Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic transformation with ECU tune vs 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic transformation with ECU tune vs 6 speed?

I have personal experience how a 6 speed manual transforms when flashed. Night and day difference with a good tune. How does a 6speed car flash compare to tip tronic car flash performance-wise? I realize the automatic transmission takes some advantages of the flash away, rev limiter cannot be pumped up etc.

If I were to recommend a tune for a tiptronic owner on basis of my experience with manual transmission, will I be misleading?

On a tip car, will the ecu tune also affect the transmission?

I would like to learn more about the differences concerning flash of a tip versus flash of a manual.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:43 AM
93ls1rx7
Instructor

Why cant the rev limiter be raised?

Tuning the ECU will not effect the transmission but there are companies out there that have transmission recalibrations as well to adapt to performance upgrades. I know ES Motors does for sure.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

You cannot hit the rev limiter with automatic. That is what I know. I might be wrong, hence this thread. Guys with tuned tiptronics, elaborate...
Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Guybrush Wilkinson
You cannot hit the rev limiter with automatic. That is what I know. I might be wrong, hence this thread. Guys with tuned tiptronics, elaborate...
Yep...You can hit and exceed the rev limiter with a Tiptronic. Happens a lot more often on tuned cars.

I have a tuned Tiptronic and easily hit 1 and 2 range regularly. Others are possible too, but I try to avoid them by manually shifting.

DC
Old 05-31-2015, 10:48 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not sure I understand why some tuners raise the rev limits, does a couple hundred RPM really help that much?
Old 05-31-2015, 01:38 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe at least sometimes it's to enable better numbers (or cornering speeds) by moving shift points around; for instance, if you're aiming for 0-60 and can hold 2nd a bit longer and avoid a shift to 3rd. Generally redline is beyond the power peak of the engine so it's not to make more power.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i can't compare mine to 6 sp as i don't know. Most everyone with a tune says there tune is nice!!

Bought FVD tune when it was on sale in 2014 for my 07 997.1TT Tip, aked them to keep the RPMs at stock level rather than increasing them by 200 & tune for 100 cell cats. I do have some level 1 & 2 overrevs now on durametric since tune. Asked FVD & they said they did keep my tune to stock RPMs & that level 1 & 2 are normal even for a TIP.

I'm pleased with the tune on my street only car -but have no experience with any other tune so can't compare. Only other mods are Europipe1 & DSC unit-

FVD seemed to wake up the performance nicely especially with the Europipe 1- EP1 removed the vacuum machine sound & gives just enough growl w/o it being too loud. DSC unit replaced the stock PASM really transformed the suspension feel- No more floaty feeling in normal or too harsh in sport- all 3 modes are really nice. Also like that i can put car back to stock tune with FVD & easily take out DSC unit & put back PASM when taking to dealer for service.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic transformation with ECU tune vs 6 speed?