Sponsored by:

997 Turbo pricing: stable or dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:17 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDan
I think you're right... if I wanted to get rid of it quickly I'd prob have to take less than my target 77k...
Looks like you guys may be stuck with me for a while.

I do have a fidelity platinum warranty that's good for another 5 years or until about 75000 miles.
Would that command a premium?
I agree, $77K is a "I really want to keep it" price. As mentioned, super clean low mileage 07TT's are sitting unsold at $70-71K. Others sold quickly at or below $65K. At $77K, it would have to be a buyer that simply isn't looking at the market or absolutely must have ruby red. Who knows though... maybe in a couple of years, it will be worth $80K. Or $60K.

There are also plenty of options that jack up the original sticker that IMHO affect the resale value not a lick... Expensive cosmetic/vanity options is particular. Only a handful of options that are really things that would make a difference to me (adaptive sport seats, sport chrono, diff lock, pccb's for example). Condition, service history, and ownership history are far more important to me than if it has some extra bits of leather or carbon fiber on the original msrp.

In my mind, Porsche CPO warranty commands a premium, any third party warranty not so much.

Comments as an active buyer for a 997.1TT btw, not just an armchair critic.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I agree, $77K is a "I really want to keep it" price. As mentioned, super clean low mileage 07TT's are sitting unsold at $70-71K. Others sold quickly at or below $65K. At $77K, it would have to be a buyer that simply isn't looking at the market or absolutely must have ruby red. Who knows though... maybe in a couple of years, it will be worth $80K. Or $60K.

There are also plenty of options that jack up the original sticker that IMHO affect the resale value not a lick expensive cosmetic/vanity options is particular. Only a handful of options that are really things that would make a difference to me (adaptive sport seats, sport chrono, diff lock, pccb's for example). Condition, service history, and ownership history are far more important to me than if it has some extra bits of leather or carbon fiber on the original msrp.

In my mind, Porsche CPO warranty commands a premium, any third party warranty not so much.

Comments as an active buyer for a 997.1TT btw, not just an armchair critic.
I just ordered a new pickup.
It listed right at 70k....

911 turbo's are a lot of car for less than a new loaded pickup. I think I'm going to hang on to mine for another year or so and then I'll evaluate again.

Good luck with your search.

Dan
Old 06-06-2017, 09:26 AM
C's Turbo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How did u like the EP2?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C's Turbo
How did u like the EP2?
I love it. It's loud, and it does drone a bit at certain speeds, but it's a sports car and now it sounds like one.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CTDan
I just ordered a new pickup.
It listed right at 70k....
911 turbo's are a lot of car for less than a new loaded pickup. I think I'm going to hang on to mine for another year or so and then I'll evaluate again.
No doubt the 997.1TT offers a huge bang-for-the-buck... But that doesn't really affect the value of one particular turbo for sale vs. another.

It does make a good case for just keeping it, especially as it won't have nearly the depreciation as that $70K pickup. But I also suspect you paid closer to $64K for that $70K sticker pickup given the big rebates and discounts offered on domestic trucks these days.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:35 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

It does make a good case for just keeping it,

Yes it does...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

You guys quoting cars on aggregation sites should double-check with the root source -- actually call the dealer or check websites -- lots of stale data, cars w/ stories, tips labeled as MT's. Not reliable data to really inform a market view.

Haven't heard of any clean, low miles, no stories, MT coupes trading below low $70s, and have definitely seen some trade in the $80s (2009's, rare colors, really low miles). I remember looking at a few "deals" two years ago and wasted a lot of time and money on PPI's for crap cars thinking it was a bargain... Get what you pay for...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Comes down to how picky you are, I guess. If you're looking at an aggregate, you're getting a feel for average cars - ones with a few miles, maybe a track day on them, etc. If nothing but the cleanest cherry virgin TT will suffice, then you'll look at a different set of cars a couple deviations out. One man's "crap" hoopty is another's daily driver dream ride.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
You guys quoting cars on aggregation sites should double-check with the root source -- actually call the dealer or check websites -- lots of stale data, cars w/ stories, tips labeled as MT's. Not reliable data to really inform a market view.

Haven't heard of any clean, low miles, no stories, MT coupes trading below low $70s, and have definitely seen some trade in the $80s (2009's, rare colors, really low miles). I remember looking at a few "deals" two years ago and wasted a lot of time and money on PPI's for crap cars thinking it was a bargain... Get what you pay for...
I agree, there are plenty of crap cars out there and lots that are described incorrectly, but the cars I'm referring to were personally verified...

All Coupes. All Manual. All clean carfax. All no stories. All very clean, and I'm *extremely* picky about my cars.

Eyes personally on and test drove two ultra clean low mileage 997.1TT's, one at $69K, one at $70K just in the past week. They are not selling... And that's in a market where well priced 991.1's, 997.2 non-turbos, and .2 Cayman S's evaporate the same day they hit the market.

The $65K low mileage TT I mentioned was a Texas car, sold earlier the same day I called about it. Eyes not personally on it, but had a long conversation with the seller, which was a specialty Porsche shop. Sounded very nice. Like I said, very nice $65K 997.1TT's sell extremely quickly, $70K 997.1TT's are sitting. Pretty much the definition of market boundries...

Last edited by pfbz; 06-06-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd keep it for awhile, but if you're set on selling....convert back to bone stock, 75-77k not a penny less. Color, options, miles are a premium on your car, lesser optioned common colored cars are in the 75k range.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Eyes personally on and test drove two ultra clean low mileage 997.1TT's, one at $69K, one at $70K just in the past week. They are not selling... And that's in a market where well priced 991.1's, 997.2 non-turbos, and .2 Cayman S's evaporate the same day they hit the market.

The $65K low mileage TT I mentioned was a Texas car, sold earlier the same day I called about it. Eyes not personally on it, but had a long conversation with the seller, which was a specialty Porsche shop. Sounded very nice. Like I said, very nice $65K 997.1TT's sell extremely quickly, $70K 997.1TT's are sitting. Pretty much the definition of market boundries...
From what I've seen, this board has a propensity to overestimate the market value on 997TTs. I always just tell myself all the $80k+ 07 Turbos I hear about must be trading on the collector shadow market because I sure don't see it happening anywhere else...
Old 06-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Everybody always thinks their car is worth more than all the others.
Human nature.

Personally I am waiting for the howls when a nice 6 fetches more than a nice 7.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a no story green 7 to get into by then.
I do keep looking...
Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree, there are plenty of crap cars out there and lots that are described incorrectly, but the cars I'm referring to were personally verified...

All Coupes. All Manual. All clean carfax. All no stories. All very clean, and I'm *extremely* picky about my cars.

In all seriousness, would you mind PM'ing me the details? I'm in the process of building out my second garage and have some capacity coming online - if there's a quality coupe MT 997TT available in the $60's, I might snag a second one.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A

Personally I am waiting for the howls when a nice 6 fetches more than a nice 7..
I'll take that bet. Let me know how much.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:25 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,463 Likes on 964 Posts

Lot's and lot's of nice cars and a reducing pool of buyers.

When the music stops, it always does these toys will drop, as they always do. Few will see their cars values hold.

Our economy is and always has been cyclical and this time is no different.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo pricing: stable or dropping?