Sponsored by:

Replacing front inner tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015 | 08:33 PM
jonoz
Instructor

Default Replacing front inner tie rods

Hello.
I was advised that my front inner tie rods were "loose" on my low mileage (25,000) non tracked/abused 2007 997 turbo and needed replacing.
I am puzzled by this as the steering is precise and accurate.
Can anyone advise me on this issue?
Thanks
Old 05-27-2015 | 10:46 PM
echerbst
Intermediate

Yeah they get a little play in the joint. Will not feel it driving, steering wheel might be a little off center at worst.
I have to do them on my 07 turbo also, when u jack up car place hand and 3 and 6 oclock and rock wheel back in forth. You will feel the play in the joint.

I have done a few other caymans / boxsters not that big a deal can do with rack still in the car takes an hour at most.

TRW is oem parts can get them off pelican parts for way cheaper than same part from dealer.

If you are in Chicago area hit me up and I can get you all fixed up.
Old 05-28-2015 | 03:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

One of the most common parts to replace are the tie rods. These rods have two universal joints on each end and control the angular position of each front wheel when the car is steered. If the tie rod's joints are worn, then precise steering is impossible, and the car will also have wobbly front wheels and a possible alignment problem. Sometimes vibrations in the steering wheel can be caused by worn out tie rods too.

As stated above, click here to purchase tie rods. We also have a great DIY tech article here that can help with the replacement.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (09-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Replacing front inner tie rods