Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016 | 05:52 PM
mariusz201
Advanced

Default Car won't start

I have not started my 997 turbo in over a month. Today went to start it, and the dashboard lights were flashing on and off and there was a clicking sound. Additionally, the tachometer needle was turning round and round. My tachometer never worked b4 (the digits in the middle would not light up) and they did for a split second while the dashboard lights were flashing. Now, no power at all. I can't even open the front or back trunk. Can't even lock the doors with my key.

Is this the battery or something else wrong with electrical system? thank you.
Old 12-27-2016 | 06:06 PM
ctony66
Racer

I would say dead battery. You also may want to pull your fuel pump fuses and crank it before you start it if it has sat that long. Build some oil pressure then pop them back in.
Old 12-27-2016 | 06:43 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Dead battery. IMO you need to keep a battery maintainer attached to these cars if they are going to sit for over a week.
Old 12-28-2016 | 02:04 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Agree, battery. Go buy a fresh one, takes 10 minutes to install. (You might be able to charge it, but in the scheme of things they are cheap.)
Old 12-28-2016 | 06:52 PM
mariusz201
Advanced

My battery is completely dead. I can't even take the keys out of the ignition. I tried the method to pop the hood whereby you connect jumper cables to another battery, pop out the hood fuse and connect the cables to that. It did not work as pressing the open hood button in car or on key didn't pop the hood. Is there another method I can try to get access to the battery? I can't imagine I have to call a tow truck to bring it to a dealership for this issue. thanks
Old 12-28-2016 | 08:46 PM
ctony66
Racer

If I remember correctly you need to use the key fob to pop the hood after you connect a jumper to the fuse box connector. I don't think the switch by the door will work. Try that before you call a truck.
Old 12-29-2016 | 03:30 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ctony66
If I remember correctly you need to use the key fob to pop the hood after you connect a jumper to the fuse box connector. I don't think the switch by the door will work. Try that before you call a truck.
I don't ever remember that one and I've been through this many times over the years. Are you sure you had good connections when you jumped things? Plus to the "fuse" thingy and make sure you have a really good ground connection. Go buy a new battery at your local auto parts place and a decent set of jumpers and make sure you get a good ground connection, should work. No need for an OEM battery. I have AutoZone, first one died after 2-3 years, they checked it, and handed me a new one no charge. I think we use an H7 battery but double check.
Old 12-29-2016 | 11:33 AM
cam2008
Racer

Originally Posted by ctony66
I agree, that's how I had to do it. Leave the cables connected in the fuse box to let the battery charge up a bit, too if really really dead.
Old 12-29-2016 | 01:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mariusz201
My battery is completely dead. I can't even take the keys out of the ignition. I tried the method to pop the hood whereby you connect jumper cables to another battery, pop out the hood fuse and connect the cables to that. It did not work as pressing the open hood button in car or on key didn't pop the hood. Is there another method I can try to get access to the battery? I can't imagine I have to call a tow truck to bring it to a dealership for this issue. thanks
If I read you correctly you do not remove the front trunk lid fuse.

You get the emergency power contactor extended so you can connect a 12V power cable to it, then connect the ground to the door latch catch.

You should be able to use the switch on the door sill -- or wherever it is in your car -- to open the front trunk lid (or engine compartment lid).

The button on the key fob will probably not work as this requires the DME/security module be fully powered up and by this connection they will not be.

This power connection is not intended to charge the battery or jump start the car. The connection is just intended to supply enough electrical power to open the front trunk lid to get at a low/dead battery.

If this doesn't work for some reason one must rely upon the emergency release cable to open the front trunk lid (or the engine compartment lid).
Old 12-29-2016 | 02:38 PM
mariusz201
Advanced

I got it to work. Changed battery and runs like new. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Car won't start