TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, dsc box is the real deal.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

am I smoking crack in my sleep or something?

I'm shocked by these reviews!!
Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Best advice would be try it back to back at the track, but if you're not seeing what others are I'd verify that all my shocks and struts are in good working order.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:33 PM
brutusflash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak to coupes, which are always better sorted from the start from less chassis flex, but on my cab it was night and day. The best bang for the buck I believe.
Flash
Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 PM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I know this has been beaten to death but I recently had the chance to try one out.
When I had my 2011 997.2tts the ride with the stock suspension was always 'better' (ie more compliant) than my 997.1tt. I always attributed this to better shock valving and different spring rates. As it turns out the only difference is the spring rates and the factory pasm control unit.
Recently, Tom at tpc contacted me to try one out. Needless to say I took him up on his generous offer.
Is it the Holy Grail, best thing since sliced bread?? No, but it does 'fix' a lot of the 997.1 woes. Background, I have a lot of experience with 997.1 turbos street and track for almost ten years now, owned 4.
When I popped the box in, really only takes 5 min, differences were very noticeable. I immediately recognized the ride as my 997.2tts, but better. Porsche made the .2 more compliant by modifying the pasm control unit. Tpc injects steroids.
Tpc does to factory Porsche what Stewart-Haas does to a factory Chevy. The advantage of Grand Am Rolex racers vs standard tuners IMO.
The factory pasm unit really only uses 15% of the shocks capability, all or none. The dsc manages all 4 shocks independently in real time. The result is improved compliance.
Mode one is like a tuned 997.2tts, much smoother and more compliant. Mode 2 is a little stiffer, mode 3 even more so. All are better than stock. The handling is improved over a rough road big time, a lot less extra movement and sloppiness. Flashing lights are a non issue.
IMO, the dsc box is a big improvement for the stock suspension. It cleans it up and takes all the slop out. The oem with the box is superior to bilstein damntronics in every respect, and probably any street/track coil over that removes the pasm. It levels the playing field with gt cars on the track I would imagine. I can't wait to try it on a high speed track like Watkins glen.
Not the Holy Grail, but well worth it IMO.
C
If possible, I'd love to go for a ride in your .1 to see for myself. I was thinking of eventually getting one but now I'm not sure. I will never track my car but would like better handling w/o lowering or coil overs, etc.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
am I smoking crack in my sleep or something?

I'm shocked by these reviews!!
Quadcammer,

I am sorry to hear you experience with DSC is not a positive as other users. May I suggest sending your unit back to us. I will personally test this unit in a bone stock low mileage 997.1TT. If for whatever reason it doesn't perform as intended I will gladly replace the unit with a new one that is tested. Please PM me to make the arrangement.

Tom
Old 09-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Quadcammer,

I am sorry to hear you experience with DSC is not a positive as other users. May I suggest sending your unit back to us. I will personally test this unit in a bone stock low mileage 997.1TT. If for whatever reason it doesn't perform as intended I will gladly replace the unit with a new one that is tested. Please PM me to make the arrangement.

Tom
I appreciate the offer. I thought the unit either worked or it didn't. Maybe I'm missing something and there are some form of failure modes that I'm not aware of.

Just took the DSC box out.

Now, maybe I'm getting old, but on the crappy roads in northern NJ, the stock suspension box is simply much much more comfortable. Yes, its bouncy and a bit wallowy, but for day to day driving, I prefer it.

Clearly sport mode is rock hard, but for good driving on mountain roads, it should be fine.

Unless there is some defect with this unit, it will be up for sale soon.

Tom, PM sent

Last edited by Quadcammer; 09-28-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: reducing my inherent pissy-ness
Old 09-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

a nice offer from Tom.

will report back on the resolution.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I appreciate the offer. I thought the unit either worked or it didn't. Maybe I'm missing something and there are some form of failure modes that I'm not aware of.

Just took the DSC box out.

Now, maybe I'm getting old, but on the crappy roads in northern NJ, the stock suspension box is simply much much more comfortable. Yes, its bouncy and a bit wallowy, but for day to day driving, I prefer it.

Clearly sport mode is rock hard, but for good driving on mountain roads, it should be fine.

Unless there is some defect with this unit, it will be up for sale soon.

Tom, PM sent
Price? i'm local

Also Tom, thoughts on -20% group buy?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Jared, Tom is going to take a look at my dsc box, but if I decide its not for me, you're first in line.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

ok gang, so I sent the box to TPC and apparently the software used is a few generations behind. This was a box I bought pre-owned, so this is through no fault of TPC.

They are going to revamp this unit with the latest software and I'll post my review upon receipt.

Hoping to experience the same characteristics as my fellow 997TT owners.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed one w the latest software, seemed to "stabilize" the car based upon a brief test.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

So the early versions were worthless and the new ones aren't? lol
Old 10-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

No I wouldn't say that. To me, the early version was very stiff on mode 1, but generally pretty good on modes 2 and 3, where you want a stiffer ride. It definitely took the floatiness out, but to me it was a bit too much.

We shall see what the newest version is like.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:16 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Lets hope their great customer service does not jade your next review because i'm tired of high priced mods that are marginal at best. Looking forward to your true feelings before I decide on this box for street use.

Quick Reply: Tpc dsc box mini review