Sponsored by:

CA Smog Test Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 PM
SethW
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CA Smog Test Annoyances

I don't post often, but find that so much information is provided that I wanted to make sure I returned the favor.

Just came from a really annoying CA Smog Test. I replaced the exhaust with a Europipe (love it) as well as the boost hoses, as those are AFAIK, prone to fail. Ironically, the big issue was the boost hoses. They got all worked up that they were "not OEM Porsche hoses and since they are connected to the engine they are a problem".

I'm far from an expert in CARB, but I have a hard time believing that the letter or the spirit of the law was intended to take the non OEM part business and put it in the toilet. I explained my reasoning, and that these hoses don't affect emissions in any way. I get the "its the agency, not me sir".

Long story short, I passed (no printout of the actual numbers, odd?) I think they decided to just punt on it. They did take plenty of pictures and they said that they were "just wanting to learn".

This particular station was located at Three Twenty Three Woodside Road, near El Camino. Not too far from Ferrari of Silicon Valley.

Next time, I am getting a referral.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SethW
I don't post often, but find that so much information is provided that I wanted to make sure I returned the favor.

Just came from a really annoying CA Smog Test. I replaced the exhaust with a Europipe (love it) as well as the boost hoses, as those are AFAIK, prone to fail. Ironically, the big issue was the boost hoses. They got all worked up that they were "not OEM Porsche hoses and since they are connected to the engine they are a problem".

I'm far from an expert in CARB, but I have a hard time believing that the letter or the spirit of the law was intended to take the non OEM part business and put it in the toilet. I explained my reasoning, and that these hoses don't affect emissions in any way. I get the "its the agency, not me sir".

Long story short, I passed (no printout of the actual numbers, odd?) I think they decided to just punt on it. They did take plenty of pictures and they said that they were "just wanting to learn".

This particular station was located at Three Twenty Three Woodside Road, near El Camino. Not too far from Ferrari of Silicon Valley.

Next time, I am getting a referral.
In CA the goal is not to put the OEM parts businesses into the toilet but to put the entire automotive industry in the toilet. CA is doubling down on electric vehicle quotas even though these are money losers for the makers and buyers are shunning them for more conventional vehicles.

There is a real concern by the shop people that they may miss something that should fail the car. If the car is there as a "test" -- word is the CARB does spot check shops with test cars -- the shop can lose its license and cease to operate.

You just have to be prepared to if you take your car in for a smog check and it has any non-factory hardware -- even something as benign as intake hoses -- there can be a problem in passing the car.

My factory stock 996 Turbo comes in for considerable eyeballling by the tech when I take it in for its smog check. Last time I had the car in the tech had the engine compartment lid open and was peering into the engine compartment with a bright flash light. First time that's happened.

With the Boxster it never comes in for that level of scrutiny. Partly because the engine is rather hard to expose I guess. I do catch the tech casting a long glance at the exhaust. But it is factory stock and I guess that satisfies the tech.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Had my smog test done recently on my TT. Guy opened the engine compartment, but it looked like all he cared about were some specs on a sticker. Took all of 10 minutes. Aftermarket exhaust, otherwise stock.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were your boost hoses black or some flashy color? And yes, technically, anything that's part of the intake or exhaust system needs to be CARB approved for your application. That includes the hoses.

As stated, the state sends test cars around, so it's hard for the techs to look the other way even on pretty meaningless stuff.

Last time I got the turbo tested was pretty uneventful, they never even popped the engine lid. Interestingly it, unlike everything else I've ever owned does not require a "star" station.

I'm generally in favor of keeping emissions in check, but CA smog could probably stand some level of reform at this point. I recently ended up driving about a hundred miles with my v10 ford just to get some of the monitors to come ready after failing a smog test. Tail-pipe numbers were great before and after. And don't get me started on the CARB jerry can nozzles that ensure gasoline spills.

Quick Reply: CA Smog Test Annoyances