Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light after center console replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015 | 07:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Default Airbag warning light after center console replacement

I replaced my center console today with a painted unit from www.bumperplugs.com (I'll post pics later when the lighting is better). It looks great, and I'm very happy with the outcome. Unfortunately, the "airbag deactivated" light crumbled into pieces when I tried to remove it to transfer it to the new console. I've already ordered a replacement, but I decided to go ahead and finish the console installation. I currently have the wiring and plug sticking through the hole in the console, waiting for the new light.

Is it possible that my airbag light is illuminated because this little light is missing in the console? I can't see why this would trigger an airbag warning light, but I also can't see anything else that would cause a problem. My plan at this point is to install the replacement light and hope this solves the airbag warning light issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2015 | 07:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Here are a couple of quick photos that I snapped of the console while the car is sitting in the garage:
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2015 | 08:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I replaced my center console today with a painted unit from www.bumperplugs.com (I'll post pics later when the lighting is better). It looks great, and I'm very happy with the outcome. Unfortunately, the "airbag deactivated" light crumbled into pieces when I tried to remove it to transfer it to the new console. I've already ordered a replacement, but I decided to go ahead and finish the console installation. I currently have the wiring and plug sticking through the hole in the console, waiting for the new light.

Is it possible that my airbag light is illuminated because this little light is missing in the console? I can't see why this would trigger an airbag warning light, but I also can't see anything else that would cause a problem. My plan at this point is to install the replacement light and hope this solves the airbag warning light issue.

Any thoughts?
Just as burnt out bulbs generate an error message, I'd guess that not having a light at the end of the airbag wiring would set off the light. Let us know once the replacement arrives.
Old 05-15-2015 | 10:42 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Looks great! Eric's stuff is great quality. This winter I'm going to have him paint my radio and heater surrounds.
Old 05-16-2015 | 12:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yes, I agree. The finish on the console is very nice. I'll post some photos in better light when I get the car outside in sunlight (if it ever stops raining and snowing here).
Old 05-22-2015 | 06:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I replaced the indicator light on the console today, and it works properly. Unfortunately, the airbag light is still illuminated. I don't have a Durametric tool, just a regular code reader. I connected that in an attempt to clear the code, but I had no luck. Is there any way to clear it without either a trip to the dealer or a Durametric tool?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2015 | 10:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I think it's a pwis dealer deal to turn off an airbag light. Looks good, did you go from a cf console to painted?
C
Old 05-25-2015 | 01:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks. My original console was the standard plastic part that was painted to match my interior. I added the new part to give my interior some contrast.
Old 05-26-2015 | 12:23 AM
elite1
Racer

Hi Dennis,

I recently swapped out my stock seat for race seats and had a similar error. I have the Durametric Pro. If you need an error code cleared for free, let me know by PM.

I'm not to far from you.
Old 05-26-2015 | 02:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

A black shift boot and black console lid would add to the contrast factor.
Looks great.
Old 05-27-2015 | 11:22 AM
MadScience
Racer

Some generic readers have an option to clear a read code, as well as one to clear all codes. The airbag warning usually takes the second one.
Old 05-27-2015 | 10:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
A black shift boot and black console lid would add to the contrast factor.
Looks great.
Cocoa Brown leather would probably look good too. That being said, I actually like the Sand Beige leather for the lid and shifter. To just installed new ones!
Old 05-28-2015 | 11:32 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elite1
Hi Dennis,

I recently swapped out my stock seat for race seats and had a similar error. I have the Durametric Pro. If you need an error code cleared for free, let me know by PM.

I'm not to far from you.
Thanks for the offer, but I've got to take the car to the mechanic next week anyway. I'll have it checked while it's there.
Old 05-29-2015 | 01:14 AM
elite1
Racer

Sounds great Dennis, Just a local Porsche guy with certain tools.

If you don't get this resolved, let me know.

BTW, I don't own a shop, just a Porsche "enthusiast" with a "Durametric Pro" cable.
Old 05-29-2015 | 02:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I really do appreciate the offer. If I didn't have to take the car to Prestige tomorrow, then I would have taken you up on it!

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light after center console replacement