Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Tuning and ByDesign = GREAT Service!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cobb Tuning and ByDesign = GREAT Service!

I know this isn't new news around here but I'd like to add my compliments to all of the guys at Cobb Tuning (especially Mitch) and Sam at ByDesign.

I recently purchased a Europipe exhaust system, 3 bar sensors and a Cobb Accessport from another member here locally for my 2012 TTS. When having trouble during installation I contacted Cobb's support team and they determined within a few minutes that I had a "sticky button" and offered to replace the unit overnight at their expense (including the return of the defective unit.)

Second owner, out of warranty (about a year and a half old), no credit card asked for, no questions asked, just "hey, it's bad and we're going to make it good." Simply outstanding!

After receiving the new unit I had a second problem that was caused because I have a mods4cars controller on the car to remotely control the convertible top and provide other much needed features. After another couple of calls to Cobb and discussions with their support team and engineers we narrowed down the problem, disabled the unit temporarily and the installation went flawlessly.

Before purchasing the unit I had several email interchanges with Mitch, even over the weekends and he was always very prompt and helpful with his answers. My phone calls were answered VERY quickly by guys that truly cared about resolving the issues and were very knowledgeable.

After the successful installation I worked with Sam at ByDesign to do a custom tune remotely. Once again it's not new news around here, but the service Sam provides is extremely good. Like the guys at Cobb, he communicates very well and very quickly both via email and telephone, and he's VERY good at what he does. The custom tune is AWESOME and this thing is a BEAST now!

Customer support and customer service at this level is extremely rare in today's market, and I just wanted to take a few minutes to say THANKS publicly. If you're looking to purchase great products and services from people who will stand behind them after the sale, you won't do any better than these guys!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:49 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cirrusly
I know this isn't new news around here but I'd like to add my compliments to all of the guys at Cobb Tuning (especially Mitch) and Sam at ByDesign.

I recently purchased a Europipe exhaust system, 3 bar sensors and a Cobb Accessport from another member here locally for my 2012 TTS. When having trouble during installation I contacted Cobb's support team and they determined within a few minutes that I had a "sticky button" and offered to replace the unit overnight at their expense (including the return of the defective unit.)

Second owner, out of warranty (about a year and a half old), no credit card asked for, no questions asked, just "hey, it's bad and we're going to make it good." Simply outstanding!

After receiving the new unit I had a second problem that was caused because I have a mods4cars controller on the car to remotely control the convertible top and provide other much needed features. After another couple of calls to Cobb and discussions with their support team and engineers we narrowed down the problem, disabled the unit temporarily and the installation went flawlessly.

Before purchasing the unit I had several email interchanges with Mitch, even over the weekends and he was always very prompt and helpful with his answers. My phone calls were answered VERY quickly by guys that truly cared about resolving the issues and were very knowledgeable.

After the successful installation I worked with Sam at ByDesign to do a custom tune remotely. Once again it's not new news around here, but the service Sam provides is extremely good. Like the guys at Cobb, he communicates very well and very quickly both via email and telephone, and he's VERY good at what he does. The custom tune is AWESOME and this thing is a BEAST now!

Customer support and customer service at this level is extremely rare in today's market, and I just wanted to take a few minutes to say THANKS publicly. If you're looking to purchase great products and services from people who will stand behind them after the sale, you won't do any better than these guys!
Does the COBB Tune revise the PDK's clamping force similar to a competitor's tune. Just curious as I consider custom tune options.
How do you like the Europipe and which version did you purchase? What does a 3 Bar Sensor do and what's the benefit?
Thanks for the post!!!
JB
Old 09-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Been meaning to do a Cobb with custom ByDesign tune. Is there a significant difference in horsepower and drivability in an OTS tune versus a custom ByDesign tune? Hopefully Sam can chime in. I bought a Kline from him recently and i agree, top notch service.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:15 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 959 Likes on 585 Posts

Hi guys! Thank you so much S! We get to make lots of great friends in this business! You have been great to deal with as well and your shares by of the cable helps the community!

Proud to work with the Cobb crew and be their #1 dealer/tuner!

Hi John, the tunes don't mess with PDK parameters but keep your eyes open for the first full PDK tuning! For now we are putting down between 650+ HP to the wheels trouble free and 750 on the 991's!

Hi J! The OTS maps are well developed. Custom tuning allows us to use the Cobb AP's Full capabilities in order to customize all parameters to your vehicle, fuel and hardware. There are differences making an opportunity to customize each car for full potential. Most guys feel it and love it.

Cheers guys!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 09-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Does the COBB Tune revise the PDK's clamping force similar to a competitor's tune. Just curious as I consider custom tune options.
How do you like the Europipe and which version did you purchase? What does a 3 Bar Sensor do and what's the benefit?
Thanks for the post!!!
JB
I see Sam already answered "no" to the clamping force of the PDK with the Cobb tune currently. I don't know that it's necessary at this level as I don't feel any slippage whatsoever.

I love the Europipe. I got the 100 cell catted version, and it's plenty loud enough for me. I wanted to get rid of the "vacuum cleaner" sound and it definitely does that without being overly loud. However, when you're in the throttle it really has a good sound. It still doesn't sound as good IMO as a NA car with the PSE, but there are always tradeoffs!

The 3 bar sensors can monitor higher pressures than the stock 2 bar sensors can monitor and they allow a custom tuner (such as Sam) to increase the boost levels higher than the stock 2 sensors can support.

I figured for the relatively inexpensive (inexpensive compared to the cost of the car, engine, other upgrades, etc.) that it was well worth it to have the custom tune done and have an expert tune it and verify that the tune was right for my car with my specific upgrades (Europipe, 3 bar sensors, etc.)
Old 09-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Cirrusly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Been meaning to do a Cobb with custom ByDesign tune. Is there a significant difference in horsepower and drivability in an OTS tune versus a custom ByDesign tune? Hopefully Sam can chime in. I bought a Kline from him recently and i agree, top notch service.
Honestly I'm not sure that there's going to be a "significant" difference if your setup is the same as (or very similar to )the setup that the OTS tune was designed for. My guess...... probably not as Cobb does extensive testing before releasing an OTS tune.

However, it only stands to reason that Cobb is going to be VERY conservative with the OTS tunes. I'm quite certain that improvements can always be made if the custom tuner can work with the actual logs from your specific logs and create a tune that creates as much smooth, safe power as possible.

I like the comfort level of knowing that the tune was optimized for my particular setup and that my logs were reviewed by experts to ensure that everything was working properly. Small price for insurance as well as power IMO.

Necessary, probably not. But then neither is a TTS in the first place!

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning and ByDesign = GREAT Service!