Sponsored by:

My Impressions of Racing Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:13 AM
jammaljc
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Impressions of Racing Brake Rotors

Hi all. Just wanted to share my experience with Racing Brake two-piece 350mm rotors. I purchased a set of fronts for my 997.1 TT in May of 2015 to replace the stock rotors, with the intent to use them primarily on track. I liked that they are slotted, not drilled. The drilled holes on the stock rotors always developed cracks early and got clogged with brake dust. The stock rotors also don't last very long under heavy track use, and don't "age" gracefully IMO. I also liked that the RB rotors are a floating two-piece design, so you can replace the rings and reuse the hats. Upon arrival, I was pleased to see them properly packaged and with good installation instructions. The finish on these was excellent to the eye, but we all know that the true test is high speed braking into a turn coming off a straight. More on that in a bit. Installation was straightforward, the hardest part being getting the stock rotors off the car. Also, when installing these brand new, and with brand new Pagid Yellow pads, the fit was very tight to work the calipers back over the rotors. But once it was all together, there was just barely enough clearance to keep the pad from constantly rubbing on the caliper. I immediately took the car out for a spin and was shocked at how much better the brakes worked! I had always been under the impression that rotors did not make a difference, that it was really the pads that mattered. Having run Pagid Yellows for years, I can say affirmatively that these rotors significantly improved initial bite and overall stopping power. On the track, I found the same to be true, and experienced zero fade in 30-minute sessions at TWS, consistently running hard on the brakes from high speeds (145 front straight, 120 back straight, 110 into turn 3, etc). This was in June, in full Texas heat. Awesome. Subsequent weekends at TWS and COTA yielded very smooth and consistent braking from session to session over the past 18 months. I also ran these rotors on the street with stock pads. These rotors lasted 31 track sessions total (24 at TWS plus 7 at COTA), plus 11,000 somewhat aggressive street miles. They wore very evenly and seemed to perform as well on their last day as on the first. I wore the slots down to almost flat, and in the last few track days saw stress cracks begin to develop (none to the outer rim). Overall I am very pleased with the wear rate on these, and I have replacement rings on the way for the fronts. I also ordered new rear rotors now that my stock rears are worn. I am very happy with how these performed and think they’re somewhat of a bargain (I would not have ordered new fronts and rears otherwise).

Disclaimer: RB offered me a small discount on my reorder (not the original order for the rotors I am reviewing here) for taking the time to post a review of this product. However, I did not feel any obligation whatsoever to paint a positive picture. Rest assured that the opinions expressed here are strictly my own, honest thoughts.

Quick Reply: My Impressions of Racing Brake Rotors