Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experience with dealership, not sure what to think at this point..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Run, don't walk, don't pass Go, don't collect $200, just run from this one. Too much shady stuff going on. You'll be far better off shopping around for a reputable reseller and better deal.

Good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
Nope, buying sight unseen. It looks like a beautiful example of a 911 Turbo in the pictures, and the dealer seems friendly and trustworthy over the phone, but there are so many red flags at this point I am ready to walk away and move on.I have definitely done everything in my power to hold up my end of the bargain. They are the ones that aren't cooperating. How can I physically buy a car that I can't even get the title for? They can't even prove that they own the car to legally sell it and that it is lien free.
Buying sight unseen and giving them money first? This has all the makings of an epic thread.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never buy a (non-warranty) car without seeing it first.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Buying sight unseen and giving them money first? This has all the makings of an epic thread.
Originally Posted by CodeRed
I would never buy a (non-warranty) car without seeing it first.
Not everyone is in a position to see a car they want to buy before taking the plunge. Plenty of people have bought higher end cars sight unseen and had it shipped to them without even going to look at it and been 100% happy. It's all about trusting the seller, good photos, documentation, and lot's of questions, etc. FWIW, had I known the dealer was going to pull this, I wouldn't have given them a penny, and I only gave them a $1000 deposit to secure the vehicle. I hadn't intended to give them a dime more until I saw the car in person, and it's just a deposit, there are methods for getting my money back if things go south.

Anyways, I had a local party go drop in on the dealership unannounced today. I am fairly happy with what he reported. He spoke to the salesman I have been coordinating with at great length and got a basic rundown of the history of the car. The service records which are needed to back up their claims of maintenance are being scrubbed of personal information and will be provided to me. The Title which reflects them as the owner is in the process of being procured, and the car was on the lift having a clutch put in when he went to look at it. This addressed my 3 major concerns, so things are looking up. Not going to make excuses for these guys, they should have just been up front about the Title and service records with me from the beginning. My guess is they are much easier to work with in person than over the phone.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Not everyone is in a position to see a car they want to buy before taking the plunge. Plenty of people have bought higher end cars sight unseen and had it shipped to them without even going to look at it and been 100% happy. It's all about trusting the seller, good photos, documentation, and lot's of questions, etc. FWIW, had I known the dealer was going to pull this, I wouldn't have given them a penny, and I only gave them a $1000 deposit to secure the vehicle. I hadn't intended to give them a dime more until I saw the car in person, and it's just a deposit, there are methods for getting my money back if things go south.

Anyways, I had a local party go drop in on the dealership unannounced today. I am fairly happy with what he reported. He spoke to the salesman I have been coordinating with at great length and got a basic rundown of the history of the car. The service records which are needed to back up their claims of maintenance are being scrubbed of personal information and will be provided to me. The Title which reflects them as the owner is in the process of being procured, and the car was on the lift having a clutch put in when he went to look at it. This addressed my 3 major concerns, so things are looking up. Not going to make excuses for these guys, they should have just been up front about the Title and service records with me from the beginning. My guess is they are much easier to work with in person than over the phone.
That's great news! So maybe most of us, me included, were wrong here and this will end up sweetly for you, getting the car of your dreams. Hope so. Can't wait to see pics... Good luck.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:12 AM
C's Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with Domer911 on this one. Just lookin out for you, good luck
Old 01-14-2017, 09:45 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be one helluva deal for you to put up with all this crap. I would've been gone after your 3rd paragraph.

I'd strongly consider walking away. This deal has all the makings of an expensive nightmare.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:55 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Not going to make excuses for these guys, they should have just been up front about the Title and service records with me from the beginning. My guess is they are much easier to work with in person than over the phone.
BS. The minute you put a deposit on the car makes you a customer and they should bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied and happy. The reason this dealer became accommodating is because there is a physical guy in front of them representing you and can no longer blow you off.

Jan and Feb are the slowest months at a car dealership. I am fairly certain they are not flooded with work.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with chsu74
Old 01-15-2017, 01:47 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
BS. The minute you put a deposit on the car makes you a customer and they should bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied and happy. The reason this dealer became accommodating is because there is a physical guy in front of them representing you and can no longer blow you off.

Jan and Feb are the slowest months at a car dealership. I am fairly certain they are not flooded with work.
I agree, I am not 100% sure why they chose to make things difficult for me. In my email I drafted up the other day where I basically told them if they didn't comply with my requests within 24 hours I was walking, I mentioned that there are plenty of dealerships that will bend over backwards to make a buyer, especially an out of country buyer happy, and I advised them that if they weren't one of those dealerships I would go find one that was. FWIW, I don't know if my "representative" going in had everything to do with them beginning to comply. I think it was more the fact that I threatened to walk on the deal. I got a copy of the Title and my pictures I requested around 8 in the morning, and he didn't go in until around noon. Though, something I find quite humorous is that the guy I had go into the dealership told my salesman that I was very wary of the deal and had my doubts about their authenticity, and the salesman said that he too was wary of ME lol. As if they have something to lose in this. I guess maybe because I am an out of country buyer which I believe they said they've never dealt with that I scared them? I don't know..

Anyways, at this point I see no harm in providing the dealers information. I am not going to slander them or make this deal anymore difficult than it's already been. I am just going to ride it out, continue to make any contact I need to make with them through email from now on so there is record of it, fly in on the 31st and close the deal in person, and I expect that the car is 100% as advertised and they have service records in hand showing all the work they claim they've done. If not, I am not handing over a penny more or signing any documents until they can provide it. A HUGE factor in me buying this particular car was the massive amount of money they claim to have put into it for maintenance recently. If they can't document that then I'm out.

360 Exotics in Austin Texas. They are business partners with Boost Logic (and share the same warehouse) who is a very well known tuner. From what I understand, both companies are very well respected and have nothing but good reviews, which is why I was taken aback by their constant push-back that I received.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

This deal sounds like a real cluster****. Way too many red flags. I would move on. Plus Paypal sides with the buyer/purchaser the majority of disputes.

Also, never heard of a dealership holding a car for a month on a $1000 deposit. They will sell that car underneath you guaranteed. Doesn't matter if you have a signed notarized contract or whatever. Trust me.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the OP has broken the first rule of car buying: Do not get emotionally attached until you own the car.

Good luck OP and I hope it all works out for you.

Eddie
Old 01-15-2017, 02:46 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I was a seller, any interest outside of the country is a red flag. I will never sell to anyone prolonging the sale to next month, counting pennies for a down payment.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

He's buying the car.
Fell in love sight unseen and now no matter what happens he will buy it. More angst than the twilight series until he does, but he will be buying it.

Hopefully it'll turn out well. Or at least ok.
If not then as others already said, next time buy the seller not the car.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:57 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd pass.

Quick Reply: Bad experience with dealership, not sure what to think at this point..?