Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:31 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
That's also why you pay $350 for an alignment not $200 from a dealer.
No that's why you get the alignment spec from someone else who had a reputable tuner do it, then you give them the specs and have your dealer do it for cheap.
Old 04-30-2015 | 09:35 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jem7v
I want to be able to do both. So I need that happy medium. This is a turbo after all, straight line is where it's at.

And because this is a DD, wearing out the tires is my biggest concern.
You seem to be in constant search for a unicorn. Give me alignment specs for better handling, but I don't really want to increase tire wear. Or, I'd like to do some suspension mods to improve looks and handling but I want no increase in firmness or ride harshness.

The Turbo is a sports car for heavens sake, and it's about more than straight line speed. If you just want a fast car with a nice ride perhaps this would have been a better choice.......

Over 700hp and I hear they ride really nice.....

Old 04-30-2015 | 09:40 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S
You seem to be in constant search for a unicorn. Give me alignment specs for better handling, but I don't really want to increase tire wear. Or, I'd like to do some suspension mods to improve looks and handling but I want no increase in firmness or ride harshness.

The Turbo is a sports car for heavens sake, and it's about more than straight line speed. If you just want a fast car with a nice ride perhaps this would have been a better choice.......

Agreed (again). Although I'm wondering if we are being trolled (quite well though).
Old 04-30-2015 | 09:44 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

No that's why you get the alignment spec from someone else who had a reputable tuner do it, then you give them the specs and have your dealer do it for cheap.
Right. Because that's exactly the kind of reputation you want.
Old 04-30-2015 | 11:06 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S

No, not a unicorn. I just modified my last cars too much to the point they became not enjoyable anymore. I don't want that to happen again.

I clearly said I could live with some increased tire wear. I even gave an example of how much. If my tires wear out 1000 miles sooner, then it's whatever. But the point I am making is people are saying -1.2-1.6 camber will not cause any increased tire wear. I'm trying to find out if that is the reality.

As far as suspension, I found my unicorn set up. TPC DSC, BBI sway bar package (consist of GT2 rear GT3 RS front), and BBI LCA. Boom, done, perfect DD turbo.

Let's not forget lightweight wheels with MPSS tires too. Oh, and the cobb tune to tie it all together

Just trying to find now the unicorn alignment set up. I'm a firm believer if you are going to mod the car, do it right, or don't do it at all. So many people take expensive cars and destroy them because they don't put in the effort to do it right.

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Agreed (again). Although I'm wondering if we are being trolled (quite well though).
Maybe.....you probably shouldn't read my threads anymore then. Only advice I can give you.

I don't need a hellcat, I already had 2 american muscle cars, that was enough.

Right. Because that's exactly the kind of reputation you want.
How is that different from anyone else? Someone has their tuner (whoever that tuner may be) set the car's alignment, then said person comes on here and talks about and tells people what the spec are (and even some go so far to put the spec sheet on here).

I think you are then missing the point of a forum.....If you want to be that person that pays $700 for an exhaust install that should be $400, or $350 for an alignment that should be $200 (since it takes less than 2 hours), then you have more money to burn than I do.
Old 04-30-2015 | 12:09 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

How is that different from anyone else? Someone has their tuner (whoever that tuner may be) set the car's alignment, then said person comes on here and talks about and tells people what the spec are (and even some go so far to put the spec sheet on here).

I think you are then missing the point of a forum.....If you want to be that person that pays $700 for an exhaust install that should be $400, or $350 for an alignment that should be $200 (since it takes less than 2 hours), then you have more money to burn than I do.

The point of the forum is to learn something. What multiple people are trying to tell you is that alignments are subjective and that there is no right and wrong answer. You have two choices: You can be a know-it-all and go into your dealer with settings you found on the internet that may not at all suit you or your driving tastes after you're done. OR you can go to an expert and talk to them and work through it together.

Sometimes there's a time and place to pay extra. Alignments are one of those times, IMO.
Old 04-30-2015 | 12:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Agree with Scott. That's why m reluctant to post spec sheets on line.
Old 04-30-2015 | 12:43 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

The point of the forum is to learn something. What multiple people are trying to tell you is that alignments are subjective and that there is no right and wrong answer. You have two choices: You can be a know-it-all and go into your dealer with settings you found on the internet that may not at all suit you or your driving tastes after you're done. OR you can go to an expert and talk to them and work through it together.

Sometimes there's a time and place to pay extra. Alignments are one of those times, IMO.
Yea this is true. Don't understand the know it all comment though. It seems though with this car there are 2 camps of alignment. Those who do the "GT3" alignment which I don't know what the specs on that are, and those who want extreme beyond -2 alignment for track driving.

I'm trying to get feedback from people on the former. Yea going into a tuner and working with them would be great, but different tuners contradict each other. That is the other problem....One says A alignment is good, and other says A alignment is wrong, do B alignment.

At the end of the day many of them are just trying to take your money.
Old 04-30-2015 | 12:55 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
So after 8 years and 36k miles I've never had my car aligned. The tires wear evenly and the car drives straight. Should I get an alignment or leave it alone?
After reading this post (and you might have read my experience of tyre wear) I decided to call my Porsche dealer for an alignment.

They placed me for the 21-th of May.
Cost: € 224
Time: Over 2 hours of labour
Old 04-30-2015 | 03:03 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Yea this is true. Don't understand the know it all comment though. It seems though with this car there are 2 camps of alignment. Those who do the "GT3" alignment which I don't know what the specs on that are, and those who want extreme beyond -2 alignment for track driving.

I'm trying to get feedback from people on the former. Yea going into a tuner and working with them would be great, but different tuners contradict each other. That is the other problem....One says A alignment is good, and other says A alignment is wrong, do B alignment.

At the end of the day many of them are just trying to take your money.
What are you talking about? Two camps? Some people run the GT3 alignment (I don't, and frankly I don't know anybody that does), and the other folks (most, and the ones I talk to) do an individual alignment based on their car, preference, weight, driving style, tires, etc... The two camps you talk about simply don't exist other than in your head.

Go to your Porsche dealership, talk to the master tech and do an alignment. There isn't a magic formula people keep a secret. And based on the driving you do you won't know the difference anyway. I talked about alignment a couple of days ago with my tech - he is also the head of the pit crew of a local racing team, does alignment, and corner balancing, and flat out told me that for my skill level (and occasional track) driving a vanilla square alignment will be such fine.

You are overthinking this. Big time.
Old 04-30-2015 | 03:12 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Bottom line is increased performance will come with increased tire wear. There's no way around it, you can however find a happy medium. Forget GT3 alignment specs there is not a cookie cutter solution. As others have said take it to a skilled person who can tune your car based on what your butt feels on the road.

I've had senior porsche techs align my car, I thought it was great until I had it realigned by a shop that runs Cup Cars.

You'll be surprised what can be done along with how much you'll pay. Good luck
Old 04-30-2015 | 03:14 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
What are you talking about? Two camps? Some people run the GT3 alignment (I don't, and frankly I don't know anybody that does), and the other folks (most, and the ones I talk to) do an individual alignment based on their car, preference, weight, driving style, tires, etc... The two camps you talk about simply don't exist other than in your head.

Go to your Porsche dealership, talk to the master tech and do an alignment. There isn't a magic formula people keep a secret. And based on the driving you do you won't know the difference anyway. I talked about alignment a couple of days ago with my tech - he is also the head of the pit crew of a local racing team, does alignment, and corner balancing, and flat out told me that for my skill level (and occasional track) driving a vanilla square alignment will be such fine.

You are overthinking this. Big time.
When I was searching past threads everyone says "do a GT3 alignment". There was a thread earlier even a month or so ago that people said do a GT3 alignment. Then on 6speed there are more people saying do a GT3 alignment.

I think even on my thread about springs and sway bars everyone said "these cars are transformed with a good alignment" which followed by GT3 alignment recommendations.

I don't really care to argue with you. The fact of the matter is, if there is one popular alignment that many people like, chances are that is the one to use. Like the DSC. Do you think it would be as popular if only 30% of people liked it? No, EVERYONE likes it, therefor there is a high probability it's good. Now if some tuner or race car driver says "oh I hate it", again probability are in favor of he doesn't know what he is talking about.

But you are derailing the thread as usual. I'm trying to figure out of the alignments within stock component capability, which offers the best handling, with the least amount of increased tire wear. If you would like to contribute great, otherwise, why are you wasting your time and mine?

So far the best post came from TTsurgeon. And I got another great post from someone on 6speed.
Old 04-30-2015 | 03:15 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eurotom
Bottom line is increased performance will come with increased tire wear. There's no way around it, you can however find a happy medium. Forget GT3 alignment specs there is not a cookie cutter solution. As others have said take it to a skilled person who can tune your car based on what your butt feels on the road.

I've had senior porsche techs align my car, I thought it was great until I had it realigned by a shop that runs Cup Cars.

You'll be surprised what can be done along with how much you'll pay. Good luck
Seems to be the case. I'll probably end up getting something from BBI or TPC then ultimately since I can't get much info here.
Old 04-30-2015 | 10:28 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

When I was searching past threads everyone says "do a GT3 alignment". There was a thread earlier even a month or so ago that people said do a GT3 alignment. Then on 6speed there are more people saying do a GT3 alignment.

I think even on my thread about springs and sway bars everyone said "these cars are transformed with a good alignment" which followed by GT3 alignment recommendations.

I don't really care to argue with you. The fact of the matter is, if there is one popular alignment that many people like, chances are that is the one to use. Like the DSC. Do you think it would be as popular if only 30% of people liked it? No, EVERYONE likes it, therefor there is a high probability it's good. Now if some tuner or race car driver says "oh I hate it", again probability are in favor of he doesn't know what he is talking about.

But you are derailing the thread as usual. I'm trying to figure out of the alignments within stock component capability, which offers the best handling, with the least amount of increased tire wear. If you would like to contribute great, otherwise, why are you wasting your time and mine?

So far the best post came from TTsurgeon. And I got another great post from someone on 6speed.
How did I derail this thread? Was the humor too much to handle? I shared my opinion on a public forum. Now, you might not like my opinion or disagree, but I fail to see how I derailed (no pun intended of course) your alignment thread.

As others pointed out already - your quest for (this is your quote) least amount of increased tire wear is borderline ridiculous. You either want max performance because you chase seconds on the track - you'll deal with increased tire wear - price of admission. Or you daily drive your car, probably not going 10/10, then there is no need to change from factory spec, and you won't have to stay up at night wondering when to order new tires. Didn't you also post just recently that you were excited that your MPG's improved with the new exhaust? Nothing wrong with that, but I fail to see what kind of car you want to have. Maybe a second daily driver is the answer? Just an idea....
Old 04-30-2015 | 11:23 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

When one refers to "a gt3" alignment, one is referring to the more aggressive oem stats, ie -1 front camber......meant as a generic starting point. When farnbacherloles used to set my car up, they never gave you a spec sheet or told you the specifics.fwiw
But yes, your over thinking this one.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Alignment