Sponsored by:

BBI slave reviews???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM
The Defector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BBI slave reviews???

The BBI slave seems too easy. The way I understand it "recirculates" the power steering fluid and uses the existing clutch master cylinder lines etc. But at just short of $1200 it's a VERY pricey "plug n play" as they claim. So before I improve the feel of my clutch I need some guidance. Any reviews of the BBI? Should I just do the GT2 conversion, (the one without drilling).

All I want is a better clutch feel.

BTW how do you get the slip in low pressure return line outta the red ring connector on the slave???

Also why not just connect the high and low pressure lines together in essence a closed loop. Then remove accumulater plug all the openings in the slave, it's all low pressure now. Then you'd basically have the BBI

Thanks!
JC

Last edited by The Defector; 06-17-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Error
Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I have one. It feels pretty much just like the GT2 setup. The pedal feel is much, much stiffer than the stock-like pedal with the sachs 2.5 that I have on my car. I got used to it pretty quickly, and it's nice to have the clutch engagement able to be felt now, as well as consistent. A worth-while upgrade if looking to do a conversion.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81
I have one. It feels pretty much just like the GT2 setup. The pedal feel is much, much stiffer than the stock-like pedal with the sachs 2.5 that I have on my car. I got used to it pretty quickly, and it's nice to have the clutch engagement able to be felt now, as well as consistent. A worth-while upgrade if looking to do a conversion.
As a self-proclaimed wuss, I'm glad I read this. I always thought I wouldn't like the GT2 slave mod because of clutch pedal stiffness, but wasn't sure about this one. I wish the existing slave wasn't SO boosted, but I'm not interested in doing leg presses in traffic either.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM
The Defector
Instructor

Originally Posted by CincyScott
As a self-proclaimed wuss, I'm glad I read this. I always thought I wouldn't like the GT2 slave mod because of clutch pedal stiffness, but wasn't sure about this one. I wish the existing slave wasn't SO boosted, but I'm not interested in doing leg presses in traffic either.
I was very worried too Scott. But at the dealer the other day was a used GT3, the clutch was no stiffer than any Vette, Firebird or any other car I've ever owned (I assume GT3 clutch feel is the same as a GT2). I personally feel the stiffnes trade off is well worth the predictability of clutch engagement and therefore the greater pleasure in driving.

If the BBI will give me that predictability then all the better and easier install. I just don't want to spend $1200 on a new method only to find out that I should've done the GT2 mod. That's why I started the post. I wanted reviews of the BBI before committing.
JC
Old 03-11-2016, 11:36 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that I have the Sachs 2.5 clutch with the much stronger 764 pressure plate rather than stock, but this clutch pedal is now the stiffest I've ever experienced and I've had lots of high performance manual cars. It doesn't feel like a stock anything. It'll scoot your butt to the back of the seat when you press it down It's the same feel as the GT2 conversion in a more plug and play package.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:50 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Keep in mind that I have the Sachs 2.5 clutch with the much stronger 764 pressure plate rather than stock, but this clutch pedal is now the stiffest I've ever experienced and I've had lots of high performance manual cars. It doesn't feel like a stock anything. It'll scoot your butt to the back of the seat when you press it down It's the same feel as the GT2 conversion in a more plug and play package.
Nope, I'm out! That's the clutch/pp in my 997tt and it's what I'll put in the 996tt when she's ready for one too.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

clutch pedal is now the stiffest I've ever experienced and I've had lots of high performance manual cars. It doesn't feel like a stock anything. It'll scoot your butt to the back of the seat when you press it down

You can fix that for $80.

The most common fix for this is to order the GT3 clutch pedal spring and drop it in there.

Do any of the GT2, GT3 etc or whatever conversion without this piece and you also have a similarly heavy clutch pedal.

Your tech should have asked you if you want an almost stock pedal or a heavy pedal before starting the work.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the stiffer pedal feel after the gt2 slave conversion. The consistency is obviously nice but i dont like loose pedals. Im not a fan of the 2-3 BMW clutches ive driven. Always thought the pedal was too springy and light (none were Ms).

With Sachs 2.5 and gt2 slave it will get stiffer (in a good way to me). Cant comment on the BBI unit but imagine it feels similar (if you put in the stronger pressure plate.

Last edited by Yogi911; 04-12-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duckstu

The most common fix for this is to order the GT3 clutch pedal spring and drop it in there.

Do any of the GT2, GT3 etc or whatever conversion without this piece and you also have a similarly heavy clutch pedal.

Your tech should have asked you if you want an almost stock pedal or a heavy pedal before starting the work.
I didn't need a tech to tell me anything, I was well aware of what I was doing and the benefits for me outweighed the negatives. I feel like this is a topic that is always glossed over, so I'm making sure that others know exactly what they are getting into. Notice I said it feels like the GT2 conversion two other times in this thread...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

I didn't need a tech to tell me anything, I was well aware of what I was doing and the benefits for me outweighed the negatives. I feel like this is a topic that is always glossed over, so I'm making sure that others know exactly what they are getting into. Notice I said it feels like the GT2 conversion two other times in this thread...
Whoops,.. sorry.

I had read the earlier posts long ago,.. and recently just the last few.

Obviously putting in a stiffer pressure plate AND getting rid of the hydraulic assist will result in a much heavier pedal. The BBI is "supposedly" a teeny-tiny bit lighter than the GT2 because of it's piston size,.. but you'd probably have a hard time noticing.

Those that don;t like a heavy pedal will need to do the GT3 spring.

Any thoughts on whether the GT3 spring will affect the "feel" ?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 AM
The Defector
Instructor

Thanks your info and input, I want an answer from people like you and all the others. Maybe I should re-state/re-phrase my question. What is the best way to have a consistent better clutch engagement. It's not about how stiff or difficult it is to depress the pedal. I've determined that I can deal with the "stiffness". I now know I can potentially modify that stiffness.

My question is......
Will I get better consistent engagement with the simple BBI or do I have to do the full GT2 Conversion to get what I want?

It also makes me wonder, why not simply connect the pressure and return power steering lines together at the slave, remove the accumulator, plug all the holes, and you have the BBI.

THANKS everyone,
JC
Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Do you have a part number? I assume the GT3 clutch spring is lighter than the GT3RS spring? I tried a GT3RS and wouldn't say the pedal was even close to light.

Originally Posted by Duckstu

Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 PM
TypeRx
Racer

I'm a little confused by all the above, so TIA for bearing with my question.

I purchased a 997.1TT last fall and it already had a GT2 slave (EVOMS kit) and 2.5 clutch installed. I assume this involved no change of the clutch pedal spring. Is what you are saying is that swapping in a GT3 clutch pedal spring will lessen the pedal effort? I'd be surprised if the GT3 pedal spring is much softer than the stock turbo one. Or am I completely misreading?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRx

I purchased a 997.1TT last fall and it already had a GT2 slave (EVOMS kit) and 2.5 clutch installed. I assume this involved no change of the clutch pedal spring. Is what you are saying is that swapping in a GT3 clutch pedal spring will lessen the pedal effort? I'd be surprised if the GT3 pedal spring is much softer than the stock turbo one. Or am I completely misreading?
+1
Old 03-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TypeRx

I believe the GT3 does not have the hydraulic assist in the slave cylinder like the Turbo does,... so it has a much stronger clutch pedal spring.

From my understanding,.. installing the GT3 spring will leave you with a clutch pedal that is only a bit firmer than stock,.. even though you have removed the hyd assist, AND installed a 2.5 clutch.

The part number for the Turbo clutch pedal spring is 997-423-081-52

And for the '05-'08 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera 4, '06' -'08 GT2, and '08-'09 GT3 and GT3RS, GT3RS 4.0 it is 997-423-081-06

For '05 - '08 Boxster and Boxster S,... '09 -'12 Carrera and Carrera S, Carrera GTS, Targa 4S,.. it is 997-423-081-05

So you'd be switching from a -52 to a -06 I think.

$85 and free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...-/170798387947

Last edited by Duckstu; 03-14-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: BBI slave reviews???