EZ OIL DRAIN VALVE or Fumoto Valves for 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:32 AM
throwinbombs.com
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EZ OIL DRAIN VALVE or Fumoto Valves for 997TT

Hi All,

I did my first oil change this past March, 2016 and I plan to do this for a very long time.

I switched the crankcase drain plug and the tank drain plug to EZ OIL DRAIN VALVES for future ease.

I know this is not for everyone but if you are interested in doing this I have the sizes you will need.

NOBODY could give me the information I needed on the size of the plugs. People from Fumoto, EZ OIL DRAIN VALVE, Pelican Parts refused to verbally tell me the sizes, ECS Tuning would not tell me the size. They would sell me the part but would not give me the specs. I checked the official Porsche site with the PDF exploded views and NOTHING. NOTHING.

I found both drain plugs are M20, 20.0mm by 1.5mm pitch.

Please see the pictures. I Have two pictures that will not load. I have calipers to show that both plugs measure 0.781" to prove that they are M20.
20.0mm equals 0.787".

I try to add them later.

Take care,
Andy

Old 04-26-2016, 03:16 PM
shonuf
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM
cam2008
Racer

How's the oil flow through the valves? I tried one on a vette once and I did't like the flow rate.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:07 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I used on on my old F250. Love it because I could stop and start the oil flow when draining 2 gallons of oil. Never leaked either. I would be scared that it would sit to low on my 997tt. It would be nice but not worth the risk.
I guess on the crank case it would be OK. Just not the oil tank.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:12 PM
throwinbombs.com
Advanced

Hi Guys,

@shonuf Thanks.

@cam2008 I don't know the flow yet as I just put it on. I am changing my oil in about 5 months so I'll post and let you know.

@function12 The valve is surprisingly very high and it looks safe. I'll try and take a picture with a ruler to show how high it sits. There are surrounding components that sit lower. If you get this valve caught this is probably the least of your worries.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 AM
MadScience
Racer

throwinbombs.com: Thank you for sharing this. Ordering two valves for my car.

function12: The tank actually sits pretty high, If you hit a valve on it, I'd worry about all sorts of other expensive stuff getting hit as well. The actual turbos for instance.

Originally Posted by cam2008
How's the oil flow through the valves? I tried one on a vette once and I did't like the flow rate.
Can you elaborate? I've used these valves on other vehicles, mostly with hoses attached to drain directly into jugs, and have a hard time seeing this as a complaint. Did the nipple somehow end up pointing up on that car or something like that?
Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM
cam2008
Racer

Originally Posted by MadScience
throwinbombs.com: Thank you for sharing this. Ordering two valves for my car.

function12: The tank actually sits pretty high, If you hit a valve on it, I'd worry about all sorts of other expensive stuff getting hit as well. The actual turbos for instance.

Can you elaborate? I've used these valves on other vehicles, mostly with hoses attached to drain directly into jugs, and have a hard time seeing this as a complaint. Did the nipple somehow end up pointing up on that car or something like that?
Regarding oil flow, if you look at the valve itself, the port through which it flows is constricted as compared to the hole diameter of the crankcase. I guess it would just take a bit longer to empty. I bought two anyhow and will see the next time I do an oil change.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 PM
throwinbombs.com
Advanced

Hi everyone,

Well I did my second oil change in March 2017 and it worked great.
It does take longer to drain due to the diameter restriction but I let my old oil
drip for a very long time so it didn't matter to me. When the valve is fully
open the flow is still pretty nice.

I let the oil drip out for an hour or more. I change it at work so when I drain it
I can just let it sit while I do my work and just come back whenever and continue.

These are not for someone changing oil against time but if you have time to burn
it doesn't get any better than this.

I would have taken pictures but my hands were too dirty to use my phone.

Take care all,
tbombs
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Is there a picture of the new plugs w/ valves? (maybe I'm going blind, but I didn't see them above)
Old 04-25-2017, 04:51 PM
cam2008
Racer

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Is there a picture of the new plugs w/ valves? (maybe I'm going blind, but I didn't see them above)
No the valves were not posted. looks like this though. Since we need to warm up the oil for a change, this will come in handy so as not to burn our hands. And if we overfill we can drain some oil.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cam2008
No the valves were not posted. looks like this though. Since we need to warm up the oil for a change, this will come in handy so as not to burn our hands. And if we overfill we can drain some oil.
Used one YEARS ago on my Toyota pickup. Loved it, but haven't seen them for a long time. Problem free and super convenient..I'd buy one for the Porsche.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 PM
bpu699

These work great on the oil tank. On the motor case, you want a plug with a magnet...otherwise, what catches the metal sludge?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:19 PM
throwinbombs.com
Advanced

Hi all,

@bpu699 I sacrificed the magnet upgrade and went with this option. I always cut the oil filter and inspect for metal shavings with a powerful earth magnet at every oil change.

@JG 996T I attached some pictures. I hope they upload this time.

@function12 you mentioned the plugs would hang to low for you. I tried to take some pictures with a frame of reference. The plugs seems to be pretty safe. Safe enough for me I guess.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just ordered a set of these as well...Thanks for the info OP. EZ 105 was the part that appears to fit our cars (we will see). It was the 20mm and 1.5 pitch and showed 997 TT in the list...so hope they fit.

Thanks for posting...great idea...
DC
Old 04-28-2017, 03:04 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

let me know how you like them. i love the idea of it because it's difficult enough to fit an oil drain pan underneath without jacking the car up. i'd love to make the oil change a little quicker and just hook a hose in.

i wanted to convert my WRX to one but i've heard some stories about the plug preventing the oil in the very bottom of the oil pan from draining. It looks like that could be the case too for the 911 crankcase since it's mounted horizontally and the drain plug threads in. Anything below the EZ oil drain plug threads might not drain (as small as that may be).

Edit: on second thought i'm still too chicken even for the main oil reservoir even though it's horizontally mounted. If in an extreme circumstance you run up on a curb with your back right wheel i would hate to lose tons of oil if it hits the release valve.

Quick Reply: EZ OIL DRAIN VALVE or Fumoto Valves for 997TT