Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check / 2009 997tt opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016 | 10:07 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by johnbelk
OMG!!! Based on what you have provided I would say that $80K is a very good price. Dude!!! Put a deposit on this car get the PPI for sure and buy with confidence
I agree. I have been monitoring the market for 2-3 years and this is probably THE best deal i have ever heard of on an 09 considering its options and history.

Last thing i would make sure the PCCB rotors are in good shape since they are crazy expensive but other than that this is a no brainier buy.
Old 03-12-2016 | 11:09 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. One last note. Here's what they're telling me regarding upgrades:

"I have been speaking with our senior Technician who has done all of the service on this car.
We have replaced the brake pads and tires since it was traded in.
He says the car is in excellent condition mechanically. He also says that the upgrades on the car are high end components.
It has an IPD Intake Plenum.
Catronics Exhaust, headers and Sport Cats (catalytic converters).
Upgraded bypass valves to handle the increased boost.
Also chipped, but he can’t tell who it is by but is very confident that it is done very well as the rest of the upgrades were done properly."

These upgrades tell me the car may have been tracked and it wasn't disclosed. Not sure this matters, but wanted to check with you turbo guys. I'm unfamiliar with Catronics, but assume it's reasonable for a replacement. Would any of these 'upgrades' give you guys concern? I've never liked the idea of aftermarket chips.

I appreciate the help guys. If I don't go ahead on this one, anyone here is welcome to the info.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-12-2016 | 12:19 PM
bondjockey
Racer

You need to find how which tune it is. It means little for a salesman to say that "it was done well" based upon the other components. There are good tunes and bad tunes and you need to find out which one to ensure that the tune was not so aggressive that it potentially compromised the engine internals (eg connecting rods).
Old 03-12-2016 | 01:08 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

The DME scan will tell you a lot. If it's been driven hard, that will show up there.
Old 03-12-2016 | 01:19 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Tim, I take back my endorsement... There's no way to determine with any level of accuracy what levels of boost and how lean a fuel mixture this engine was exposed to. Not to mention wear and tear to the other driveline components. You're rolling the dice that "things" will be ok... Purchasing a warranty is out of the question...yep, these companies watch these blogs (my assumption is, even if you did get a warranty, they would fight you tooth and nail not to pay out).
The "only" way I'd purchase this car, is if I had very deep pockets and a "major" repair (in access of $20k or more) was not a factor.
As they say, there's no deal to good to walk away from...unless you're a gambler, but even a smart gambler knows when to fold.. Sorry Tim...that's my two cents. JB
Old 03-12-2016 | 01:30 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Going to look at the car this afternoon and make a final decision. Will have a DME report run for sure. If you guys are able to assist with the DME, that would be great, as I'm not clear on how to decipher the report.
Old 03-12-2016 | 01:48 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

09's are in a weird and favorable place with values. They "should" be worth about 80 but they are trading higher for the most part it seems. Last of the 6-speed mezger holds some value apparently.

'11 turbo S cars are almost the same money as 09's at this point which is pretty insane.
Old 03-12-2016 | 03:07 PM
acf
Racer

The DME scan will tell us a lot. Please post the results!
Old 03-12-2016 | 03:59 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Pls remember that while a DME report may be a good indicator of potential abuse, it will not provide data on past excessive boost levels or lean fuel mixtures to squeeze the last ounce of horsepower out of an engine. Excessive boost can lead to stretched connecting rods and damage to piston rings and head gasgets that will eventually fail. Lean fuel mixtures can damage pistons and valves... Modifications to increase boost levels can compromise an engine's stock internals and not knowing the extent of the increased boost is a risky move when buying an $80K vehicle that's very expensive to repair.
Tim, at least you know upfront there have been mods, versus a car that has been returned to OEM status and sold as such (and misrepresented).
Buying with data and knowledge and not with your heart is dang hard to do with a beautiful car lIke this, good luck and I hope it all works out.....JB

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Thanks guys. Going to look at the car this afternoon and make a final decision. Will have a DME report run for sure. If you guys are able to assist with the DME, that would be great, as I'm not clear on how to decipher the report.

Last edited by johnbelk; 03-12-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2016 | 04:32 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Some pics. Will have the DME soon.
Attached Images         
Old 03-12-2016 | 06:53 PM
PABers
Advanced

Is that a sold sign? Barring any abuse that it a great price; would buy.
Old 03-12-2016 | 11:21 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Hi all,

Well, I viewed the car and was very pleased at the appearance. The pics I posted did show a 'sold' sign, which was put on the car after my deposit. Was 99% on the car, but this DME report stopped me cold. I'm not an expert, but I believe this report may, at best, indicate the car was driven in a very spirited way at the track. At worst, it looks like someone literally beat the living s%|^ out if this car.

I will say the dealer is very professional and seem to be quality people. They did offer the DME after I requested it.

Can you guys help me decipher this?

Looks like:

39 instances in range 4
14 instances in range 5
7 instances in range 6

Should I be concerned?

Here's the full report:
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2016 | 12:02 AM
Zero Cool
Instructor

Would have to agree with you. Appears to have been drive hard at times given the Range 6 ignitions and brake pads needing changing. My car has almost 29,000 miles and I am not even close to needing to change my pads. Would probably keep looking......good luck with the search
Old 03-13-2016 | 03:16 AM
acf
Racer

That's too bad, bc (if you like black), that's about as good a spec as you're ever going to see. The interior is gorgeous. Ultimately the mods and DME would scare me away as well.
Old 03-13-2016 | 07:42 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

At least now we know the reason why it's cheap.
A perfect '09 with that mileage is worth considerably more.

I would not want that car.

Quick Reply: Price check / 2009 997tt opinion