Sponsored by:

Removed my Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Removed my Clear Bra

Like everyone else I though it would be difficult to remove my clear bra that was turning opaque and showing its age. I was concerned I would some how damage the paint or ruin the clear coat. I was wrong-

I searched the internet and watched several videos. It's really quite simple. All I did was carefully pull and peel the clear bra film off which takes time but it also leaves some glue residue behind. I didn't use a heat gun as some have suggested so I don't know if that would have changed the outcome. One of the videos suggested spraying the glue with gasoline to remove it so I did. That works too. I also tried Goo B Gone but that seemed ineffective. Gas quickly softens the glue and I used a micro fiber towel to scrub it off. In some cases the glue was thick so another video suggested using an old plastic credit card as a scraper. I tried that too and it works. I rinsed the front end with soap and water and will wax it tomorrow.

Result, I didn't scratch my paint or damage my clear coat. It takes time and patience but it was worth it. Since my car is not a DD I don't think I'll clear bra it again.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Parts of mine are yellowing, especially the lower rockers. I may peel mine off at some point too. Thanks for the update on your experience.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:56 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I used a hair dryer to warm and it peeled off easily, then used Tar X to get the crusty line around where the edge had been. There wasn't any glue to remove.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Removed mine a couple years ago. It was turning yellow and spoiled the looks of the car. No regrets.
I think the clear bra is overhyped. Kind of like organic veggies.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:22 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Mine, (partial front only) was looking foggy. I just used some bug and tar cleaner and it came out good as new.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I'm on the fence about whether or not to get one. Was originally dead set on doing it, but have backed away from the idea since, like you, I don't use my as a daily driver. I was particularly concerned about the risk of paint damage upon removal, so it's comforting to hear that's less of an issue.

Quick Reply: Removed my Clear Bra