Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE of POTENTIAL SCAM???? Complete Set of Used Ceramic Rotors, Calipers, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016 | 12:00 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Default BEWARE of POTENTIAL SCAM???? Complete Set of Used Ceramic Rotors, Calipers, etc...

Edited. POTENTIAL SCAM

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/962957-complete-set-of-porsche-carbon-ceramic-brakes.html#post13751303

I saw this ad on RL Parts...

JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 11-17-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 11-17-2016 | 11:47 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by turbo 997
How can you tell if its legit and the PCCBs are in good condition? Lot of money to spend buying off a perfect stranger or do you know the vendor John?
I revised my original post... I did not see that these were used...I do not know the seller. Thanks for pointing this out...JB
Old 11-17-2016 | 12:11 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Originally Posted by turbo 997
Also I understand the weight advantage but do ceramics actually perform better than steels?

Was at a track day recently and watched a 991 turbo S go straight through a corner lol as his ceramics were shot (think brake fluid was too hot). In terms of stopping distance and fade are steels and ceramics roughly equal?
Every test I have seen shows virtually equal stopping distance performance. The only advantage to Pccb's is unsprung weight (and aficionados claim that they have better initial "bite").
Old 11-17-2016 | 12:12 PM
Fdude
Intermediate

I contacted the seller. Not sure about condition. He said they had 1,000 miles on it. My proposal was to have the brakes sent to GMG racing and if they checked out I would wire him the money. Understandably, he was hesitant to ship the brakes without payment
Old 11-17-2016 | 12:56 PM
ctony66
Racer

Looks pretty similar huh

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...mp-Rotors-Pccb

http://www.racingbazar.com/de/parts/...er_rotors_pccb
Old 11-17-2016 | 12:57 PM
Dinosaur
Track Day

i'm in contact with him too...anyone that can vouch for seller?

oddly looks similar to a 2013 ad:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...er-rotors.html
Old 11-17-2016 | 12:58 PM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Scam, acct was hacked. Those pics are from another sale.

Asked for pics and it was from another sale here too. Phone number is a burn #. Will not meet locally first without wiring $2500.
Old 11-17-2016 | 01:27 PM
johnbelk
Pro

I feel bad about posting this as the OP, but maybe we prevented a scam from occuring...it does seem to good to be true...as they say.

Here's a simple way to start the process..ask the seller to take a picture of the item with the daily newspaper and a copy of their driver license and either text, PM it or email it to you. Easy enough...to help you determine if the seller is legit. JB
Old 11-17-2016 | 02:01 PM
ctony66
Racer

I reported it as soon as it was posted but they didn't pull it for some reason so I figured the admin knew something I didn't.
Old 11-17-2016 | 02:15 PM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

I told him I would pick it up locally. He wanted a $2,500 wire to meet up.
Old 11-17-2016 | 02:41 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

So.... I have to surmise that someone who says "the only advantage to PCCBs is unsprung weight".... does not have them.

The PCCB advantages for the track are probably unsprung weight, initial bite AND less fade. But they are an expensive thing to be using up on the track because they do wear and if all the electric nannys are working on something like a 991S Turbo, the car is using those brakes a lot more than the driver is when hard in the corners. So track days get out of line expensive if the PCCBs are being used up.

For a car driven on the roads at 5000 to 10000 miles per year the advantages are different. From a driver standpoint the unsprung weight becomes negligible. Initial bite is gratifying for sure as a driver and fade will never occur but longevity along with ZERO metallic brake dust are the area of greatest advantage from my point of view. I have had Porsches in the garage for thirty five years and may buy more but they wont be without the PCCBs. The rotors are good forever for all practical purposes as long as they are maintained and consideration is given while removing wheels. They are incredible to have in daily use and I know I will be spanked for saying this but almost every time I see a white or yellow... even red 911 without PCCBs, it has brake dust on the paint of the car as well as the wheels. Unless of course the car is cleaned every second day!
Old 11-17-2016 | 02:53 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTurboRoo
So.... I have to surmise that someone who says "the only advantage to PCCBs is unsprung weight".... does not have them.

... but longevity along with ZERO metallic brake dust are the area of greatest advantage from my point of view...
Really? Zero? Serious question.
Old 11-17-2016 | 07:40 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Originally Posted by TTurboRoo

The PCCB advantages for the track are probably unsprung weight, initial bite AND less fade. But they are an expensive thing to be using up on the track because they do wear and if all the electric nannys are working on something like a 991S Turbo, the car is using those brakes a lot more than the driver is when hard in the corners. So track days get out of line expensive if the PCCBs are being used up.

For a car driven on the roads at 5000 to 10000 miles per year the advantages are different. From a driver standpoint the unsprung weight becomes negligible. Initial bite is gratifying for sure as a driver and fade will never occur but longevity along with ZERO metallic brake dust are the area of greatest advantage from my point of view. I have had Porsches in the garage for thirty five years and may buy more but they wont be without the PCCBs. The rotors are good forever for all practical purposes as long as they are maintained and consideration is given while removing wheels. They are incredible to have in daily use and I know I will be spanked for saying this but almost every time I see a white or yellow... even red 911 without PCCBs, it has brake dust on the paint of the car as well as the wheels. Unless of course the car is cleaned every second day!
You are correct, I do not have them. And, yes, less fade which is only going to be an issue if you track it, and little brake dust. I can't imagine that someone is going to pay $15k to convert to reduce brake dust though. I was just trying to make the point that the real purpose of brakes is stopping capability and Pccb's show no difference. They do last a long time but most turbo owners aren't putting tremendous mileage on their cars and iron rotors are pretty cheap. My 2007 is still on its original rotors.

So, stopping performance, no difference. Weight, fade, brake dust, longevity, there is a difference. Not trying to knock them, they are nice. Interesting that hard core track rats swap them out for iron though.
Old 11-17-2016 | 08:00 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

The hardest core track rats run them and just pay the price of entry when they use them up. The "average" hard core track rat still isn't up for the costs of replacing rotors eaten up by the stability control etc. while tracking, so they put them on the shelf to protect them and live with the brake dust!

To Domer911: They are ceramic composite... not steel. So no metallic brake dust or more correctly put, metallic content dependent on the specific content of the brake pads. . The extreme hardness and tiny amount of wear equates to arguably zero metallic brake dust.

Quick Reply: BEWARE of POTENTIAL SCAM???? Complete Set of Used Ceramic Rotors, Calipers, etc...