Sponsored by:

Mezger Engine Reliability and Repair Costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:15 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mezger Engine Reliability and Repair Costs

In researching the Mezger engine, I consistently find good things written about them; however, I wonder about their long term reliability and the cost to repair them when things malfunction.

There is a lot on this forum about the issues of leaking coolant lines and spun camshafts. Their costs to fix seem well documented. But, what happens when a total rebuild of the engine is required? Is the block generally salvageable, for do you trash it because you tore up once cylinder? What is the market like for parts for these engines? Are new parts always available? And, what about used or aftermarket parts? Is there a market out there for such items?

Lastly, has anyone had a total rebuild on their Mexger motor? And, what should I look forward to for the cost of doing that? Dealer or indi?

Sorry about all the questions.

Last edited by earossi; 02-06-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Search for T2 in 996 turbo forum. Spoiler alert - 450,000+ miles before rebuild, and when they opened the case, didn't even need a rebuild.

997.1 engine is basically the same except for VTG turbos.

Edit to emphasize: @ 10,000 miles per year that's 45 years.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:13 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

case has liners so you replace the piston liner and ring and move on. short of punching a hole in the caes virtually everything on the motor can be replaced if needed. as for aftermarket i have a host of aftermarket parts on mine. pauter rods, cp pistons and rings la sleeves regrind cams srm intake plenum, srm turbos, 2000 cc fid injectors billet fuel rails and much more for a 1000 hp motor
Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I'll get a few more now that I have corrected the spelling of Mezger in the title! Need to work on my proof reading.

I guess that my paranoia is based upon all that I have read about the early Boxster and 996 IMS failures that resulted in making boat anchors out of the motors due to the amount of debris that clogs the cooling passages on these engines. I'm fully aware that the Mezger engine does not have the same IMS setup as the Boxster engine; but, nonetheless, one wonders about the similarities of the water cooled motors.

I also have to get used to a plug changeout that costs $1100 to have done! I do all of my wrenching, and it sounds as though the motors are not easy to wrench on. So, I have quite a learning curb.

What's missing to me is any DIY write-ups on major engine work for these cars. Does anyone know where to get a set of shop manuals for the car?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Its nearly the same motor as in your 993 save for a few extra cams and some water lines. Some jobs, like plugs, require a few steps, but there are fewer tight spots than on the 993. If you have a good selection of tools, some decent diy instructions (therock88 has some good guides, just google it), and some resolve you'll be fine.

The bottom ends are fine if you keep decent oil in it, don't rev the snot out of it when cold, and don't put a ton of boost to it with a crap tune.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:53 PM
monty007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earossi,

TheRock88 has a lot of DIY's that he has kindly put together for the forum (LINK). I have found several on here and on 6speed. I have used most of them as I wrench on my own car and the instructions are great with pics attached. I have owned my '09 turbo cab coming up on 2 years. I had one faulty PTM control module ($450 CAD) to replace. I have done my own oil changes and everything else has been extremely reliable. No IMS bearing on the turbo motors.

If you have patience, you can do most at home with some good tools. Your heritage with P-cars is amazing! Just get it and drive it.

Edit: Looks like Quadcammer beat me to it.
The following users liked this post:
Una Vida (07-26-2023)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:26 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its nearly the same motor as in your 993 save for a few extra cams and some water lines. Some jobs, like plugs, require a few steps, but there are fewer tight spots than on the 993. If you have a good selection of tools, some decent diy instructions (therock88 has some good guides, just google it), and some resolve you'll be fine.

The bottom ends are fine if you keep decent oil in it, don't rev the snot out of it when cold, and don't put a ton of boost to it with a crap tune.
Quad,

Thanks for the input. It's reassuring. I actually have just about every tool made for mankind. I'm a tool junkie! And, I have a climatised garage with a lift, so working on cars is fairly easy. But, the tight jobs like plugs can become exacerbating.

The more I look at these 997 turbos the more it is apparent that they are at least as robust and reliable as my 993. I just need to "learn" about them. That will take time. I take delivery next week, and the first thing I will do is to put the car on a lift to begin learning how to navigate the underside of the car. And, I won't stop until I find the opportunity to drop the powertrain out of the car. Doing that allows you to clean up everything and replace anything that appears to be an issue.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with quad 100%. If you can handle a 993, this is a cakewalk.
Which car did you end up buying?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Quad,

Thanks for the input. It's reassuring. I actually have just about every tool made for mankind. I'm a tool junkie! And, I have a climatised garage with a lift, so working on cars is fairly easy. But, the tight jobs like plugs can become exacerbating.

The more I look at these 997 turbos the more it is apparent that they are at least as robust and reliable as my 993. I just need to "learn" about them. That will take time. I take delivery next week, and the first thing I will do is to put the car on a lift to begin learning how to navigate the underside of the car. And, I won't stop until I find the opportunity to drop the powertrain out of the car. Doing that allows you to clean up everything and replace anything that appears to be an issue.
Basically, if you're able to put all the engine tin bolts back onto your 993 with the engine in the car, the 7tt will be a non issue.

Spark plugs my first time took a while, but i did it without lowering the motor or removing the turbos. As with most things, now that I know what needs to be done, it should go far quicker.

Actually the most annoying thing about the 7tt is the underbody panels. They overlap in more than a few spots (unlike just the little tabs on the 3), so it can be a pain to get it all reassembled properly.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine block is stamped 964
Old 02-07-2017, 02:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Basically, if you're able to put all the engine tin bolts back onto your 993 with the engine in the car, the 7tt will be a non issue.

Spark plugs my first time took a while, but i did it without lowering the motor or removing the turbos. As with most things, now that I know what needs to be done, it should go far quicker.

Actually the most annoying thing about the 7tt is the underbody panels. They overlap in more than a few spots (unlike just the little tabs on the 3), so it can be a pain to get it all reassembled properly.
I did my plugs the same way, no lowering turbos on. Pulled exhaust IC and bumper etc.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Quite honestly, it's pretty rare an entire engine needs to be rebuilt on any car. That's why manufacturers offer such long powertrain warranties. It's the ancillary parts that become a burden such as the A/C compressor, evaporator, clutch, spark plugs/coils (normally easy to replace, not on a 911 Turbo), etc
Old 02-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Had to replace my coolant pipes at 89K miles, add Sharkwerks elbows and pin it all.

$8K at dealer because I am a lazy old bastage with metal hips and a back problem, plus I believe in "while we are in there".

Your 993 is the right color and model (see my sig) for gaining Mezger experience. Had my top end rebuilt at 120K (SAI, chain cover leaks and more "while we are in there") and sold it at 161K.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:35 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Had to replace my coolant pipes at 89K miles, add Sharkwerks elbows and pin it all.

$8K at dealer because I am a lazy old bastage with metal hips and a back problem, plus I believe in "while we are in there".

Your 993 is the right color and model (see my sig) for gaining Mezger experience. Had my top end rebuilt at 120K (SAI, chain cover leaks and more "while we are in there") and sold it at 161K.
Hi Terry,

I absolutely love Arena Red. After 6 years of ownership of my red 993, I still would spend time in my garage just gawking at my car! When I began my search for a 997tt I really wanted Ruby Red which appears to be the same as Arena Red. The only car I found was an 09 cab with black interior. It was a beautiful car, but at a price point outside my range. That car is still for sale; but, I finally got over it.

Talking colors, seems like most of the cars out there are black, then silver or white. Having owned two black Porsches, I swore I would never own another! Silver would be fine, but I could not find the right car. Looks like I am going to end up with a midnight blue over tan cab. Car has a blue top.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Agree with quad 100%. If you can handle a 993, this is a cakewalk.
Which car did you end up buying?
I have a deposit down on an 08 997tt 6MT cab, midnight blue over a natural leather interior. I fly out to LA next week to close the deal.
The following 3 users liked this post by earossi:
harlycharly (11-23-2020), Rad997TT (11-30-2020), uphoto (11-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Mezger Engine Reliability and Repair Costs