Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squealing Without Touching Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015 | 10:42 PM
GR997
4th Gear

Default Brake Squealing Without Touching Brakes

I have a 2007 911 turbo. I am having an issue with a squealing noise coming from the passenger side front wheel at low speed. It sounds like metal is touching the rotor. When I touch the brakes lightly it goes away. The passenger side wheel bearing was worn out and the mechanic thought the noise was from the bearing. I just had both front wheel bearing replaced today but the noise is still there. I have ceramic brakes. The squealing noise is never there when I brake. Could the pads be worn? I have 47000 km. Never been tracked.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by GR997; 05-28-2015 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-28-2015 | 12:57 AM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by GR997
It sounds like the brake squealer is touching the rotor. When I touch the brakes lightly it goes away.
Which part exactly is the "brake squealer"??

Seriously though, maybe you just have a sticky caliper that is not retracting the pad correctly??
Old 05-28-2015 | 01:07 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Boeing 717;12314984
Seriously though, maybe you just have a sticky caliper that is not retracting the pad correctly??[/QUOTE]+1

I am running new PFC pads (changed from Pagid R29s).

On my way home from Watkins Glen my car made a crazy wailing sound suddenly coming from right rear. At first I wasn't sure what it was - but after stepping on brakes the sound changed and then went away. Never returned. I think I had a sticky caliper/pad or maybe something got in between (rock?).

Sticky caliper would be likely culprit from your description
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:21 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

I doubt your pads are worn. Just replaced my fronts only at 75K miles, and they were only 50% gone.

You might have some debris in the rotor holes. Inspect first for a stuck pebble or some such.

Take your car to a DIY wash with a high pressure hose. Hit all the holes in the rotor, then roll the car forward 1/4 turn and hit the ones that were hidden by the caliper. Careful you don't hit the paint on the caliper with the high pressure.

Careful braking coming out of the car wash. As you know, wet PCCB take a brief braking pressure to dry out before they work perfectly.

If this does not solve it, try the usual 3 times braking from 80-20 mph used for breaking in pads and rotors.
Old 05-28-2015 | 03:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Try going moderately quickly in reverse and almost slamming on the brakes. See if the noise persists after that. Might be a good idea to take a pressure washer and get in there to spray out any debris that could be in there. I also had a rock that was stuck between the dust plate and rotor once. Caused a god awful sound, but was constantly there so doesn't seem to be your issue.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:02 PM
MONKY LONDON
Intermediate

I get this too at low speed, usually after a spirited drive. Same noise as brake squeal, but without actually braking. Maybe when hot caliper is ever so slightly binding?
Old 05-28-2015 | 08:19 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I've heard this too recently.
Old 05-29-2015 | 08:35 PM
GR997
4th Gear

I pressure washed the rotors and wiped the brake dust off of them and the squealing went away for about a day.
I took it back in today and my mechanic pulled the pads and found nothing imbedded in them. They had a couple of minor cracks. Cleaned both of the pads and rotors. On of the pads was a little loose so this may have caused the noise as well as the brake dust. They look like they are 50% worn. All is quiet now.

One other thing I have noticed is when hard turning to the right at low speed the passenger side wheel feels like it is buckling or slipping. I was told this is normal because of it being 4 wheel drive and it is just the diff creating this feeling in the wheel as it is under torque trying to turn the corner while turning the wheel. It does not seem to do it when hard turning to the left.
Any comments of what I seem to be experiencing?

Quick Reply: Brake Squealing Without Touching Brakes