Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 551 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Porsche 997.1 IPD Competition Plenum & Y-Pipe Installation

Attachment 1344394

BBi Autosport Porsche 997.1 Turbo
IPD Competition Intake Plenum & Y-Pipe Installation

Representing the "Q8YRUN" car club from Kuwait, this Porsche 997.1 Turbo arrived at BBi Autosport for additional bolt-on upgrades to increase performance. Already outfitted with an exhaust system and a software tune, we installed the IPD Plenum, Y-pipe, and larger throttle body to extract a little bit more power before moving on to the next stage of upgrades. With countless units sold over the years with great success and rave reviews, the IPD Plenums continue to deliver the best bang for the buck in the Porsche performance market.

Upgrades
  • IPD 997.1 Turbo Competition Intake Plenum 82mm Part #97282
  • IPD 997.1 Turbo High Flow Y Pipe Part #97500
  • Genuine 997 GT3 82mm Porsche Throttle Body.
Airbox and Factory Y-pipes Removed

For all questions and inquiries, please email Jerry@BBiAutosport.com or Sales@BBiAutosport.com International shipping is available and wholesale inquiries are welcomed. BBi Autosport products are also available worldwide through our growing dealer network in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and Pacific. BBi Autosport is always actively working to expand our dealer network worldwide to grow the distribution of our products and better serve our growing client base.

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com

About BBi Autosport

Based in Southern California, we are a Porsche tuner and parts manufacturer. BBi Autosport was founded in the summer of 2005 with the mission of bringing artistry and craft to the Porsche tuning industry. We are committed to producing proven performance upgrades that are manufactured to the highest quality standards. With our new bigger facility, new staff and new product catalog this year, we are a one-stop shop and excited to offer everything from race car builds to scheduled factory maintenance.

With over 30 years of combined motorsport history, BBi’s operation is truly unique. Racing traditions run deep here at BBi Autosport. As the company's founder and technical director, Betim Berisha has worked in Racing for many years at prestigious events like the 24 Hours of Lemans and 24 Hours of Daytona. First for Fordhal Motorsport working on their GT3RS and Saleen S7 in ALMS and Grand Am series, Alex Job Racing on their ALMS GT3RSR, J3 Racing working on their GT3RSR and then Porsche Motorsports North America as their dyno tech an supporting Porsche teams at ALMS, Grand Am, Speed World Challenge events. Sharing the same passions, most of BBi's support and shop staff have also previously worked for other motorsport programs. Being a one-stop shop, BBi Autosport is equipped to offer everything from hand-built hard goods to championship-winning GT3 Cup Cars.

For up to date information of current shop activities, projects, and product releases, please follow us on our Facebook and Instagram accounts:

https://www.instagram.com/bbiautosport
https://www.facebook.com/BBiAutosport

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 551 Likes on 317 Posts

IPD Porsche 997.1 Turbo IPD Intake Plenum & High Flow Y Pipe

As part of our Porsche 997.1 Turbo BBi Power Package, the highly acclaimed IPD Porsche 997.1 Turbo IPD Intake Plenum & High Flow Y Pipes were designed, developed and tested at our facility to work in perfect harmony with our highly acclaimed Barcode exhaust system and the newly released Cobb Access Port ECU Tune.

Being our dedicated technical partner, IPD has been developing patented intake plenum upgrades for Porsche vehicles since 2004 - now covering more than 30 applications distributed worldwide - and continues to share the same facility and technical resources with BBi Autosport to deliver the most innovative Porsche engine upgrades. Our mutual philosophies and passions have developed a long standing relationship that has only grown stronger over the years.

IPD Porsche 997.1 Turbo Plenum

(Click on images for higher resolution images)

IPD invested countless hours of R & D to produce a variety of unique design features and multiple prototype tests before settling on an optimum design that significantly improves engine performance for both stock and highly modified 997.1 Turbos. The revolutionary and patented design of the IPD Porsche Plenum improves intake air flow by replacing the factory plastic "T" style design with a more efficient, precision casted aluminum "Y" design. The fundamental purpose of a plenum is to deliver smoother air at a higher velocity with greater efficiency. The IPD Plenums distribute the air flow more effectively while reducing pressure drop at the throttle body inlet by utilizing a true merge collector and dimpled interior surfacing. This innovative “Y” diversion area of the IPD Plenum splits and channels the intake air flow to reduce turbulence and increasing velocity.

Plastic factory Porsche & IPD Plenum cut apart to show internal differences

The dimpled surface (akin to a golf ball) creates a thin turbulent boundary layer on the flow surface. The theory behind a golf ball is to keep the air stuck to the back of the ball as long as possible to reduce the wake - and increase pressure behind the ball - while traveling through the air to maximize distance. A similar principal applies in a Porsche plenum, where air travels through a tightly constructed intake to meet the extreme packaging constraints of the rear engine configuration. By dimpling the interior surface, there are fewer localized pressure drops around compound curves, thereby increasing the flow. This superior and proven design ultimately results in considerably power gains throughout the horsepower and torque curves. IPD has tested numerous internal surfaces inside the Plenum, including polishing, extrude honing, epoxy coating, and shot peening just to name a few. IPD has invested countless hours developing interior surfacing and have finally been able to perfect a dimpling effect that shows gains over multiple previous attempts.

As a result, maximum horsepower gains range from 30 to 35 depending on vehicle condition and pre-existing mods. The 997 Turbo plenums deliver smooth and linear power with considerably quicker boost response creating a longer and more desirable power band. The Turbo plenums deliver reliable performance for both street and motorsport applications enhancing the already visceral Porsche Turbo driving experience. Unlike the 996 Turbo the 997 Turbo requires an “adaptation” period that can be fully realized with either a series of hard pulls on the dyno or 10 to 50 miles of hard driving which of course IPD recommends only be performed on a closed circuit race track.The 997 Turbo has an extremely sensitive ECU/DME making it prone to external environmental corrections so it is imperative that proper, adequate and consistent cooling be available when you dyno any of the 997 Turbos to get accurate and reliable dyno figures both before and after each test.

IPD 997.1 Turbo /S High Flow Y Pipe

To further improve airflow, the innovative IPD High Flow Y-Pipe design is a direct fit OEM replacement that utilizes the same design principles as the plenum. This superior and more efficient design flows 126 more cfm than the factory Y pipe delivering the additional power needed to raise the performance bar on any Turbo. As we all know, bigger is not always better when it comes to forced induction applications. The IPD Y-Pipe is considerably larger than the factory but not so large as to cause pressure drop within the intake tract resulting in turbo lag and reduced performance. Together, the IPD Plenum & Y-Pipe increase horsepower and torque well above the factory power curve from launch to redline. Maximum power increases take place in the mid-range where it's most needed, most critical and most enjoyed. The result will be smooth and linear power with considerably quicker boost response creating a longer and more desirable power band.

IPD 997.1 Turbo Plenum & Y-Pipe Features:

• Increases horsepower, torque, and boost responsibly optimizing air flow efficiency
• Designed with 3D Modeling & Computational Fluid Dynamics software
• Utilizes diversion splitter and dimpled interior surface eliminate turbulence and increase air flow
• High quality cast aluminum construction
• Direct fit OEM replacement
• Made in USA

Please email us at Jerry@BBiAutosport.com or Sales@BBiAutosport.com to place an order or for all questions and inquries!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What is the gain and where is the power added?

I'd like to here from guys who did this , regardless of the parts provider. What was your take on this mod?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a guy dyno a 997tt before and after an ipd plenum, it was only like 1-2hp, but maybe they've improved them by now.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I saw a guy dyno a 997tt before and after an ipd plenum, it was only like 1-2hp, but maybe they've improved them by now.
^ This....

Was wondering the same. A lot of $$ for 1-2 HP. Would be interested in seeing some factual data on before and after with all other variables held constant. That would be great.

Nothing against the OP...Thanks for posting guys!

DC
Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
What is the gain and where is the power added?

I'd like to here from guys who did this , regardless of the parts provider. What was your take on this mod?
I think @ a grand or more. That's@ what I paid for mine new. Got 250 when i sold mine a year or so later. I felt really guilty selling it TBH knowing it did SFA....actually less than nothing. I was tempted to bin it and have a clear conscience, but paying a grand forced me to do the wrong thing and pass on the pain. Looking back on it I should have binned it.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Are you sure he got 1 or 2 hp? Dynos can be manipulated. I recall taking one off my first 997 when I sold it and I swear it went better without it. I kind of felt robbed having it on for so long kidding myself it was an improvement. It was a forgettable experience. But some rave about them I read. Odd. maybe it is the placebo effect after unloading 1K that gets the better of some of us. That's all I can put it down to. I recall being told it takes time to adapt after questioning the vendor but time didn't change anything. The only thing that really changed was I was a grand less in the bank.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you guys talking about the plenum and y-pipes or just the y-pipes? I was under the impression the pipes did very little but the plenum added a reasonable amount of HP? My car came with the IPD plenum installed...
Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I think @ a grand or more. That's@ what I paid for mine new. Got 250 when i sold mine a year or so later. I felt really guilty selling it TBH knowing it did SFA....actually less than nothing. I was tempted to bin it and have a clear conscience, but paying a grand forced me to do the wrong thing and pass on the pain. Looking back on it I should have binned it.

Are you sure he got 1 or 2 hp? Dynos can be manipulated. I recall taking one off my first 997 when I sold it and I swear it went better without it. I kind of felt robbed having it on for so long kidding myself it was an improvement. It was a forgettable experience. But some rave about them I read. Odd. maybe it is the placebo effect after unloading 1K that gets the better of some of us. That's all I can put it down to. I recall being told it takes time to adapt after questioning the vendor but time didn't change anything. The only thing that really changed was I was a grand less in the bank.
Good observations/information. That is more of what I have heard/seen as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

DC
Old 10-11-2015, 01:21 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" The revolutionary and patented design of the IPD Porsche Plenum improves intake air flow by replacing the factory plastic "T" style design with a more efficient, precision casted aluminum "Y" design. The fundamental purpose of a plenum is to deliver smoother air at a higher velocity with greater efficiency. The IPD Plenums distribute the air flow more effectively while reducing pressure drop at the throttle body inlet by utilizing a true merge collector and dimpled interior surfacing. This innovative “Y” diversion area of the IPD Plenum splits and channels the intake air flow to reduce turbulence and increasing velocity. "

" By dimpling the interior surface, there are fewer localized pressure drops around compound curves, thereby increasing the flow. This superior and proven design ultimately results in considerably power gains throughout the horsepower and torque curves. IPD has tested numerous internal surfaces inside the Plenum, including polishing, extrude honing, epoxy coating, and shot peening just to name a few. IPD has invested countless hours developing interior surfacing and have finally been able to perfect a dimpling effect that shows gains over multiple previous attempts.

" By dimpling the interior surface, there are fewer localized pressure drops around compound curves, thereby increasing the flow. This superior and proven design ultimately results in considerably power gains throughout the horsepower and torque curves."

"By dimpling the interior surface, there are fewer localized pressure drops around compound curves, thereby increasing the flow. This superior and proven design ultimately results in considerably power gains throughout the horsepower and torque curves."

"As a result, maximum horsepower gains range from 30 to 35 depending on vehicle condition and pre-existing mods. The 997 Turbo plenums deliver smooth and linear power with considerably quicker boost response creating a longer and more desirable power band. The Turbo plenums deliver reliable performance for both street and motorsport applications enhancing the already visceral Porsche Turbo driving experience."

" Unlike the 996 Turbo the 997 Turbo requires an “adaptation” period that can be fully realized with either a series of hard pulls on the dyno or 10 to 50 miles of hard driving which of course IPD recommends only be performed on a closed circuit race track."

"The 997 Turbo has an extremely sensitive ECU/DME making it prone to external environmental corrections so it is imperative that proper, adequate and consistent cooling be available when you dyno any of the 997 Turbos to get accurate and reliable dyno figures both before and after each test."

Again, claims of conquering Mount Everest, blindfolded and without shoes.

If all you are replacing are plumbing parts between the Intercoolers and the Plenums, couldn't these parts be flowed on a flow bench and the differences in air flow shown.

There would have to be huge restrictions in the factory parts to gain 35HP regardless of what other parts were installed. Or am I reading this wrong? Did the other parts make the 35HP and these did 1-2 HP as suggested by those that fitted them?

These parts look better in some respects I guess, have some features that read well, but appear to make more money for those involved in selling and fitting than making HP, what they claim. There is a disclaimer included, but by adding these alone, there should be a positive difference expected????

My golf ***** have lots of dimples, but I need more than dimples to make them go farther and starter.

Keep it real.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

The Y pipe is a decent product and worthwhile if bigger turbos are being used but pretty pointless on an engine with standard turbos where the stock pipe is easily efficient enough for the air flow.

These plenums.......WTF

They have sold loads of these and it just wreaks of snake oil. Surely they can pay for an independent professional outfit with an engine dyno to do back to back accurate tests, video the testing and provide the data. A proper manufacturer full power test with the engine being braked every few hundred rpm and torque being measured, this will give the real data. Chassis dyno stuff is just ridiculously amateur - pathetic.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The Y pipe is a decent product and worthwhile if bigger turbos are being used but pretty pointless on an engine with standard turbos where the stock pipe is easily efficient enough for the air flow.

These plenums.......WTF

They have sold loads of these and it just wreaks of snake oil. Surely they can pay for an independent professional outfit with an engine dyno to do back to back accurate tests, video the testing and provide the data. A proper manufacturer full power test with the engine being braked every few hundred rpm and torque being measured, this will give the real data. Chassis dyno stuff is just ridiculously amateur - pathetic.
Indeed.

Surely if a pipe between the Intercooler including a larger throttle body are replced an easy flow bench test would show any increase in air flow. That's a very simple test to do, back to back. Then if that results in any increase in air flow, a dyno test would then show if that increase resulted in any additional performance of if the restriction was in the plenums and or cylinder heads. Then regardless of any increase in airflow, changing to these parts would be pointless.
Its about keeping it real. Seems some simple testing would show any benefits.

It does seem like we buy anything shiny even if it makes no difference. The silence from the vendor does make it appear to be questionable.

Keeping it real is important.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

This is all nonsense. As you all know from your earlier parenting days, Vicks menthol rubbing compound made your child breath easier. Well after consistent results time after time, I have applied this tested method to the 997 intake system! Incredible performance since the intake air is much cooler. At first I just mostly refined the use to the Porsche. Well guys, now I even use it on the 2010 Prius with exact results! More power specially after quick accelerations from the supermarket parking lot. The trap times from parking spot to the stop sign have dropped a whopping 56 seconds! Stay tuned for updates since I am now testing KY lubricant on the shifter mechanisms.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"The dimpled surface (akin to a golf ball) creates a thin turbulent boundary layer on the flow surface. The theory behind a golf ball is to keep the air stuck to the back of the ball as long as possible to reduce the wake - and increase pressure behind the ball"

This is the opposite of the truth. The air "sticking" to the back of the golf ball (or trying to) creates drag on the ball.

The dimples act like vortex generators and help the air break free of the ball,.. allowing the ball to rid itself of some of the drag from behind,.. and therefore go further.

You'd want the plenum (at least the convex curves just after the throttle) to be polished smooth,.. to help the air stay attached.

Every hot-rodder and head porting pro knows this. The only reason you don;t high-polish heads and intake runners on old carburated engines is to keep fuel from pooling and sticking to the runner walls. but on multi-port FI engines,.. the smoother the better.

I recently purchased a used 74mm one of these on the recommendation of SamboTT. Haven't received it yet,.. but may install it this winter when I have a few more parts and a clutch going in.

Sam said it was worth some lower mid-range.

The graphs on IPD's site shows a 23 hp gain peak,.. but the power curve up top didn't drop off as fast as before,.. causing a 35 - 40 hp gain at like 6,500. They also showed a max gain of 28 ft lb gain in the mid-range.

Seems VERY hard to believe though.
http://ipdplenums.com/products/plenu...os/9971-turbo#
Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just don't understand how parts sell for years and there are never some dyno runs at a minimum to prove claims by end users. I mean growing up building Hondas and Nissans, there was always a money where your mouth is attitude and parts that were akin "snake oil" never lived long.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the guys at BBI but the IPD Plenum and Y Pipe are a joke for a stock 997 TT. Plus the coupling hose to the TB is a joke. If you have a tune be ready to be constantly popping off that hose. Very poorly engineered..

I like others bought these items and then went back to stock. I sold the parts as well. At a huge loss of course. Unless your building a 700+ TT engine stay with stock.

You want more power go with a Methanol system..

Quick Reply: Porsche 997.1 IPD Competition Plenum & Y-Pipe Installation