Modern Aircooled Porsche 997.1 Turbo Build with BBi Exhaust & Slave Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Modern Aircooled Porsche 997.1 Turbo Build with BBi Exhaust & Slave Conversion

Attachment 1344394

Modern Aircooled Porsche 997.1 Turbo Build with BBi, IPD, and Cobb Power Package

Name:  tGPWPdL.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  124.1 KB

We would like to present this Porsche 997.1 Turbo build by Modern Aircooled, one of our latest authorized dealers to represent BBi Autosport's complete line of upgrades. The project started off as a coolant line 'pinning' job but the team ended up taking the opportunity to improve power and overall performance. Along with Cobb Tuning & IPD Plenums, we provided our Barcode Porsche 997.1 Turbo Exhaust and our Slave Cylinder Conversions in addition to other components supplied by different vendors to put down the extra horses reliably on the road. Stay tunnded for updates!!!

Name:  P0Xw81t.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  94.6 KB

BBi Autosport Barcode Porsche 997.1 Turbo Exhaust

Name:  HKoyuIt.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  555aY2R.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  238.1 KB

Upgrades:
  • BBi Autosport Barcode Porsche 997.1 Turbo Exhaust
  • BBi Autosport GT2 Clutch Conversion Kit
  • IPD Y-pipe & Competition Plenum with 82mm Throttle Body
  • Cobb Accessport V3 Tuning
  • DO88 Performance Turbo Intake Hoses.
  • Uprated 2nd Gear Detent
  • Function First Transmission Mount Inserts
  • RSS Tarmac Series Motor Mounts
  • Sharkwerks GT1 Stainless Coolant Elbow Upgrade Kit
  • SACHS Clutch and Pressure Plate Combination
Modern Aircooled Shop Contact Information

Name:  Yz25QWA.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  235.9 KB

Name:  0EBkKoS.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  298.1 KB

801 Hogan street,
Houston, Texas, 77008
modernaircooled@gmail.com
(713) 412-4523

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Last edited by BBiAutosport; 04-06-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Any install pics? Would be awesome to have a DYI for the BBI slave conversion!!

Can you give me more details on the 2nd gear detent upgrade?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Modern Aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnny

We Installed the BBi Slave cylinder with the motor out of the car for coolant line work. This made our job this time very easy, unlike some of the other 'gt2' conversion kits, the BBi conversion simply bolts right up in place where the existing slave unit was. No machining/ drilling/ or adjustments needed. As such a DIY for a motor that's already out of the car wouldnt serve much purpose. We will definitely make sure to take a lot of photos and write up some detailed instructions next time we install a slave with the motor in the car.

As for the 2nd gear upgrade. What we installed was a small ball bearing, pictured below the BBi Slave on the parts photo, between the spring, and the 2nd gear detent roller. What this ball does is increase the pre-load on the detent, often increasing the force it takes to 'pop' out of 2nd. While not always 100% in eliminating the issue, it is a quick and easy way to reduce the chances of it happening. There are a couple of detent improvements on the market, and they can usually be installed in car as well.

Here are some pictures of the engine as we were installing the upgrades post coolant fix, and a bonus pic of our shop mascot 993 with truly wild 800hp 930 a client has.

Again, Thank you so much BBi for the support and the quality products, it means a lot to us to be able to improve these cars for our clients, and more often than not you guys have the parts we need to use for that.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was going to be a post about building an air-cooled 997 turbo
Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Me too!
I'd like to see how you got 800hp out of that 930, pretty cool!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Me too! I'd like to see how you got 800hp out of that 930, pretty cool!
Wow. I would be curious as well. I had my old 930 ported to 3.5 with Carrillo rods, dual plugged , K27 turbo, Kokeln, 1 bar spring and barely broke 500. :-/. What did I do wrong!? That was 10 years ago
Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Modern Aircooled
Again, Thank you so much BBi for the support and the quality products, it means a lot to us to be able to improve these cars for our clients, and more often than not you guys have the parts we need to use for that.
You are very welcome. We are very glad to have you as one of our latest dealers to represent us!!! Here are some more pictures we would like to share:

Power Package Installation

Name:  cSN6k2B.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  552.8 KB

BBi 997.1 Turbo Exhaust Installed with Optional Polished Tips

Name:  LYVZJXt.jpg
Size:  232.1 KB

Name:  YcdrwpQ.jpg
Size:  224.0 KB

BBi Autosport Porsche 997.1 Turbo & Turbo S Barcode Exhaust System

Features:
  • Produces more aggressive exhaust sound
  • Reduces restriction to increase horsepower, torque, and improve throttle response
  • Crossover X-Pipe
  • 304 stainless steel aerospace tubing
  • 3" diameter piping throughout system
  • Meticulously TIG welded
  • Brushed stainless finish
  • Significant weight savings
  • HJS OBD2 compliant 200 cell catalytic converters
  • No CEL (Check Engine Light)
  • Direct bolt on replacement
  • Stylish design with laser etched BBi logo
  • Optional high temperature black ceramic coatings available
  • Handcrafted in the USA

IPD Plenums

997.1 IPD Plenum & Y Pipe

As part of our Porsche 997 Turbo BBi Power Package, the highly acclaimed IPD Intake Plenum & High Flow Y Pipes were designed, developed and tested at our facility to work in perfect harmony with our highly acclaimed Barcode exhaust system and the Cobb Access Port ECU Tune. Being our dedicated technical partner, IPD has been developing patented intake plenum upgrades for Porsche vehicles since 2004 - now covering more than 30 applications distributed worldwide - and continues to share the same facility and technical resources

IPD 997.1 Turbo Plenum & Y-Pipe Features:
  • Increases horsepower, torque, and boost responsibly optimizing air flow efficiency
  • Designed with 3D Modeling & Computational Fluid Dynamics software
  • Utilizes diversion splitter and dimpled interior surface eliminate turbulence and increase air flow
  • High quality cast aluminum construction
  • Direct fit OEM replacement
  • Made in USA

Cobb Tuning Porsche 997 Turbo Accessport V3

No performance upgrade is complete without a tune to reliably extract as much power as possible while maintaining excellent drivability and consistent results. The Accessport for the Porsche 997 Turbo and Turbo S is the ONLY handheld flash option. Being the world's best-selling and most flexible ECU upgrade solution, the Accessport V3 comes with Stage 1 and Stage 2 Off The Shelf maps as well as complete custom tuning capabilities for any modification level.

Features
  • Simple Installation: Everything is included for the simple installation you can do in your driveway! Intuitive on-screen instructions identify your exact vehicle, saves stock vehicle data, and displays available OTS maps.
  • Change Maps: Store up to 100 maps from our OTS map database or from your favorite COBB tuner and quickly switch between them for any need.
  • Vehicle Upgrade Support: As you continue to modify your car, Accessport maps can be used to optimize performance upgrades. Changing the map can be done in less than 1 minute in your driveway.
  • In Car Mount: The Accessport can be mounted in vehicle to allow you to monitor the performance data.
  • Data Logging: Record multiple data channels simultaneously for in-depth evaluation of engine performance. Stores up to 1 hour of continuous data.
  • Gauges: Use your Accessport as a gauge to monitor boost or any other live information, directly from the ECU.
  • Trouble Codes: Read engine trouble codes to diagnose issues. Clear them when resolved. Prevent expensive trips to the dealership.
  • Full Uninstall: Using the Uninstall option will completely remove our programming from the car’s ECU. It is then able to be re-installed after a dealer visit or on another vehicle.

Completed Project

Name:  IYkoPiQ.jpg
Size:  292.7 KB

Name:  ak6uNqU.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  237.7 KB

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Do you have a vid of that exhaust?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Modern Aircooled
Rennlist Member

TT Surgeon, The car should be heading to cobb for a dyno tune late next week, I'll ask my client if he can take a video of it then

Estrella Jon,

I cant take credit for building the 930, that was brought over already modified from Japan, but its got all the good stuff you would want. Twin plug heads, port fuel injections, g50 box with long ratios etc. more about the car here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/07/...che-930-turbo/

The shop that built and tuned the car said that the wheel horsepower was closer to 700 than 650, meaning something really high up there at the crank.

plus another bonus pic I took of the engine last time it was on the lift.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I remember a few yes ago, a guy with a 996c4s swapped in an air cooled 993tt engine, cool car.
Re the 930, interesting small tube long headers, aka 935s. A lot of the modern hi hp builds used shorter, larger dia versions.
Cool car!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:35 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great stuff Modern Aircooled. Can't wait to see progression and finished product
Old 04-11-2016, 10:16 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

What is the clutch pedal feel like with the BBI slave cylinder conversion vs the hydrolically assisted stock? How about vs a GT2 conversion? Really hard to push the clutch down?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Modern Aircooled
Rennlist Member

Eviligloo,

to me the BBi solution has a slightly lighter pedal effort than the full on gt2 conversion, not enough to really choose one over the other in effort alone.

The BBi solution is just far neater than any other offerings, it is properly bolt on, doesnt involve capping or pulling lines from everywhere, and it gives the driver so much more feedback about what the driveline is doing. The stock setup is awful, I'm happy when im just cruising between the shop and home, but for any spirited driving I really need to order myself the BBi slave for my 996 Turbo S.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:14 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the images out showing the turbo inlet pipes helped me understand how they go in .. thanks

intending to upgrade mine eventually.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did something similar.

Cobb AP
Sachs 2.5 clutch
BBI slave cyl and GT3 pedal spring
Do88 turbo inlet hoses
IPD 74mm plenum
GT3RS inter-coolers
1-step cooler plugs with new coils
Sharkwerks coolant elbows
Pinned coolant pipes

Quick Reply: Modern Aircooled Porsche 997.1 Turbo Build with BBi Exhaust & Slave Conversion