Sponsored by:

New Member 997.2 Turbo S Modded Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:05 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero911
He has an E60 M5 with a custom low compression build running a modified ESS VT2 kit. He's from NorCal. He was in your latest or second to latest video. But anyhow, welcome!
Ah yes of course. He was only running something like 10psi from what I remember. Needs more boost!!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:37 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
Ha thx brotha! Looking forward to seeing how you do at NFZ Midwest coming up!
Thanks!

Quick ? for you.....When you run these 1/2 mile events, do you typically do anything with tire pressure? Just wondering what you run them at?

DC
Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by therock88
Thanks!

Quick ? for you.....When you run these 1/2 mile events, do you typically do anything with tire pressure? Just wondering what you run them at?

DC
1/2 mile is a long distance and the higher the tire pressure, typically the higher the trap speed. So I keep tire pressure stock for these events because they typically start from a roll-on of between 40-50mph and I get full traction (no spin at all) with r888 tires.

At the Shift Sector 1/2 mile events they began using a remotely controlled tree at the start line similar to a drag strip so people could go from a standing start. While I didn't reduce tire pressure, I might try that next time as my launches were pretty bad. At the drag strip I dropped the rears down to 28-30psi and worked much better than stock at 40-44psi, but then I may give up 1 mph on the top end by doing this.

Would be good to invest in one of those air pump machines that get power from your car's cig lighter output that way you can lower/raise pressure when needed. I have one it was like $60 and all my buddies use it at these race events works great. If you need more info on it let me know.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:23 AM
therock88
Pro

1/2 mile is a long distance and the higher the tire pressure, typically the higher the trap speed. So I keep tire pressure stock for these events because they typically start from a roll-on of between 40-50mph and I get full traction (no spin at all) with r888 tires.

At the Shift Sector 1/2 mile events they began using a remotely controlled tree at the start line similar to a drag strip so people could go from a standing start. While I didn't reduce tire pressure, I might try that next time as my launches were pretty bad. At the drag strip I dropped the rears down to 28-30psi and worked much better than stock at 40-44psi, but then I may give up 1 mph on the top end by doing this.

Would be good to invest in one of those air pump machines that get power from your car's cig lighter output that way you can lower/raise pressure when needed. I have one it was like $60 and all my buddies use it at these race events works great. If you need more info on it let me know.
That is great....Kind of what I thought, but wanted your thoughts as you have done a ton of these, and I have done none

I do have a Craftsman 12V pump station with digital gauge, etc. built in, so I will take that with me to the event. My wife said she will follow me in the Cayenne and bring my big portable (15 Gall) fuel pump with race fuel...and I will add this air pump and some tools, and maybe a floor jack??

Thanks!!
DC

Old 08-20-2015, 09:49 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by therock88
That is great....Kind of what I thought, but wanted your thoughts as you have done a ton of these, and I have done none

I do have a Craftsman 12V pump station with digital gauge, etc. built in, so I will take that with me to the event. My wife said she will follow me in the Cayenne and bring my big portable (15 Gall) fuel pump with race fuel...and I will add this air pump and some tools, and maybe a floor jack??

Thanks!!
DC

Perfect! The only other item I would recommend is a water sprayer. Put some water/ice to spray down your intercoolers. They get so hot between runs with your car just sitting because they are next to the engine which radiates a lot of heat. Spray them with cold water just before you do a run. Imagine the difference in IATs if your intercoolers right before your run are 180 deg vs 80 deg and wet!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM
therock88
Pro

Perfect! The only other item I would recommend is a water sprayer. Put some water/ice to spray down your intercoolers. They get so hot between runs with your car just sitting because they are next to the engine which radiates a lot of heat. Spray them with cold water just before you do a run. Imagine the difference in IATs if your intercoolers right before your run are 180 deg vs 80 deg and wet!
Excellent point/idea. I also do not have Meth injection, so this will definitely help. I do have the 997.2 GT2RS Intercoolers, so at least they should stay cooler than the .1 and recover quicker...maybe I will take a loooong cool down lap off the track after each run to get some air flow...haha

I also have the Torque app for my Android phone/tablet and Bluetooth OBDII dongle, so I can easily watch the IAT etc...

Thanks for the tip(s)

DC
Old 08-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys using launch control when starting from stand still?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Thx saabin. Speaking of vids, here is a vid of the last Airstrip event I attended in May at NoFlyZone California. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi4Wf-f_gUk

Perhaps I'm just a moron, but what are the rules on this race? You start from a stop, roll till you hit the cone line... then nail it? It seems almost impossible to get a fair start?

I know, I know, crawl back into my cave
Old 08-20-2015, 04:45 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Zero911
Are you guys using launch control when starting from stand still?
Sometimes I do. The surface is really bad tho, not nearly as good as the street because there is a lot of sand and other debris on the starting line. Just depends on who is the opponent. If it's a GTR, then hell yeah gotta show them that they can't out launch a Porsche
Old 08-20-2015, 04:48 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Perhaps I'm just a moron, but what are the rules on this race? You start from a stop, roll till you hit the cone line... then nail it? It seems almost impossible to get a fair start?

I know, I know, crawl back into my cave
Good question. You agree with the opponent if you want to go from a standing start or a roll. If you go from a roll then you agree on a roll-on speed.

From a dig it's pretty simple. Either go with the arm drop of if there is a tree (Shift Sector events), then go when the light turns green.

From a roll yes there is some coordination that needs to occur to be at the starting cone at the same time and at the same speed. Most of the time it works out, but sometimes it doesn't. A couple times in that vid people jumped me, and once on accident I jumped (on the R8). It happens and is just part of the game. Can always have a rematch.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Longboarder.

I love your cars! White M3's are my favorite! Your turbo is awesome.

Freakin love your videos. Very very cool. Great to have you on the forum. How many miles are on your turbo? Also do you track with the ceramics?

Phillip
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 PM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by phillipj
Longboarder.

I love your cars! White M3's are my favorite! Your turbo is awesome.

Freakin love your videos. Very very cool. Great to have you on the forum. How many miles are on your turbo? Also do you track with the ceramics?

Phillip
Hey thanks Phillip!

My Porsche just crossed 36,000 miles. She's a work horse for sure! I have tracked the car twice. Each time I track the car it goes back to BBI for a full evaluation of the brakes and suspension components. If there is any wear noted on the rotors, then that's the last track event ever. But there is little risk since I have decided to track with the stock pads. A more aggressive pad could wear the rotors.

I'm ok with that because I can track my M3 as well. But even at 600 horsepower with an aftermarket big brake kit, camber plates and race wheels/tires, the M3 is nowhere near as fast as the Porsche!
Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Adam!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car! Have fun with it. I know your's is modded, but I came across this (below) on ************. Seems you got a good car to start from! For me, bone stock, even for a few hundred feet on the street, DFI and PDK, boom, like a missile! Porsche never ceases to amaze.

Wow. Quite simply, wow. Talk about a car that just right out of the box impresses. Close to mid 10's and 130 in a stock car, incredible. The 997.2 Turbo S simply is a epic achievement. The launch control and PDK transmission clearly help as a 1.58 60 foot is mind boggling for a stock car on street rubber. The launch control system works and works very damn well. The result using it is a 10.672@129.80 for what is a new stock 997 Turbo 1/4 mile record
Old 08-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jezzzzzus OP you murdered that SLS black!

Quick Reply: New Member 997.2 Turbo S Modded Up