Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PDK or Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 47 Posts

I typically prefer manual transmissions, but the 997.2 Turbos work so well with PDK since they are both so brutally quick (i.e., they compliment each other). Not to say that numbers matter in the world of enjoyment, but I feel that Turbos are slightly neutered with a 6MT that it tends to bug me - maybe that's the engineering side of me showing through. It's a much easier argument with the 997.1 and prior to run 6MT - there's no other viable option, IMO. Also, there are a few other benefits to PDK, such as not having to worry about overrevs.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
My 16 year old niece feels the same way as you. She likes automatics too. So does my Mom. She's 88.

Yeah, there's a reason those old manual, slow Mezger air-cooled cars aren't worth more than the newer ones. Wait, what?

Performance matters when you're a professional race car driver on a track vying for big cash. For the rest, your car is already more car than you are driver, PDK or not.
Some moron convinced the other morons that manual and metzger is better and all you sheep drove the prices up . That is all.
As I said, only PORSCHE nerds long for the good old days of slower and worse technology.
It's the same thing with art, someone decided splatters on canvas are worth 100 million because Jackson Pollock did it. And all the sheep agreed so they would fit in at the cars and coffee I mean the cocktail party I mean the art gallery.
I'm not against old cars and I have a 356. But to argue old is better is just plain dumb
Old 07-29-2016, 08:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
Some moron convinced the other morons that manual and metzger is better and all you sheep drove the prices up . That is all.
As I said, only PORSCHE nerds long for the good old days of slower and worse technology.
It's the same thing with art, someone decided splatters on canvas are worth 100 million because Jackson Pollock did it. And all the sheep agreed so they would fit in at the cars and coffee I mean the cocktail party I mean the art gallery.
I'm not against old cars and I have a 356. But to argue old is better is just plain dumb
It's called the market. I didn't create it, but it is what it is. Your tin bucket 356 is a great example. Slow as hell but also fun. Probably more fun than a new 911 Turbo. And also, unlike the Turbo, you'd be driving it, not software.

Older is sometimes better; I'd take Cindy Crawford over Kelly Osbourne every day of the week.

But to your misguided idea about performance when discussing PDK vs. Manual: what are we talking about here? Men who are not professional race car drivers, driving around in street cars in the city or a country or maybe even occasionally on a track? Ultimate performance means nothing in those settings. Any 997 is already more car than 99% are drivers. For a novice driver in a street car, who cares about tenths of a second that a computer gained for you? Silliness.

Now, driver involvement and the skill that comes with driving a manual is something else.

Newer technology isn't always better. Take cell phones. New tech, sure. But no one ever died while texting before they came along.

Performance? You? Me? C'mon. Leave ultimate performance and tenths of a second to the pros. You're not a pro; neither am I. For driver involvement and a bit of skill/nuance, we both know driving manual cannot be beat, and you row the gears, not Microsoft.

As for slower, hey, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. That's why mint air-cooled Porsches are worth more than most 997s. Hey, 991 Turbo is fast. But boring as hell in a congested city, performance numbers and PDK be damned.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called the market. I didn't create it, but it is what it is. Your tin bucket 356 is a great example. Slow as hell but also fun. Probably more fun than a new 911 Turbo. And also, unlike the Turbo, you'd be driving it, not software.

Older is sometimes better; I'd take Cindy Crawford over Kelly Osbourne every day of the week.

But to your misguided idea about performance when discussing PDK vs. Manual: what are we talking about here? Men who are not professional race car drivers, driving around in street cars in the city or a country or maybe even occasionally on a track? Ultimate performance means nothing in those settings. Any 997 is already more car than 99% are drivers. For a novice driver in a street car, who cares about tenths of a second that a computer gained for you? Silliness.

Now, driver involvement and the skill that comes with driving a manual is something else.

Newer technology isn't always better. Take cell phones. New tech, sure. But no one ever died while texting before they came along.

Performance? You? Me? C'mon. Leave ultimate performance and tenths of a second to the pros. You're not a pro; neither am I. For driver involvement and a bit of skill/nuance, we both know driving manual cannot be beat, and you row the gears, not Microsoft.

As for slower, hey, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. That's why mint air-cooled Porsches are worth more than most 997s. Hey, 991 Turbo is fast. But boring as hell in a congested city, performance numbers and PDK be damned.
All Wrong
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

All right.

Quick Reply: To PDK or Manual