Sponsored by:

Replacing PCCB with steel rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
etepman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I saw a 2012 gt3 having all 4 replaced the other day for excessive wear, only about a dozen hard track days.
Thank you! I will get a second opinion as to whether they need replacement or not just in case, but my main question is: for my intended use: daily driver with 6+/- auto crosses a year, if I go with original PCCB, will I destroy them in a year, or only hard tracking does that? ...is auto cross as hard on PCCB as real track? I've never been on a track, have no basis for comparison...thank you!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by etepman
Thank you Elliot, the car was not CPO, but PPI mechanic did not mention anything about rotors. Car arrived here in Los Angeles, this morning, I took it to local mechanic to have her looked over and that is where the issue was brought up. It sounds like I should really get a second opinion just in case. We did not measure the rotors, just visually inspected and I was told the rear ones are goners...thank you! Here are PPI pics of pads...I know it does not do much to address the rotors...but still. I think you can see wear indicator on one of the pics, right in line with valve stem...

Is this a ware indicator inline with valve stem?

Elliot

from these photos I don't see any damage or wear. I don't think he knew what he was looking at.
You can certainly do Auto X or drivers ed on PCCBs with out worry and you will be amazed how much bite they have..
The reason track junkies use steel is they consider them a wear item and want to buy new ceramics even if they last 10 times longer.
PCCBs on on the 918 spyder just make a point.
Elliot
Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbohead
from these photos I don't see any damage or wear. I don't think he knew what he was looking at.
You can certainly do Auto X or drivers ed on PCCBs with out worry and you will be amazed how much bite they have..
The reason track junkies use steel is they consider them a wear item and want to buy new ceramics even if they last 10 times longer.
PCCBs on on the 918 spyder just make a point.
Elliot
Oh, how I hope you are right Elliot!!! What is the proper way to measure the rotor? Just take it to a dealer vs. indy? How does a dumb rookie go about not being taken?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 AM
max95se
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the car!

I thought pccb discs are weighted to see if they are still good or not. that's what the pcar mechanic told
me and they don't measure the thickness like the steel discs.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 AM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by max95se
congrats on the car!

I thought pccb discs are weighted to see if they are still good or not. that's what the pcar mechanic told
me and they don't measure the thickness like the steel discs.
I am hopelessly confused now :-). But it does give thickness measurements on the rotors themselves...will measure over the weekend and see if we are within those limits...will also read the manual over the weekend...just afraid that wherever I go someone will see a $10,000 job and won't give me straight scoop as to whether they are good or not...or maybe I jut being overly paranoid...
Old 05-29-2015, 04:15 AM
Rogor
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone 6-8 month ago was willing to sell a complete set of used (but good condition) PCCB for about half the price you mentioned. You might wanna use the search button on this.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rogor
Someone 6-8 month ago was willing to sell a complete set of used (but good condition) PCCB for about half the price you mentioned. You might wanna use the search button on this.
Will do..thank you!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Edgemonty
Intermediate

pics look great. I'm glad you finally have the car. I looked at the brake pics. rears don't seem bad at all. I agree with Elliott - I don't think the guy knows what he is looking at.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Wear rings are showing on the rear. Visible is not too bad. At this point I would disassemble and weigh. There is a spec they need to weigh in at, if they are lighter than spec they need to be tossed. My rears look like that as well.

Used sets of PCCB rotors are always available on RL. Most of them are reasonable. I myself have purchased one or two sets here.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgemonty
pics look great. I'm glad you finally have the car. I looked at the brake pics. rears don't seem bad at all. I agree with Elliott - I don't think the guy knows what he is looking at.
Thank you! For sure I'll be getting a second opinion...just got a dealer quote for the rotors...needless to say that is not going to happen...I am secretly hoping that you guys are right and I am good to go...but even this potentially big expense can't seem to hurt my mood. I LOVE the car...yesterday as I was walking through parking lot toward it, I caught myself giggling...just awesome!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Wear rings are showing on the rear. Visible is not too bad. At this point I would disassemble and weigh. There is a spec they need to weigh in at, if they are lighter than spec they need to be tossed. My rears look like that as well.

Used sets of PCCB rotors are always available on RL. Most of them are reasonable. I myself have purchased one or two sets here.
Brilliant! Thank you! I've noticed that the thickness is mentioned on the rotors themselves...I was going to measure the thickness today...so the only way to determine serviceability is to weigh vs. measure thickness? Been a crazy week, but I feel some quality time on RL and Google coming on this weekend :-)...that is if I can stop driving the car...so far I couldn't :-).
Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Yes.

Only real way to know if the rotors are timed out is to disassemble and weigh. There is a PDF floating around here in RL concerning this. The fibers burn out from the outside surface through the rotor. If enough fibers burn up, the rotor loses too much mass. Some people base the rotor life on surface porosity (rougher the texture, less time it has before R&R).

Hope that helps.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Yes.

Only real way to know if the rotors are timed out is to disassemble and weigh. There is a PDF floating around here in RL concerning this. The fibers burn out from the outside surface through the rotor. If enough fibers burn up, the rotor loses too much mass. Some people base the rotor life on surface porosity (rougher the texture, less time it has before R&R).

Hope that helps.
It does help. I now know this is above my pay grade (I could handle measuring thickness). Will take her to a dealer for 2nd opinion/weighing of the rotors. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2015, 03:59 PM
ChugsTurbo
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on one beast of car. I just got a 2011 Turbo S coupe also. speed yellow. congrats again.

my car had 13,500 miles on it...I took it in for its 4 year/30k mile maintenance and they went over the whole car, all they recommended was a brake fluid flush and said my rotors/pads were all fine..

car had to have been tracked, but I would do what the other guys said and have it seen at a reputable Porsche dealer, the PCCB rotors have a different appearance as if they are cracked all over
Old 06-01-2015, 05:08 PM
etepman
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChugsTurbo
congrats on one beast of car. I just got a 2011 Turbo S coupe also. speed yellow. congrats again.

my car had 13,500 miles on it...I took it in for its 4 year/30k mile maintenance and they went over the whole car, all they recommended was a brake fluid flush and said my rotors/pads were all fine..

car had to have been tracked, but I would do what the other guys said and have it seen at a reputable Porsche dealer, the PCCB rotors have a different appearance as if they are cracked all over
Nice! Yes, now that I've lived with it for a few days, I am definitely afraid of her...she is a LOT faster than my skills...since she won't be slowing down, I better beef up on my skills :-). As to rotors I will do just that...I did measure them over the weekend and one of the rears is almost at minimum width (as printed on the rotors). I'll be taking her to a dealer soon...

Quick Reply: Replacing PCCB with steel rotors?