Sponsored by:

997 Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts
Default 997 Extended warranty?

Hey Guys, As some of you know. I just purchased a 997T from a Porsche Dealership. It was not a CPO car but passed their inspection before they resold it to me.

car does not have a warranty currently and I am debating on getting an extended warranty.

Should I get one or should I pass?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't worry about it but, you may need to check into the prior fact on your car.

997's have a few common issues with them but, once fixed, its a tank.

I have replaced or restored the following,

1) tires
2) tune
3) clutch
4) spark plugs
5) springs / front control arms / lowering springs
6) Tires
7) Tires
8) Changed spark plugs
9) upgrade intercoolers
10) change tune

11)12)13)Etc.. Etc.

In reality, Just look into the gt2 master slave and coolant pipes. I assume your car is stock and only has 5,000 mi. on it.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by elite1
Don't worry about it but, you may need to check into the prior fact on your car.

997's have a few common issues with them but, once fixed, its a tank.

I have replaced or restored the following,

1) tires
2) tune
3) clutch
4) spark plugs
5) springs / front control arms / lowering springs
6) Tires
7) Tires
8) Changed spark plugs
9) upgrade intercoolers
10) change tune

11)12)13)Etc.. Etc.

In reality, Just look into the gt2 master slave and coolant pipes. I assume your car is stock and only has 5,000 mi. on it.
Thanks, Dealer checked out the car and everything was fine. My car is a 2007 and its bone stock with 30K miles on it.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:31 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice buy!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:19 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

So you guys think with an 07 and low miles its not worth the cost for a aftermarket warranty if he'll keep the miles low?

Here are the common mechanical failures that I've seen pop up on the forum:
Tire pressure sensors, clutch slave, coolant lines, water pump, coil packs, and tandem pack

If any of these go bad it might be worth the cost of the warranty in itself
Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I bought a Fidelity Platinum warranty when my OEM 4 year warranty was expiring, 5 year extended warranty. Cost (with major friendly dealer discount was under $3K). Well worth the peace of mind, and basically paid for itself with a water pump replacement a year or so ago. Obviously it is cost versus potential benefit but for what I paid it was a no brainer.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:11 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kotyk
So you guys think with an 07 and low miles its not worth the cost for a aftermarket warranty if he'll keep the miles low? Here are the common mechanical failures that I've seen pop up on the forum: Tire pressure sensors, clutch slave, coolant lines, water pump, coil packs, and tandem pack If any of these go bad it might be worth the cost of the warranty in itself
TPMS and clutch slaves aren't covered, both are considered wear items.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

How about the cam issues...or are we over that now. For a while it was the fear fest of the forum.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:44 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
How about the cam issues...or are we over that now. For a while it was the fear fest of the forum.
Still very likely by its design, but some have had luck ignoring it and it going away and not coming back.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:39 PM
dff22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 6 yr Fidelity Platinum warranty. You would be wise to shop around because prices are all over the map. Do a search on this and you will see a number of posts concerning which dealers have the best prices. I called all of them and got the best price by far from a non- Porsche dealer. I have a 2009 turbo cab with 20,000 miles on it that just came off cpo. While at the dealer a week ago and before cpo ran out I had tire pressure monitors replaced under warranty. Also did major 6 year service including plugs, break flush, awd fluid change, belt replaced, oil change, etc...not cheap, but these items (other than yearly oil change) had never been done. Also had them check clutch and rear wing which checked out fine. I have not had any issues with car. The yearly cost of the fidelity warranty was cheap insurance for a major item to go wrong in the next 6 years as I have no intention of selling the car. Cost will vary with age and mileage of car. Also, a dealer in Long Beach informed me that fidelity had changed the verbiage in the warranty and clutch slave was now included ( not standard clutch replacement as that is considered wear and tear). Curious going forward to see if anyone tries to collect on that.

Again, caveat emptor on the pricing. You can easily pay 2-3k more than you need to. Shop around

FPD
Old 05-05-2015, 04:41 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dff22
I just purchased a 6 yr Fidelity Platinum warranty. You would be wise to shop around because prices are all over the map. Do a search on this and you will see a number of posts concerning which dealers have the best prices. I called all of them and got the best price by far from a non- Porsche dealer. I have a 2009 turbo cab with 20,000 miles on it that just came off cpo. While at the dealer a week ago and before cpo ran out I had tire pressure monitors replaced under warranty. Also did major 6 year service including plugs, break flush, awd fluid change, belt replaced, oil change, etc...not cheap, but these items (other than yearly oil change) had never been done. Also had them check clutch and rear wing which checked out fine. I have not had any issues with car. The yearly cost of the fidelity warranty was cheap insurance for a major item to go wrong in the next 6 years as I have no intention of selling the car. Cost will vary with age and mileage of car. Also, a dealer in Long Beach informed me that fidelity had changed the verbiage in the warranty and clutch slave was now included ( not standard clutch replacement as that is considered wear and tear). Curious going forward to see if anyone tries to collect on that.

Again, caveat emptor on the pricing. You can easily pay 2-3k more than you need to. Shop around

FPD
After all the shopping around you did, do you mind sharing the dealer that had the best price? I think most of us would appreciate the help, if not please PM me. Thank you
Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM
turbofever
Banned

whats odd is that Porsche dealers were the cheapest for me.

that said there was a delta of $600 between them

I went with the gold plus package, the platinum was just too expensive

I paid $4300 for 6 years 60k miles.

my car is a 2009 turbo, 34k miles.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:49 PM
dff22
Track Day

I paid over $1000 less for 6 yr platinum with $250 deductible! but my car only has 20k miles. Feel free to pm me as I am not sure dealer would like me to advertise this but am happy to refer him to other rennlisters. Btw, I got his name from another post either here or on 6 speed. I called all the dealers folks mentioned....sunset Porsche, circle Porsche, Porsche dealer in Springfield, Massachusetts etc...they were all very responsive but ended up being at least $700 higher. Again deductible level and most importantly mileage are the key determinents of price. I believe cost starts to really escalate on platinum above 25000 miles. When you are paying a little over $500 per yr for insurance against potential huge service costs, I would take that trade. Maybe I'm wrong but gotta believe something is going to go which will be fairly expensive to fix in the next 6 years. Car has been bullet proof to this point. No mods except for europipe exhaust, stealth v1/blinder install, and 3m film
Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 PM
turbofever
Banned

Originally Posted by dff22
I paid over $1000 less for 6 yr platinum with $250 deductible! but my car only has 20k miles. Feel free to pm me as I am not sure dealer would like me to advertise this but am happy to refer him to other rennlisters. Btw, I got his name from another post either here or on 6 speed. I called all the dealers folks mentioned....sunset Porsche, circle Porsche, Porsche dealer in Springfield, Massachusetts etc...they were all very responsive but ended up being at least $700 higher. Again deductible level and most importantly mileage are the key determinents of price. I believe cost starts to really escalate on platinum above 25000 miles. When you are paying a little over $500 per yr for insurance against potential huge service costs, I would take that trade. Maybe I'm wrong but gotta believe something is going to go which will be fairly expensive to fix in the next 6 years. Car has been bullet proof to this point. No mods except for europipe exhaust, stealth v1/blinder install, and 3m film
My deductible is $250 Did you get 6 years 60k miles covered?

One major repair and you are breaking even - coolant fitting for example or rms leaks
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used preferred warranty, 24mo, 30k miles, total drivetrain, $1900, 100$ deductible, any shop.

Quick Reply: 997 Extended warranty?