Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic brake pads???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:57 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine have stopped the horrible squealing, but still do, even a little is unacceptable to me. I called the manufacturer they said they produce a lot of dust while breaking in, then should drop off. Time will tell.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

how are the hawk ceramics on braking performance and initial bite?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just providing feed back on my experience with Hawk HPS and ceramics on a 6 piston caliper on a previous car. I find the HPS better for street and found the ceramics not as grabby at first until it heats up a bit. Minimum dust but it's like light gray on both pad types. Neither squealed but there was a difference in initial bite which I preferred the HPS which I may go next

Last edited by estrellajon; 04-28-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 AM
turbo'ed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Mine have stopped the horrible squealing, but still do, even a little is unacceptable to me. I called the manufacturer they said they produce a lot of dust while breaking in, then should drop off. Time will tell.
Zero sequel from my cool carbon ceramic brakes. The shop installing them (Certified Porsche tech) said squeal can come from rotor/pad contact, but also chatter from pad back plate and piston contact. When they installed my pads they used the stock absorber/silencers (?) on the new setup bw the pads/pistons - if that makes any sense, didn't think much of it at the time...

Initial bite still not as good as stock pads, but once warmed up, much better. Dust is still minimal.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Mine has pretty much stopped squealing, I think it was an issue bedding with the somewhat worn rear rotors (within spec).
Old 05-11-2016, 06:41 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone willing to provide a performance update on the Hawk Ceramic pads used on steel rotors for street use?
Bite? Squeal? Dust? Compare to OEM?
Thanks.
-Cam
Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't gotten around to installing mine yet but I will post when I do. I know a few guys have and no major complaints yet.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:37 AM
turbo'ed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Any updates folks? My cool carbon has a slight sequel when warmed up, dust is still lower than stock, but performance is not as good. Keeping them on for now, but will probably go stock next time unless I hear better feedback from the hawk ceramics.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

My cool carbons ain't so cool, still squeal when hot, less dust than stock.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Brian930
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Anyone willing to provide a performance update on the Hawk Ceramic pads used on steel rotors for street use?
Bite? Squeal? Dust? Compare to OEM?
Thanks.
-Cam
I installed the Hawk Ceramic pads on used OEM steel rotors about a month/2000miles ago. I have not had any squeal since bed-in stops... Completely silent.

As far as dust I would say huge improvement over OEM pads. Maybe 1/10 as much and it is a light grey color. With stock pads I needed to clean the wheels every day, filthy! Now after 2-3 days when I clean then they are still looking presentable.

Initial bite AFTER bedding-in is close to OEM. I did meticulously scrub the rotors with maroon scotchbite and Dawn dish soap solution/rinsed with water(no brake cleaner, have heard can cause squeal) during install to remove the old pad material and followed Hawks recommended bed procedure.

Personally, I will install them again without question... Overall very little trade off from OEM. Hope it helps!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:34 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian930
I installed the Hawk Ceramic pads on used OEM steel rotors about a month/2000miles ago. I have not had any squeal since bed-in stops... Completely silent.

As far as dust I would say huge improvement over OEM pads. Maybe 1/10 as much and it is a light grey color. With stock pads I needed to clean the wheels every day, filthy! Now after 2-3 days when I clean then they are still looking presentable.

Initial bite AFTER bedding-in is close to OEM. I did meticulously scrub the rotors with maroon scotchbite and Dawn dish soap solution/rinsed with water(no brake cleaner, have heard can cause squeal) during install to remove the old pad material and followed Hawks recommended bed procedure.

Personally, I will install them again without question... Overall very little trade off from OEM. Hope it helps!
Great feedback, thanks! Looking to place an order for these front & rear, where are people buying the front & rear sets? I'd rather order both from same vendor if possible.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:51 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian930

Initial bite AFTER bedding-in is close to OEM. I did meticulously scrub the rotors with maroon scotchbite and Dawn dish (soap solution/rinsed with water(no brake cleaner, have heard can cause squeal) during install to remove the old pad material and followed Hawks recommended bed procedure.

My experience has been similar to yours.
I bought my pads at Bestbrakes.com (no affiliation)
Old 07-02-2016, 06:19 PM
The Defector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very happy with the Hawk ceramic pads NO noise, MINIMAL dust, stop so well lost a filling in my teeth.
JC

BTW cstyles ur car looks like mine!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:26 AM
coquitlam1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does Hawk HPS produce more dust than Hawk Ceramic?
And does HPS have better initial bit than Ceramic?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm glad so many of us are enjoying these pads. it makes me feel good for riding Hawk's like sea biscuit for over a year.

i hounded them on twitter, the production manager, the support team and anyone else i could call or email. they ended up giving me a 50% coupon code and i told them i would have paid 150% to get the front pads done. In the end, they made us these low dust, low noise pads that i absolutely love. After 18 months they ended up giving me the first pair to try out.

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads???