pricey. I've stuck with Nitto NT01s which seem to have more grip than MPSC2 from what others says but are half the price and last 3x as long. I'm on 6 DEs on my NT01s at advanced group pace and still have about half the life of the tire remaining.

If you want to go with slicks, perhaps look at buying scrub slicks from race teams to start out with to test how your car does with the extra grip and save yourself a couple thousand bucks to experiment with. There are some threads if you search in the 997 GT3 forum where guys buy slicks that teams used for a couple sessions and still have plenty of life in them for super cheap that still have some good grip left.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
This integrated dry sump with 4 or 5 pumps --> can it handle semi slicks (Hoosiers) or real slicks without starving the engine of oil?

It doesn't look like that many people track the 997.2's much outside the GT cars. I have a 997.2 Turbo S that I track. I haven't tried semi/full slicks yet.

I searched but haven't found an answer.
We have raced a 997.2 Turbo on slicks and have customers with 997.2 Turbo on Hoosiers. No oil starvation issue. All you had to do was ask me. ;-)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
We have raced a 997.2 Turbo on slicks and have customers with 997.2 Turbo on Hoosiers. No oil starvation issue. All you had to do was ask me. ;-)
BOOM there he is. The man with all the answers.

Is it true Hoosiers are around 2-3 seconds faster than a Cup2 on a 2min lap and slicks another 2-3 seconds?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 AM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The DFI engine in the .2 cars has much more efficient scavenge of oil from the cylinder heads, which was the downfall of the m97 engines which had all the starvation/heating issues. I ran my '09 cayman s (dfi) on hoosiers for couple of track days and time trials on hoosiers, pretty hard, with no issues. Still best to keep oil fresh for each weekend, as the total volume is less than the mezger dry sumps.

Quick Reply: 997.2 + slicks, oil starvation?