Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm curious

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015 | 11:33 PM
saudio
Advanced

Default I'm curious

Has anybody here moved from a 997.1 manual to a 997.2 PDK? I have a 997.1 6MT and I love it. Every sports car I've ever loved has been a manual. But I also love the raw power and gut grabbing acceleration the TT has on store.

So, looking down the road I'm tempted to try to afford a 997.2 S just for the thrill of 0-60. But moves from Turbo to Turbo don't come cheap and I'm going to be stuck with my decision for a while.

I'm asking if someone who loves paddling through the gears will find happiness and fulfillment with a second faster 0-60 time.
Old 05-19-2015 | 12:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I did....with a new '11tts for almost a yr, had to go back to a manual.
The pdk is blistering fast on the track in sport plus, on the street not so much. I used the paddles all the time for the first month, after that just left it in drive like the rest of the commuting drones.
Others love the pdk, I prefer the manual.
Old 05-19-2015 | 12:35 AM
saudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The pdk is blistering fast on the track in sport plus, on the street not so much. I used the paddles all the time for the first month, after that just left it in drive like the rest of the commuting drones.
That is a helpful answer, sir. I picture myself all grins for a couple months as my PDK screams through the gears for me, thinking about all the exotic cars I could go faster than. Then the realization might set in that none of those cars are anywhere around me, and even if they were I wouldn't race them anyway because I like having a drivers license. And a car.

My car is stupid fast and stupid fun. I'm not sure if the fast part was stupider the fun part would follow.
Old 05-19-2015 | 01:41 AM
elite1
Racer

PDK is faster for sure.

I own a manual 997.1 turbo and track my car. Love it!

The manual part at the track just makes it a better track day for me. You really understand the car while, being more engaged with how it reacts.

This, makes you a well rounded driver.
Old 05-19-2015 | 09:03 AM
Dstutler
Pro

I'm on my 3rd PCar, this being my first Turbo. I have PDK and at first felt I was missing the MT - but about 3months into it you learn to use it effectively. Just running around town I stay in Sport with PASM Normal but when doing mountain runs I use Sport or Sport + and Sport PASM with manual mode paddles. This give me what I enjoy as a combination.
Old 05-19-2015 | 09:48 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

The only time I miss not having a manual is if I am doing back road spirited driving. But in the defense of the PDK, I really probably wouldn't be able to go as fast. I like how the PDK allows you to just focus on what's in front of you and not heel toeing or anything else.

This could be because I am not the greatest track driver for a manual. I've only had 2 manual cars. So I imagine it would depend on your skill level with a stick. If you drive like Chris Harris, then the manual would be better.
Old 05-19-2015 | 10:32 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I use to almost fall asleep driving DCT on my M3. It was fun at first then the novelty wore off. If you track the car I would recommend PDK for superior shifting, but on the road, it gets boring. Also to be uber fast you don't even need to shift and just put it in drive and mash the pedal. Hence automatic. I made sure my next car was a manual after having a dual clutch.
Old 05-19-2015 | 10:47 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
I use to almost fall asleep driving DCT on my M3. It was fun at first then the novelty wore off. If you track the car I would recommend PDK for superior shifting, but on the road, it gets boring. Also to be uber fast you don't even need to shift and just put it in drive and mash the pedal. Hence automatic. I made sure my next car was a manual after having a dual clutch.
I think you fell asleep because the BMW compared to the turbo is just a slow and boring car lol.
Old 05-19-2015 | 11:02 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Like my PDK, but loved the manual and miss it terribly. I bought it mainly as a track / drag racer so the PDK was a must for me, but when I drive the backroads I'm bored by it.
Old 05-19-2015 | 01:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
That's a good way to put it, "the novelty wears off".
Old 05-19-2015 | 10:17 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I was at a Porsche sponsored test drive today at Kentucky Speedway, and every car had PDK. They wanted us to drive in automatic mode at all times.

I asked one of the instructors if that's what he drove it in, and he said his lap times are not faster in manual mode, so he can go either way. He says that all of the instructors miss manuals though.
Old 05-19-2015 | 11:01 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

I went from an '08 manual C4S to a '10 turbo PDK. I loved tracking my C4S and did so heavily last year. I finally got the hang of heel toe and now have a new ride. I tracked my turbo a few weeks ago at a MayFast DE event and loved being able to focus on my braking points, apexes and track out points. Obviously I was much faster with the boost in power and the PDK but I feel that my track experience with the manual last year really helped me become a better driver overall.

As for the streets, traffic is not that big a problem where I live but so far I am enjoying the manual mode and sport in auto when I'm in a more relaxed mood. I went from an '06 M3 SMG with Dinan and competition package where I really missed a manual for a while. I'm hoping I won't get bored with the PDK like I did with the SMG of the M3. I guess time will tell but the track experience was awesome!

Quick Reply: I'm curious