Sponsored by:

New to rennlist - Questions about first purchase of a 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015 | 05:43 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Default New to rennlist - Questions about first purchase of a 997.1 Turbo

Hi All,

As the title states I am new to Rennlist and the Porsche world. I decided that I wanted to pursue a 997.1 after having 3 MKIV Toyota Supra Turbos. I recently sold my last supra a week ago and feel its time to move onto bigger and better things.

I have done some research here on the board regarding 997.1 Turbos and everything about the car so far is great.

In my search of a 997.1 I know I will be doing a full pre purchase inspection at a Porsche dealer in SoCal or wherever I find the car.

Is there anything else I should know about purchasing a 997.1 Turbo? Any thing to look for or questions I should be asking the seller if it is private party?

Thanks in Advance!

-Dan
Old 03-27-2015 | 06:12 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

As you'll see in many threads, mine included, the main issue with these beasts is the coolant system. Unfortunately for some (really dumb!) reason Porsche decided to glue....yes, glue!... the coolant hose connections to the case. In time and especially if one tracks the car often, with the high heat cycles, this adhesive eventually fails resulting in a sudden catastrophic loss of coolant, which as you can guess, can be very dangerous not only to one's car but to all others behind you if you happen to be tracking the car at that time. The solution to this is to have the coolant hose connections either "pinned" or TIG welded. Do a search on this and you'll learn more. So, in closing, ask the previous owner if this issue has been addressed or not. If not you'll need to have that done. Mine is going into the shop in early April to have the work done.

Otherwise they are great machines....enjoy!
Old 03-27-2015 | 06:15 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...eak-issue.html

Here's my post!

Cheers!

Alex
Old 03-28-2015 | 04:22 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alex, I did see your post about the issue and will be sure to ask the owner/dealer that I am buying from about it.

Quick Reply: New to rennlist - Questions about first purchase of a 997.1 Turbo