Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slave Upgrade to Improve Clutch Feel - BBi or EVOMS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:35 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Slave Upgrade to Improve Clutch Feel - BBi or EVOMS?

I'm looking into a new slave cylinder to improve clutch feel and debating between BBi vs. EVOMS. From what I read on BBi, it sounded great (nice and heavy, plenty of feedback), but EVOMS is less clear. I've seen comments here and there around both and got some great insight from Chris and Yogi911, but hoping to get some more comprehensive feedback before dropping ~$2K.

My car is all stock except wheels, and I'm not looking to accommodate additional power. I'm at 22k miles and clutch shows no signs of fatigue. Would like to avoid any unnecessary spend that doesn't help me achieve my goal of improved clutch feel, unless it's an advisable item to address while we're in there. Specifically, I like a firm, heavier clutch with a lower catch-point; thus, I cannot stand the stock 997TT clutch feel, particularly when compared with that of my 981 Spyder. Not a DIY'er, so taking this to my local indy wrench, who's a real pro and seemed ever-so-slightly in favor of EVOMS, if only because it's been out longer and had more reps to refine.

Anyone out there who's done a slave replacement with either one who can share their experiences? Thanks in advance.

Links for parts...

http://bbiautosport.com/new/index.ph...n-upgrade-kit1

http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_GT2_Clutc...clugt2slck.htm
Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I am interested in seeing the responses to this thread. I don't like the feel of the stock clutch either. It's one of the most difficult clutches that I've ever driven. It feels completely different than the clutch in my 996 C4S did.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question, what are the other options (GT2) for superior feel?
Old 07-28-2016, 02:11 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be able to answer from personal experience in a couple of weeks. I'm having my clutch replaced with EVOMS' Stage III, along with the GT2 slave conversion. My pressure plate will be stronger than stock, so the results won't translate perfectly. I'm keeping the DM flywheel and sprung disk, though.

Louis
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Update: I installed the BBi clutch slave + GT3 clutch spring. The result is fantastic: firmer clutch, significant improvement in feel, and a modestly lower effective engagement point. It requires greater effort, but I wouldn't call it heavy. And more than anything, the net effect is a much smoother action. Gone are the awkward starts with the stock clutch that gave no feel. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

Note: I originally did the BBi clutch slave w/out the GT3 spring, drove it for a bit, and then decided to add the GT3 spring. Without the spring, it was very heavy (the BBi part removes the hydraulic assist from water pump, so a stronger spring helps partially compensate for loss of assist). I like a heavier clutch feel, but it was borderline too much w/out the stronger GT3 spring (it would feel good when pushing it, say, at the track, but it would crush you around town). If stock is 25 lbs of resistance, BBi slave w/out GT3 spring was probably ~75+ lbs, and BBi slave w/ GT3 spring is probably ~50 lbs. By comparison, now feels more in-line with my 981 Spyder, though slightly stiffer (and better).
Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

BTW: Thanks to several of you for letting me pick your brains as I tried to figure out my options. Special thanks to Kevin from Ultimate Motorwerks, who has tons of expertise. He has answers to the questions I didn't even know to ask!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting. Of all the Porsches I've had, the worst was the 993tt, clutch was like a feather, never got used to it.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:06 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Update: I installed the BBi clutch slave + GT3 clutch spring. .
Do you have the part number for the GT3 Clutch spring?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:01 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Part # is 997-423-081-06 for the GT3 Clutch Spring.

Duckstu posted it here on another thread a month or two back.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:47 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Thanks for link to parts.

So, does BBi kit make the clutch pedal feel just like GT2/GT3?

I'm assuming Gt2 and Gt3 are exactly the same.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:19 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Thanks for link to parts.

So, does BBi kit make the clutch pedal feel just like GT2/GT3?

I'm assuming Gt2 and Gt3 are exactly the same.
I've never had the pleasure of driving either, so really couldn't say for certain, but based on my research and conversations, I believe the answer is yes. But bear in mind: those cars also have the upgraded spring; without the upgraded spring and any assist, it's very heavy -- and too heavy IMHO (as someone who likes a heavier clutch and is in good shape).
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I test drove a GT2, and i believe clutch action was same as GT3 (RS w/ single mass fly). Much better pedal engagement and feel than turbo. GT3 RS is pretty heavy, but in a good way.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:45 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx
Part # is 997-423-081-06 for the GT3 Clutch Spring.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2016, 12:21 AM
jeremyck23
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info, the weight of the clutch pedal is particularly helpful. I have a stock clutch currently with minor fluid transmissions from steering wheel to clutch reservoir. (i have to manually transfer the fluid from the front to the back and it just seems very stupid) The stock clutch feel is really very minimal and I am leaning towards the bbi upgrade since I can always revert back to stock.

Is there any downside besides a heavier clutch? Does it affect clutch life or impose stress on other mechanical parts such as the master cylinder? I've read in other posts which suggested that some users are getting master cylinder failure after gt2 conversion, but that's just hearsay.

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I test drove a GT2, and i believe clutch action was same as GT3 (RS w/ single mass fly). Much better pedal engagement and feel than turbo. GT3 RS is pretty heavy, but in a good way.
I've driven both and I'll agree that they are similar.

Quick Reply: Slave Upgrade to Improve Clutch Feel - BBi or EVOMS?