Sponsored by:

Coolant leak coming from front of the engine passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 03:32 PM
clb0099
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak coming from front of the engine passenger side

So this is my first post in a long time and of course is a major one lol. Alittle stats on my car. Its a 2007 porsche 997 tt with 72k miles. The car has softronics tune and also has aftermarket injectors. Other than those 2 upgrades the car is stock. While the car was sitting I noticed coolant on my driveway but couldn't figure out where it was coming from so I decided to bring it to mechanic. He confirmed its definitely leaking from the front part of the engine on the passenger side only. Could that be a head-gasket? He said it could be a cracked head or block but he said that the leak it doesn't happen all the time as he had to pressure test it and bring it up to 15 psi then it starts to leak. Its not the coolant pipes,water pump, coolant lines
In order to confirm exactly where its leaking from my mechanic is going to drop the motor and see. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

chances of a cracked head or block are near zero unless you seriously overheated the sumbitch.

could be looking at leaking o-rings from the oil cooler (heat exchanger) or any number of coolant fittings.

for some reason I don't trust your mechanic.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by clb0099
So this is my first post in a long time and of course is a major one lol. Alittle stats on my car. Its a 2007 porsche 997 tt with 72k miles. The car has softronics tune and also has aftermarket injectors. Other than those 2 upgrades the car is stock. While the car was sitting I noticed coolant on my driveway but couldn't figure out where it was coming from so I decided to bring it to mechanic. He confirmed its definitely leaking from the front part of the engine on the passenger side only. Could that be a head-gasket? He said it could be a cracked head or block but he said that the leak it doesn't happen all the time as he had to pressure test it and bring it up to 15 psi then it starts to leak. Its not the coolant pipes,water pump, coolant lines
In order to confirm exactly where its leaking from my mechanic is going to drop the motor and see. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated
Dropping the motor is what might be required to fix the leak depending upon the source of the leak but seems to be a bit extreme for identifying where a leak is coming from.

I'd push for a solid diagnosis of where the leak is coming from without having to drop the motor, if possible and I think it possible.

If a cracked head or block is suspected then one course of action would be to check for signs of oil in the coolant and signs of coolant in the oil.

For the former oil drops will float on the coolant in the tank.

For the latter an oil analysis which looks for among other things anti-freeze in the oil is a good way.

If no sign of oil in the coolant is found and while one is waiting for the results of the oil analysis a pressure test with the car on a lift could be all that is needed.

Or in some cases better is a "hot" pressure test. In this test one tops up the coolant level with distilled water but be sure you don't overfill the system.

Be sure the cap is clean and there the cap threads to the tank is clean so the cap can be tightened down all the way and has a good seal at the top of the tank.

With the A/C off drive the car around the neighborhood until the engine is fully up to temperature.

Back at home or at the shop raise RPMs to say 1K until the radiator fans come on. Then shut off the engine. The heat load will raise the temperature of the coolant and its pressure. With everything hot and under pressure the leak is sure to happen.

Being ready with a bright flashlight, the car on the lift, and with a mirror on a stick, and being aware the engine or hose or whatever can gush hot coolant at any time, the source of the leak searched for.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Get hold of a borescope and find the leak. Don't drop the engine until you do.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:01 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an '07 tt as well and mine started leaking near the front of the engine in the center two years ago. During the winter that year, it was garaged for over 6 weeks and when I pulled it out finally there was a puddle of coolant. Last year I took it to my local mechanic and they pulled the engine to weld the water pipes and replace the plastic elbows with the Sharkwerk elbows. The oil cooler was also leaking coolant. Before you assume the worst, have the simple stuff checked first. The suggestion of the borescope would be the first thing to do and the most likely spot of the leak is the know weakness in these cars, which is the epoxy fitted water pipes. An easy fix, just not a cheap one.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:11 PM
clb0099
Instructor

Rob,

do you mind sending me the link for the coolant pipes you replaced from sharkwerks. Also while the motor is out I am replacing motor mounts, transmission mount, coils,sparks,hoses,coolant tank,water pump, thermostat, and any hoses that look like then need to come out. Also I bought the torque solution coolant pipe repair kit. I figure to spend a fortune on this car for the repair.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:33 AM
bsh
Track Day

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=394

Quick Reply: Coolant leak coming from front of the engine passenger side