Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on a new purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015 | 01:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Default Advice on a new purchase...

Hey guys, first post. I am going to be looking for a 911 Turbo (prefer S, but budget might not allow). I wanted to get some expert advice on these cars, since I have never owned a Porsche.

Here are the things I am looking at...

1. I am only looking for CPO cars. That does limit my options, since I guess I am going through a dealer to get one.

2. I prefer a non convertible model, but that seems to limit things quite a bit more. Any opinions one way or the other? I live in Colorado.

3. Targeting 2011 to 2012 Turbo S with 35k or less miles. I am not going to put that many miles on her (not a DD).

4. I am thinking I will pick the car up regardless of location in the USA, if I can find the right one. Any issues doing that regarding CPO? I am assuming service could be done locally in Colorado.

I know I am missing a lot of things, and I don't know much about model differences/changes between 2010 and 2012 years.

If you were me, what things would you be focusing on to make sure you get the car you want, at a fair price?

I appreciate all the help!
Old 06-02-2015 | 01:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

If you buy a CPO car, then you'll be buying it at a Porsche dealer. They will charge a premium for a CPO car, but I think it's a good program. You can have work done at any Porsche dealer.

Production numbers are relatively low for the car you seek, so just be patient and you should be able to find a car. Most 911 turbos are black, silver, gray or white.

FWIW, I find the cabriolet to be the perfect car for Colorado. I originally began my search for coupes only, but once I drove a cabriolet I found it difficult to resist. Colorado weather allows for top down driving at some point in every month of the year.
Old 06-02-2015 | 03:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks Dennis. I am wondering if buying an extended warranty and looking for CPO and Non CPO would make more sense? This way I believe I can go 3rd party as well.

Thanks for your take on the cabriolet! Something to consider.
Old 06-02-2015 | 03:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

A 3rd party warranty isn't a bad option. I think you'll find that most of them cost as much as a CPO warranty or more, but it will open up your search to more possible vehicles. A Porsche dealer can help you arrange a 3rd party warranty on a non-CPO car.

I searched for my 997 turbo for quite a while because I prefer unusual colors and I had certain options that were "must haves". I ended up finding it at Porsche of Colorado Springs. We agreed on a CPO price, and then ultimately I was unable to get the CPO warranty because the car had a very low number of Stage 4 over-revs. Porsche won't usually CPO a car with anything over Stage 3, although I have heard that they will waive this requirement with a successful compression leak-down test. I negotiated with the dealer a bit more and ended up with the 3rd party warranty. So far, so good.
Old 06-02-2015 | 04:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks for the info. If I consider a private party car, how will I know if it has been over-reved? Is it something only the dealer or Porsche mechanic can identify?
Old 06-02-2015 | 04:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks for the info. If I consider a private party car, how will I know if it has been over-reved? Is it something only the dealer or Porsche mechanic can identify?
Any over revs should show in the PPI report you get (assuming you ask for one...which, BTW, is highly recommended).
Old 06-02-2015 | 04:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Okay thanks for the info. I will definitely get one done.
Old 06-02-2015 | 04:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Any over revs should show in the PPI report you get (assuming you ask for one...which, BTW, is highly recommended).
Exactly. The PPI should include a DME scan, among other things.

The beauty of the CPO car is that all the things that are typically done in a PPI are done as part of the CPO process.
Old 06-02-2015 | 06:04 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
OP if you're hunting for a Turbo S then it is only available in PDK, so you shouldn't have any trouble regrading over revs

good luck
Old 06-02-2015 | 06:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Sounds good. Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2015 | 06:37 PM
Retinasurgeon
Advanced

Originally Posted by robmypro
Sounds good. Thanks guys.
REgarding CPO, if you buy from a private individual and they still have CPO on the car, then the CPO transfers to you. So that is another thing to consider is getting the car for private sale.

It worked out really well for me, I had the clutch master / slave / accumulator replaced under CPO.
Old 06-02-2015 | 06:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ceremony
REgarding CPO, if you buy from a private individual and they still have CPO on the car, then the CPO transfers to you. So that is another thing to consider is getting the car for private sale.

It worked out really well for me, I had the clutch master / slave / accumulator replaced under CPO.
That is good to know! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Advice on a new purchase...