Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche of Tysons damaged my 997 Turbo's engine and bumper (AGAIN!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015 | 09:45 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
bet you he's not.

Trust no one.
He's been fair and honest with me. I trust people until I'm proven wrong by their actions. It's too bad you're so cynical.
Old 06-19-2015 | 10:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by 4ocious
He's been fair and honest with me. I trust people until I'm proven wrong by their actions. It's too bad you're so cynical.
I've spent years dealing with contractors, automotive shops, and vendors of various types.

With rare exception, I've never been impressed. In fact, i've been lied to, let down, and discovered flat out incompetence/negligence on several occasions (as is the case here).

Here's the other problem, how are you verifying that the man is honest? Most people don't have the knowledge or skills to identify whether work is done competently.
Old 06-19-2015 | 11:54 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
So where DO you bring a car like this? I'm about to buy one (in the next year, if I can ever find one in my color combo with the options I'm looking for) and plan to have Rockville Porsche do all the maintenance for years and years on it while it's under the extended warranty. Are they ok? I pretty much have to use them! I live and work right near there and am NOT going to VA for repairs. Convenience is king for me.

rockville porsche is fine. They always come through for me and Matt and Alex are awesome.

But I warn you, ONLY ASK FOR EARL. All their other techs are complete and total sh**. So make sure only Earl works on your car. He is the only competent porsche tech in this area it seems.
Old 06-19-2015 | 02:03 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
rockville porsche is fine.
But I warn you, ONLY ASK FOR EARL. All their other techs are complete and total sh**.
Um, then no, Rockville is not fine. If you're saying all but one of the techs are complete sh**, that's not my definition of a 'fine' dealership. Also, what lead you to the conclusion that all other techs are total sh**? I'm guessing through firsthand experience, if so than I stand by my first comment, Rockville is not fine.
Old 06-19-2015 | 03:32 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Um, then no, Rockville is not fine. If you're saying all but one of the techs are complete sh**, that's not my definition of a 'fine' dealership. Also, what lead you to the conclusion that all other techs are total sh**? I'm guessing through firsthand experience, if so than I stand by my first comment, Rockville is not fine.

I'm sorry do you live in this area? Or are you just trying to start a fight? What more do you need? The service adviser is good, the service manager more importantly is good, and there is one very competent tech. Do you need 5 techs to fix your car or to make you feel good about it?

Yes the other techs are **** because anytime I talk to them, the only thing that comes out of their mouth is stupidity.

To the OP: I have no experience with tysons but any problem or anyone I know who has brought a problem to Earl, he has fixed it. He is an excellent tech and Matt and Alex will stand by the work. They won't try and f**K you the way Tysons is doing. For their paint work they use europro which is the best body shop for porsche in our area. I can also vouch for their work.

But you can always try your luck at silver spring as well. Also the regional service adviser will be in the area on the 26th, so you could always talk to him as well. He is a good guy too.
Old 06-19-2015 | 07:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by jem7v
I'm sorry do you live in this area? Or are you just trying to start a fight? What more do you need? The service adviser is good, the service manager more importantly is good, and there is one very competent tech. Do you need 5 techs to fix your car or to make you feel good about it?

Yes the other techs are **** because anytime I talk to them, the only thing that comes out of their mouth is stupidity.

To the OP: I have no experience with tysons but any problem or anyone I know who has brought a problem to Earl, he has fixed it. He is an excellent tech and Matt and Alex will stand by the work. They won't try and f**K you the way Tysons is doing. For their paint work they use europro which is the best body shop for porsche in our area. I can also vouch for their work.

But you can always try your luck at silver spring as well. Also the regional service adviser will be in the area on the 26th, so you could always talk to him as well. He is a good guy too.
You serious? What if earl has a cold and is home? What if the only decent mechanic is busy with other stuff?

Relying on a single decent mechanic at a dealer will leave you pretty disappointed.
Old 06-19-2015 | 08:54 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

You serious? What if earl has a cold and is home? What if the only decent mechanic is busy with other stuff?

Relying on a single decent mechanic at a dealer will leave you pretty disappointed.
Hey he just was on his honeymoon after getting married for 2 weeks. I got 2 rattles in my car that need to be fixed so I waited. I mean it's your car, if you want to roll the dice with people you may or not be able to trust then by all means go ahead. But going to people you can't trust is what got the OP into this mess. As I said, there is another dealer in our area, he can try his luck there. We only have 3 near us really.
Old 06-21-2015 | 07:57 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

id charge them with vehicle rape.
Old 06-21-2015 | 11:40 AM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

+1..

I don't doubt that Earl is awesomness, but if I only trusted one person in a shop, while distrusting everyone else, I wouldn't be comfortable with the place, unless I was permitted to sit there and watch exactly who worked on my car. Shops get busy and need to balance/shuffle/etc.
Old 06-21-2015 | 12:37 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drivingon9
+1..

I don't doubt that Earl is awesomness, but if I only trusted one person in a shop, while distrusting everyone else, I wouldn't be comfortable with the place, unless I was permitted to sit there and watch exactly who worked on my car. Shops get busy and need to balance/shuffle/etc.
That's true. But the service adviser and manager wouldn't do that. If you tell them only person is allowed to touch the car they will listen. If they get busy then the car has to sit longer. But again, there aren't many dealers to choose from in this area, so you have to work with what you have. I think people are losing sight of that. If you have to go to a porsche dealer and there are only 3, well then you have to make the best choice. I actually prefer dealing though with one good mechanic. That is how I have always done it with any car I have had, and it always works out well. And my car is a DD. And every one before that. Most other people these are second cars for them, so it taking longer really shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-22-2015 | 03:34 AM
djantlive
Drifting

This thread is why dealers lies and are incompetent. Some of you are so gullible and know little next to nothing abt verifying quality work.
Old 06-23-2015 | 12:12 AM
plinc
6th Gear

xxx

Last edited by plinc; 10-29-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: xxx
Old 06-23-2015 | 11:43 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by plinc
Update 3: After declining Dave McBrearty (Porsche of Tysons General Manager)'s "generous offer" to fix my car at full cost he responded to my better business bureau complaint by saying " Mr. Lincoln claims we removed the vacuum pump but we did not. The Vacuum is on the opposite side of the engine from what we worked on."

At no point did I claim the vacuum pump was removed; as clearly stated in my complaints and the paperwork supplied by Penske Automotive upon receipt of my vehicle they replaced the oil reservoir. In fact they claimed to be a subcontractor and had penske mark up their labor rates. Classy.
What a massive f@cking *******. At least it got confirmed that they can't be trusted. Keep this thread updated and send him a link once in a while. Document everything (obviously), take it to a trusted body-shop (IMHO most of the time that isn't a Porsche dealership but an independent shop that specializes in high-end and exotic cars). Keep sending him the invoice. It will be a while (again, been there), but they'll probably end up paying. Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 06-24-2015 | 08:13 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

I am headed back to DC next summer from Stuttgart. Good to find out the places to AVOID before I get there!
Old 06-27-2015 | 06:07 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about all of the problems you've run into while working with Porsche of Tysons Corner.

If you still need a good body shop to fix your car, check out D&V Autobody. They are one of the best in the area.

Quick Reply: Porsche of Tysons damaged my 997 Turbo's engine and bumper (AGAIN!)