Sponsored by:

CD Changer removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CD Changer removal?

Since I have an aftermarket head unit in the car I don't need the changer and would love the extra room. However i've been doing research and it looks like it's near impossible to remove and that the bracket holding it in place would require messing with the amp and possibly exposing it. Wondering if anyone here has done this.

Only info I found was here which wasn't encouraging.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...r-removal.html
Old 10-13-2015, 03:41 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd be keen to know as well. No need for CDC or Nav, would like to remove.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here. I need to lose some weight.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If I get more time I will try to provide more....But basically you pull straight up with a trim tool hook on the outer case on the nav and/or cd changer....it is hard, but will snap off with enough pull. There are two nuts holding the changer in place. One more difficult to get to. Nav cover needs to come off first....and will need a MOST loop after removing. Connectors are on the bottom...2 plugs.

Hope that helps...

DC
Old 10-14-2015, 12:32 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Easy job - took me about 20 minutes.
Just remove all of the trim in the frunk. Bracket is easy to remove once you have done that. Make sure you have a MOST loop cable to add on to the most line when you disconnect it from the CD player.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by heliflyer
Easy job - took me about 20 minutes.
Just remove all of the trim in the frunk. Bracket is easy to remove once you have done that. Make sure you have a MOST loop cable to add on to the most line when you disconnect it from the CD player.
can you advise on this most loop thing? i don't have navigation anymore because I have a pioneer NEX unit. Not sure what you mean by needing this loop and what to do with it. thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
can you advise on this most loop thing? i don't have navigation anymore because I have a pioneer NEX unit. Not sure what you mean by needing this loop and what to do with it. thanks
If you have changed out your system, and are not using the NAV or CD changer any longer, no need for the MOST loop. it is only needed so you co not break the Loop topography of the MOST fiber optic network in the PCM system that is stock.

So if you had/have OEM PCM unit, the fiber optic/MOST plumbing passes light in to one side of each device in the loop, then out of the other side to the next device. If you just unplug a device, you break the loop.

Example...Orange fiber optic cable sends light flashes/signals out one side of the head/stereo unit....it may next pass to the IN side of the AMP...then out of the OUT side of the amp, then on the IN side of the NAV system, then out of the OUT side of the NAV, then on to the IN side of CD Changer....etc....Back to the IN side of the head/stereo unit.....If you break the loop anywhere, the signal never comes back and you will get errors as it cannot complete the loop.

Now after all that...If you switched out your system and are not using the CD Changer...not an issue.

Here is an example of the loop, and the CD changer and how to pop the cover with what...

Hope that helps some.

DC

MOST Topography:

CD Changer, Loop and tool to pop off:

Loop:

Last edited by therock88; 10-14-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

If the NEX unit is hooked up via a NAVTV gateway you'll still need the optical loop.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

thanks for the info. No clue how the NEX is hooked up. I did previously have NAV TV, but not anymore. Seems like this could be a pain. Also have to double check but thought my changer was hooked up to the front of where the amp is, not on the side.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:30 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Do you know if you're still using the OEM amp? If so then you will be using the fibre optic ring.

Isn't too much hassle. Just a case of ordering a fibre loop cable or two and if the stereo stops working after you've disconnected you can install the cable. You could try it now relatively easily - take of the cd changer cover and disconnect the fibre optic cable. Is a black connecter with orange cables. See if it stops working.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
Do you know if you're still using the OEM amp? If so then you will be using the fibre optic ring.

Isn't too much hassle. Just a case of ordering a fibre loop cable or two and if the stereo stops working after you've disconnected you can install the cable. You could try it now relatively easily - take of the cd changer cover and disconnect the fibre optic cable. Is a black connecter with orange cables. See if it stops working.
i'll take a look this weekend. But yes i'm using the stock amp.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:32 PM
muvment
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

How much does the CD player and Nav weight?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

No idea. Space is more valuable than weight though - can fit more luggage in without them in place.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:14 PM
muvment
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
No idea. Space is more valuable than weight though - can fit more luggage in without them in place.
Ok, you sold me.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:30 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Took all the useless crap out just bypass the fiber

Quick Reply: CD Changer removal?