Let's talk Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I may post some alignment stats later if its ok with my chassis guy, they're protective of their secrets sometimes
Chris, I'm interested in seeing those.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Chris, I'm interested in seeing those.
+1000!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd probably go -.9 up front -1.9 rear for your needs
Old 04-29-2015, 12:49 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
I want to get better steering/handling for just aggressive street driving. I don't really track because I have PCCB. Maybe at some point I'll take this car once or twice just to see what it can do. But I am basically 100% street. So I want to get better handling and steering but no increased tire wear.

I am on the east cost in MD.
If TPC isn't that far away, maybe take a visit there, get an alignment and try out a DSC for yourself.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

TT, did you just post the receipe to the secret sauce!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:46 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
If TPC isn't that far away, maybe take a visit there, get an alignment and try out a DSC for yourself.
I'm 35-40 minute drive from TPC. I will get the DSC sometime this year. But I don't want to pay 350 for their alignment when I can pay 200 to my dealer.

What about the toe out? When people keep talking about increasing negative camber to like -2 or -1.5...whatever.. .they are specifying the rear correct? Can a stock turbo even get to -1.9? I thought with stock parts the max was like -1.2 or something?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jem7v
I want to get better steering/handling for just aggressive street driving. I don't really track because I have PCCB. Maybe at some point I'll take this car once or twice just to see what it can do. But I am basically 100% street. So I want to get better handling and steering but no increased tire wear.
I am on the east cost in MD.
With aggressive street driving, do you mean mostly hard accelerations or hard cornering (or both)?
When you favourite hard cornering you want more negative camber.
So you can lean more on the complete surface of the tire.

When it is just about hard accelerations, you want to keep the negative camber to a minimum (for the same reason, maximum surface with equal pressure).
When accelerating hard, the back of the car digs in and increases the negative camber. This speeds up the tyre wear on the inside.

Last summer, I wanted to drive from Amsterdam to Spain in one day. But the day I wanted to drive, I had a flat tyre (big screw), so I had to take the motorcycle.
After the vacation I changes both rear tyres and I was shocked of what I saw.
The outside and middle of the tyres looks very good with lots of thread.
The inside was complete gone, absolutely no tread left. I never looked underneath the car at the inside of my tyres.
They would have never lasted the 1500 km trip, so I was lucky that I had the flat.

In the Netherlands there are no good roads with many curves like in France or Spain. So I get my kicks mostly from accelerations.
I might benefit from an mild camber an toe in.

Last edited by Rogor; 04-29-2015 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogor
With aggressive street driving, do you mean mostly hard accelerations or hard cornering (or both)?
When you favourite hard cornering you want more negative camber.
So you can lean more on the complete surface of the tire.

When it is just about hard accelerations, you want to keep the negative camber to a minimum (for the same reason, maximum surface with equal pressure).
When accelerating hard, the back of the car digs in and increases the negative camber. This speeds up the tyre wear on the inside.

Last summer, I wanted to drive from Amsterdam to Spain in one day. But the day I wanted to drive, I had a flat tyre (big screw), so I had to take the motorcycle.
After the vacation I changes both rear tyres and I was shocked of what I saw.
The outside and middle of the tyres looks very good with lots of thread.
The inside was complete gone, absolutely no tread left. I never looked underneath the car at the inside of my tyres.
They would have never lasted the 1500 km trip, so I was lucky that I had the flat.

In the Netherlands there are no good roads with many curves like in France or Spain. So I get my kicks mostly from accelerations.
I might benefit from an mild camber an toe in.
I want to be able to do both. So I need that happy medium. This is a turbo after all, straight line is where it's at.

And because this is a DD, wearing out the tires is my biggest concern.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
TT, did you just post the receipe to the secret sauce!
That's not it.....

That's just some basic mild camber values.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

You keep coming back to wearing out tires being the biggest concern. If that's the case go for stock alignment specs.

This is one of those situations where you can't have both. More aggressive alignment specs to make it handle better are going to wear out the tires faster period.

Toe out on a street car is the silliest thing I've read lately. It will grab every imperfection in the road and dart all over the place with pavement inconsistencies if you have toe out.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
You keep coming back to wearing out tires being the biggest concern. If that's the case go for stock alignment specs.

This is one of those situations where you can't have both. More aggressive alignment specs to make it handle better are going to wear out the tires faster period.

Toe out on a street car is the silliest thing I've read lately. It will grab every imperfection in the road and dart all over the place with pavement inconsistencies if you have toe out.
This.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elite1
Jem7v, how would you like to use your cars setup? This is key to your question to some extent.
Originally Posted by jcnesq
OP, where are you located? There is a great guy in SoCal who is highly regarded (haven't used him and would have to dig for his info).
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

This is good info on the toe out. See, that's why I made this thread . But let me ask you this, why then do many people on the forums claim that a -1.2 camber value will not really increase tire wear?

For example if a tire is supposed to get 10k miles, and then we give it more negative camber and it gets 9.5k miles instead, thats ok.

What I don't want is like a tire that is supposed to get 10k miles but then gets 8k.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Re my secret sauce, I'll post it soon...
For the OP, I'd take the car to a reputable shop like tpc, tell them what your needs are and let them set the car up properly. It's really difficult to pluck numbers off the net then order what you want from a generic shop, that's destined for failure.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Re my secret sauce, I'll post it soon...
For the OP, I'd take the car to a reputable shop like tpc, tell them what your needs are and let them set the car up properly. It's really difficult to pluck numbers off the net then order what you want from a generic shop, that's destined for failure.
That's also why you pay $350 for an alignment not $200 from a dealer.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

So after 8 years and 36k miles I've never had my car aligned. The tires wear evenly and the car drives straight. Should I get an alignment or leave it alone?

Quick Reply: Let's talk Alignment