Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 to 2010 worth the price difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:32 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2008 to 2010 worth the price difference?

Hey gents, looking at getting into a TT. I know there are a number of big differences between an '08 / '09 and a 2010 (engine, pdk, etc). Up where I am that translates into a 20% price difference. So looking for some thoughts as to whether in the real world it's worth the extra 20 large to get into a 2010 in terms of performance, reliability, etc. Car will not see any track time. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

For me it was for a few specific reasons:
- got PTV which is a further refinement of the earlier AWD system (although it may eat brakes while tracking)
- dyanmic engine mounts which can react to minimize the engine movement out back when driving hard but still have some compliance for smoother idle NVH/etc. when driving sedately
- got better PCM 3 display and got rid of the phone buttons which always looked too dated to me (PCM 3 on 2009s but not 2008s) and I'd have to look at it everytime I'm in the car (it's the little things in life...)
- got better suspension in stock unmodified tune
- new enough that I could get with a factory CPO on it (not sure what the year cut off is)

The 2008-9 had a race proven Mezger engine but with a few possible coolant line and cam phasing issues that might be a relatively large out of pocket expense down the road if not warranteed (this was a big worry to me if I didn't find one that had those issues addressed already).

Auto transmissions are different between the generations as well so that might be a big driveability difference noted every time you use the vehicle. Manuals (may be different manufacturers) aren't as noticeably different in usage.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:24 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
Hey gents, looking at getting into a TT. I know there are a number of big differences between an '08 / '09 and a 2010 (engine, pdk, etc). Up where I am that translates into a 20% price difference. So looking for some thoughts as to whether in the real world it's worth the extra 20 large to get into a 2010 in terms of performance, reliability, etc. Car will not see any track time. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Personally, I think the only worthwhile reason to ditch the Mezger is if you MUST get an auto and want the PDK in the latest gen.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by theplings
Personally, I think the only worthwhile reason to ditch the Mezger is if you MUST get an auto and want the PDK in the latest gen.
In years past, i would agree. But that 9A1 engine is proving to be a beast too. But yes, if you must have an automatic, PDK over Tiptronic x100000000
Old 02-09-2017, 04:13 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Same looking car if you put them together. I would skip and get the 991 turbo. Honestly man take a look at the 07-12, same car with different stuff. Not worth it.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Same looking car if you put them together. I would skip and get the 991 turbo. Honestly man take a look at the 07-12, same car with different stuff. Not worth it.
Since I am starting to look for another TT as well and having owned a 997.1 TT, I disagree here as well.

PCM 3, different rear bumper with better looking bigger exhaust cut outs, not having to deal with the coolant lines and cam shaft issues are good enough reasons for my to go 2010+

What good is Metzger, if we have to spent $3000-$5000 for the above mentioned issues.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Since I am starting to look for another TT as well and having owned a 997.1 TT, I disagree here as well.

PCM 3, different rear bumper with better looking bigger exhaust cut outs, not having to deal with the coolant lines and cam shaft issues are good enough reasons for my to go 2010+

What good is Metzger, if we have to spent $3000-$5000 for the above mentioned issues.
Camshaft hysteria? There's such a small sample of vehicles with camshaft issues. That's like saying i don't want to live in California because the San Andreas Fault will cause it to sink into the Pacific Ocean.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Milzie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2009. Get updated PCM and leaves money in your pocket for DSC, exhaust, and tune.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
I went from a .1 to a .2. A lot of my reasons were mentioned in this thread... But the first thing I noticed is it felt like a different car. Everything felt more "buttoned up" and tight. From start up to turning the steering wheel...it all felt different. It feels noticeably faster in the seat of the pants but statistically is a lot faster so that makes sense. I researched for months before moving on from my .1. I spoke with various tuners as well as owners who made the change.

Originally Posted by Dodaleca
For me it was for a few specific reasons:
- got PTV which is a further refinement of the earlier AWD system (although it may eat brakes while tracking)
- dyanmic engine mounts which can react to minimize the engine movement out back when driving hard but still have some compliance for smoother idle NVH/etc. when driving sedately
- got better PCM 3 display and got rid of the phone buttons which always looked too dated to me (PCM 3 on 2009s but not 2008s) and I'd have to look at it everytime I'm in the car (it's the little things in life...)
- got better suspension in stock unmodified tune
- new enough that I could get with a factory CPO on it (not sure what the year cut off is)

The 2008-9 had a race proven Mezger engine but with a few possible coolant line and cam phasing issues that might be a relatively large out of pocket expense down the road if not warranteed (this was a big worry to me if I didn't find one that had those issues addressed already).
All my reasons too... especially the last paragraph. No coolant pipes to worry about and the spun cams may be forum hysteria but still seeing too much for my liking.

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
In years past, i would agree. But that 9A1 engine is proving to be a beast too.
This ^. I spoke to various Porsche tuners and the perception on the 9A1 has changed over the past couple years. I read a post from 2011 that said not to put a tune on them because they're weak and will fail...and another post from 2010 that said the engine and trans won't handle more than 500 HP...fast forward to today and they're making excess of 600 WHP and none of those cars exploded. The fuel system seems to be what's limiting them, not the internals. It's still largely unknown and still a lot of R&D going on. Seems every few months, tuners like ES Motor are making them faster and faster. Champion put one in the 9's with basic bolt-ons. Porsche JUST started racing the 9A1 so in motorsports now as well.

Last edited by Southpaw; 02-10-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
+1
The 991 has all the new cool $hit and will satisfy the sissy needing a warranty for some repair we don't know about or want to pay for.

997.2 are bad **** too but if you're going to newer technology, get the latest.latest

​​​​​​Also, some may think 997s look like an early led experiment.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Southpaw
I went from a .1 to a .2. A lot of my reasons were mentioned in this thread... But the first thing I noticed is it felt like a different car. Everything felt more "buttoned up" and tight. From start up to turning the steering wheel...it all felt different. It feels noticeably faster in the seat of the pants but statistically is a lot faster so that makes sense. I researched for months before moving on from my .1. I spoke with various tuners as well as owners who made the change.

All my reasons too... especially the last paragraph. No coolant pipes to worry about and the spun cams may be forum hysteria but still seeing too much for my liking.

This ^. I spoke to various Porsche tuners and the perception on the 9A1 has changed over the past couple years. I read a post from 2011 that said not to put a tune on them because they're weak and will fail...and another post from 2010 that said the engine and trans won't handle more than 500 HP...fast forward to today and they're making excess of 600 WHP and none of those cars exploded. The fuel system seems to be what's limiting them, not the internals. It's still largely unknown and still a lot of R&D going on. Seems every few months, tuners like ES Motor are making them faster and faster. Champion put one in the 9's with basic bolt-ons. Porsche JUST started racing the 9A1 so in motorsports now as well.
agree with the bolded, the 997.2TT I drove felt a bit more refined than the 997.1. Seats, dash, steering wheel and road feel just felt tighter as if the car was glued together better. PDK was super smooth. However the 997.1 feels like more of a race car, yet still refined. Get some older tech but that can be swapped easily. The cam issues can happen, happened to me. No coolant pipe issues here.

Is the 997.2 worth the extra cash? I think so if you can print money easily. However at the time I got mine, a 997.2 was 25-30% more cash and not worth the money to me, because end of the day the differences are minimal and most of it can be updated for $7-8k extra. That being a new exhaust, tune, DSC, and radio head unit. Personally I love my Pioneer over the PCM 3.1
Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all boils down to the 6 speed MT for me. Plus, sit in one of the 991's. Much bigger.
Pretty soon 911's will be approaching the early Panameras in size. They've been getting bigger and bigger for decades.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
+1
The 991 has all the new cool $hit and will satisfy the sissy needing a warranty for some repair we don't know about or want to pay for.

997.2 are bad **** too but if you're going to newer technology, get the latest.latest

​​​​​​Also, some may think 997s look like an early led experiment.
Getting the latest is a $30-40k price jump if you compare 997.2 to 991 turbo prices. Being that a 997.2 is around $85-90k and a 991 is around $130k used.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:37 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with 997.2 for same reasons as others, cam shaft , coolant pipes, suspension upgrades, etc. I found a well maintained driver grade tts for not much more than what others want for their garage queen 997.1. No brainer for me since I plan to drive it and enjoy!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

$20,000 price difference?! Must be Canadian dollars (just kidding)
When I was shopping for a 997 turbo, I didn't limit my search to .1 or .2.
I was focused on finding the best example within ball park $.
Each has + and -. I even looked at a few pdk "S".
I ended up w/ a CPO 2008 w/ some tasty options.

Edit: Probably don't want a cab up north, but triplenet's 2009 6 speed looks legit.

Quick Reply: 2008 to 2010 worth the price difference?