Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC DSC question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015 | 06:25 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Default TPC DSC question

I just got my new TPC DSC module and when I opened it I noticed that it read 997.2 written on the side yet I have a 997.1. I tried to call TPC but they are closed. It snapped in and is the same size as my old one. Is there a difference? I am a bit hesitant to take it on a drive if it's the wrong one...
Old 11-13-2015 | 06:49 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Ok I think I answered my question -- I found out via the search function that 997.1 cars need a 3 axis accelerometer wired in since they only came with a 2 axis accelerometer.....except for 997.1 turbos which came standard with the 3 axis accelerometer hence the 997.2 designation on my box

So I think I'm good.....
Old 11-13-2015 | 08:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes you're good. Same DSC for .1 and .2 Turbo.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 11-13-2015 | 09:39 PM
bondjockey
Racer

ok Tom, another problem. I installed it properly but when I drove it and pressed the PASM button the light came on, pressed it again and it went off. No modes, no flashing lights. Also no error codes of any kind. It was like the oem unit was still installed. Weird. There was too much traffic to really push the car and I couldn't tell much difference from stock. Is there something I missed? Faulty unit perhaps?
Old 11-13-2015 | 10:05 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

did you hold the button down? Have to hold it for a couple seconds.

Btw I love the unit. Car drives much better now.
Old 11-13-2015 | 10:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bondjockey
ok Tom, another problem. I installed it properly but when I drove it and pressed the PASM button the light came on, pressed it again and it went off. No modes, no flashing lights. Also no error codes of any kind. It was like the oem unit was still installed. Weird. There was too much traffic to really push the car and I couldn't tell much difference from stock. Is there something I missed? Faulty unit perhaps?
Your DSC module has the latest firmware and software. I am sorry that the person/dealer who you bought from didn't inform you of the latest version. We have been transitioning to the latest version over the past week and we planned on making a public announcement on the new features but we fell behind schedule on the posting. Anyway, we have been working very hard to crack the coding on the instrument cluster so that DSC will communicate the mode switching via the Normal and Sport PASM messages on the display. We have gotten complaints from user on the flashing LED being distracting and they have to look down to switch modes. With the latest firmware the DSC mode switching becomes factory like; no more blinking LED. The two DSC modes are upgraded as part of the software package- The new DSC Normal mode has the damping range to over the old DSC mode 1 to 1.5. The new DSC Sport mode(we call it Race mode) covers up to the old mode 3 at higher input loads. Race mode also has the latest g-force table from our GT3 Cup program. We have been selling DSC modules with the latest firmware and software for a weeks. I have been informing each customer/dealer during the ordering in this transitional period. I am sorry again that someone slipped on informing you.

I have been using the new firmware/software on my car since October. I love it. Myself and local customers improved lap times by ~0.7 second.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 11-13-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
Old 11-13-2015 | 10:22 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Ok that is good to hear. So I'm still a bit confused by your description of the different modes with the new firmware (granted I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed). I need a YouTube tutorial!
Old 11-13-2015 | 10:28 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bondjockey
Ok that is good to hear. So I'm still a bit confused by your description of the different modes with the new firmware (granted I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed). I need a YouTube tutorial!
Basically we expanded the ranges of the two DSC modes since the instrument cluster display doesn't support three modes. Drive like you stole it in DSC Sport(Race) mode and you'll get it. ;-)
Old 11-13-2015 | 10:37 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Got it!
Old 11-14-2015 | 12:04 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Basically we expanded the ranges of the two DSC modes since the instrument cluster display doesn't support three modes. Drive like you stole it in DSC Sport(Race) mode and you'll get it. ;-)
Tom, How do I update the software. Mine does the blinking. So I assume it's the old software, I bought it from TT surgeon
Old 11-14-2015 | 11:14 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Tom, How do I update the software. Mine does the blinking. So I assume it's the old software, I bought it from TT surgeon
We are working on a user downloadable firmware & software update package. It should roll out shortly after the new year. Your DSC is only two months old, it has the latest software(mapping) just before we transitioned from three modes to two modes.
Old 11-14-2015 | 12:52 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
We are working on a user downloadable firmware & software update package. It should roll out shortly after the new year. Your DSC is only two months old, it has the latest software(mapping) just before we transitioned from three modes to two modes.
Tom, will you be announcing that availability here? I have one of the first run boxes from you, and am ready to tune it up a little. Although I must admit that setting 2 is my favorite...and not sure what I could do to improve on it.
Old 11-14-2015 | 02:09 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Tom, will you be announcing that availability here? I have one of the first run boxes from you, and am ready to tune it up a little. Although I must admit that setting 2 is my favorite...and not sure what I could do to improve on it.
+1. Waiting for announcement regarding update/upgrade. I too believe I have one of the first runs as well.
Old 11-14-2015 | 06:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Yes, you have a good box, don't worry. I was all set to put my car back to stock, but after three weeks without that box the difference is noticeable over rough surfaces. The dsc box makes the stock mode so much more compliant...it's really a must have.
Old 11-16-2015 | 06:12 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Like you I also really love setting #2. I've found that i've been able to get better autocross times on setting 2 than setting 3 so I normally just leave it in that all the time.

So Tom what does the new mapping closely resemble? Is it closer to the 2 setting or the 3 in terms of firmness? or completely different? I never use setting 1 because it doesn't feel that cushy on my car.

Quick Reply: TPC DSC question