Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016 | 10:09 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
are these appropriate for street use with stock rotors?
They wouldn't be the pad of choice for street use but that's generally the case with most race pads. We have quite a few folks that leave RS14 or RS29 on the car all the time but RSL1 may give you premature ABS kick in when used with street tires.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 01-12-2016 | 11:02 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
They wouldn't be the pad of choice for street use but that's generally the case with most race pads. We have quite a few folks that leave RS14 or RS29 on the car all the time but RSL1 may give you premature ABS kick in when used with street tires.
Will make sure to post feedback regarding the RSL1 on the street. Car isn't daily driven, and is running MPSC2 currently.

Hoping they're suitable for spirited weekend runs and the 6-7 times I get to the track during the year, and the few "normal" days it gets taken out each month.
Old 03-23-2016 | 11:04 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

I'm now about 8k km in to using RSL1's front and rear on my 997.1 TT, and am generally happy with the upgrade.

TLDR; they're a bit dusty, noisy, and get hot, but I'd buy them again.

Early on:
The bedding process is a chore, in that you really need to be on the track to get them hot enough to transfer. I'd recommend adding 1-2 stops to the official process.

Initial bite seemed less progressive than OEM, but after a few 100km they lost a little initial bite and became easier to modulate. I'm used to the feel now and really like it.

Track work:
They bite when you want to. Hard. I upgraded to MPSC2 tyres and even then ABS will kick in if I stomp on the pedal. I see this as a positive, as the OEM pads seemed over powered by the grip of the tyre.

They wear very slowly, and are kind to the rotors (as far as wear is concerned). I've driven 4 track days and they've probably worn 10% at most.

They get hot. Really hot. I wouldn't want to run these without upgrading to decent brake fluid. This also has an impact on rotor life - while mine won't wear out quickly, they're cracking around the drilled holes (in the front rotors) much faster than with OEM pads. I'll be upgrading to slotted next round.

General:
They're dustier than a Chilean coal miner. I'd expected this, but not quite to the degree in which they're turning my wheels black. The performance is good enough that I can live with it. I suspect dust clogging the holes in the rotor contributed to them cracking.

They do make a bit of noise. Not so much that it's off putting, but enough to make someone turn and look at an intersection. It gets worse as the dust build up increases, and quietens down when they're clean.
Old 03-25-2016 | 07:11 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Anyone have experience with the Ferodo DS1.11 pads for street and occasional track?

Quick Reply: Brakes - where to start?