Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
It doesn't appear you read the thread very closely. You are correct that the 991 models (most notably the GT3) have an improved version of the pdk. However those improvements don't address what many in the thread complain about, namely a reduction of driver involvement.

Perhaps such "involvement" is why Porsche is reportedly considering bringing back a manual option for the upcoming GT3 RS.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...-with-a-stick/
I read it and the comments were from 997 PDK driving experiences. Didn't read where anyone had driven a 991gt3 or TT and was reporting a negative PDK boring experience.

With Gt3/Gt2, save the omission of a heavy and rather tiresome clutch pedal, where is the involvement lost exactly? The car is so much more competent and enjoyable to exploit. Have you driven a new GT3...or TTS?

That is all just talk at this stage, but doesn't make sense why Porshe would want to make their atmo GT3 cars less competent against cheaper japanese competition (GTR etc). Maybe they will offset a loss of competence by having more HP but then the same offering with a PDK will only be better/ more competant again. Sooo.

Originally Posted by neanicu
I've driven PDK and was not impressed. I haven't driven PDK-S,but it's just faster. I've passed an allocation for the 991 GT3. I'm sure I'd like it on the track,since I'm not a good driver and can barely shift properly. But on the street it's a different story...Then again,I'm a luddite when it comes to cars...I'm thinking about going back to manual windows and manual steering...
In what 991 car?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
In what 991 car?
991 C2S.

But you won't convince me even if I try a GT3 or TTS. I'm very stubborn and crazy. They'll have to pry the manual gear lever from my dead cold hands. So,don't waste your time with me,I'm just basically here to raise my posts count.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

991 C2S.

But you won't convince me even if I try a GT3 or TTS. I'm very stubborn and crazy. They'll have to pry the manual gear lever from my dead cold hands. So,don't waste your time with me,I'm just basically here to raise my posts count.
Not looking to convince you or anyone... I'm done with that a while ago. So long as Im happy I'm right. But I will say that as a Porsche manual fanatic and heel toe addict for many many years I am finding myself having to eat my own words re saying no PDK and PDK will be boring after a while blah blah blah etc. Most of what you read is on .2 997 which is such a different car, different pdkbox in the way it operates and all comes together as a drivers package. No comparison really. The improvements in 991 are outstanding.

Fwiw I found the 991c2s a nicer car in manual even though the pdk was really good, whereas I can honestly say even if they offered the new turbo in manual I would get the PDK as it is just so much better suited to the car and performance package. GT3 well that one is a compelling drive in PDK for sure but tbh I would take a TTS over a GT3 any day of the week if not purely due the to the type of use. Then there is no substitute for the tt power... Sound is now pretty awesome as well. Both are awesome cars...cant go wrong.

Post count is looking good too
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey could be worse we could talk about the best exhaust for a TT. +1 to my post count and +1 to my vodka rocks
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I read it and the comments were from 997 PDK driving experiences.
Sure there were complaints about some aspects of pdk that have been improved in the later iterations. There were also comments that have nothing to do with the limitations of earlier pdk's.

Namely driver involvement....

For some, it's not about making "it" shift even faster, harder, blip better, creep or not creep vs earlier pdk's. It is about the joy of doing something for yourself rather than having it done for you even if you cannot possible do it as quickly or precisely.

Frankly, Porsche could have avoided much of the problem had they simply chosen to continue to offer both manual and PDK options in cars such as the GT3 and Turbo.

Finally yes, I've driven both a 991 C2 and Turbo (as well as other Porsche's) in PDK. That being said I reject your apparent notion that one need drive the most advanced PDK or not be able to comment on the system. While the later versions are certainly improved I think even Porsche's early PDK's are pretty darn good at what they do. Is the pdk better in the newer cars yes, and I have no doubt that future pdk's will be even better still. What they will always lack is the simple joy of accomplishment one derives from a well executed heal/toe downshift that one accomplishes all by themselves.

The pdk can shift more quickly and precisely than I can ever hope to. If I were racing professionally I'd choose one over a manual because it's faster, period. Here's the rub, I'm not a professional and my car will see far more use on the street than the track. For that usage, I find a manual to be far more involving and it seems many Porsche enthusiasts feel similarly.

My frank suggestion to Porsche would be to continue to offer their customers a choice so they can continue to satisfy both folks like me and folks like you.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I am not eating the PDK dog food. Get me a slow manual, that's ok.

Last edited by Igooz; 01-24-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I have been driving a paddle shift car for 3 years
This past fall I sold it for a GT2
After having a paddle car and than going back to a 3 pedal and stick I am where I belong
It's always going to be a personal decision but the driving experience to me is much more enjoyable using my feet and hands
Just my 02
Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven a PDK Cayman S. Only on a dealer test drive. I really loved it. Shifting was phenomenal. Very cool gearbox. Much better than anything BMW has to offer. But much like some of the manual guys in here. It's all personal decision and I can't get over the joy of rowing gears and feeling the clutch with my foot. You are in complete control. And well i guess when driving... I'm a control freak
Old 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

It cracks me up that we still argue over this topic. it is 100% personal preference, but most in the PDK camp (Tom excluded) feel that "latest and greatest" technology = "better" for everyone LOL!

btw soon enough we will have fully autonomous Google AI that will drive these cars faster, harder and more precisely than any one here, and we'll essentially just be passengers. So if you extend the "PDK-auto argument" to its natural conclusion, then autonomous cars are the future and anyone wanting to drive a car themselves will be a living dinosaur. I'm sure many of the PDK guys today will shun the autonomous 911 Turbo of the future and only "drive it in manual mode" LOL, but for some reason they feel righteous mocking the 3-pedal guys today LMFAO!!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
It cracks me up that we still argue over this topic. it is 100% personal preference, but most in the PDK camp (Tom excluded) feel that "latest and greatest" technology = "better" for everyone LOL!
Exactly my point. Some folks will always prefer the manual, others the pdk. There really is no "right" choice.

It's amusing to watch some make "I'm right and you must agree with me" style arguments for something that really comes down to a personal preference. There are really plenty of good reasons to prefer either transmission over the other.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:51 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I drove a pdk cayman for a day while my car was in service. Previously I'd driven a GTR for a few days.
After five minutes in both I just left it in auto. Don't really get the point of flipping paddles around when the car can do it much better on its own. Hence, it was like driving an automatic. Kind of felt like a kid playing video games flipping these paddles around, acting like a race car driver...especially on an upshift.
I wonder what percentage of the time pdk cars spend in automatic. I would think most of the time. I would think many that drive them across the Porsche range can't even drive a stick.
Faster isn't always better but its all personal preference.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom, If I were you I would keep the TT as n investment and get a GT3 to drive.. Have any of you noticed the values of what a few years ago were bargain Porsches? I have a friend who collects cars and he just bought the last generation air cooled C4s. The car has 50k miles and he gladly paid 80k.

A girl that works at my indie bought a 964 2 years ago for 22k. Now she could get 32. And you all know what the 993 TT is going for..

In 2011 I could have bought a GT3 RS from my dealer with 7k miles on it for 98k. The new 2010 GT3 had just come out and pushed down the prices of the 07's. I kick myself for not buying it.. I had the money but no place to put it.

In my opinion the new high tech cars will not hold their value unless it's a Ferrari with no miles.

So as awesome as the new generation Porsches are the old school 5 and 6 speed MT Porsche is a thing of the past. And they are going to be very desirable for the most part. Porsche will never make cars like that again.

Obviously some models will be much more desirable than others. I'm just making a broad observation

All you have to do is look at the depreciation on the used 991 Turbo already. Amazing car but will depreciate rapidly.

The 2007 GT3 and 2010 GT3 are now the same price (or more) than the new 991 GT3. Is the new GT3 a better car? Faster? Handles better? Of course! But in the car world it's not that "special" in the long run.

So Tom. Get the new GT3. Keep the Turbo and make up some unbelievable story for your wife of the logic and decision to do so.

As far as MT vs PDK.. You can't compare the two.. Like many here said it's whatever you like.

But Tom if you get a GT3, Please please please DRIVE IT!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I think a win-win situation is to be able to have a bunch of flavors : air cooled,997 RS,991 GT3,a double clutch Ferrari,McLaren whatever...
The discussion about choosing manual over pdk or the other way around is for those of us that can only have one. If you can have'em all more power to you,you are a lucky guy/gal!
I have more than I can afford,between the 997 GTS,the 996 Turbo and the E46 M3,I barely get to drive them all. At this moment I wouldn't replace any for an automatic. If I replaced one it would be for something even more raw and exciting,like air cooled or a 997 RS(if prices weren't so crazy). But if I were loaded($$$) and had plenty of time on my hands I'd probably have 10 cars and one or more would most likely be automatic(and here I'm talking sport cars not SUVs and sedans).
Old 01-24-2015, 08:17 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

I think a win-win situation is to be able to have a bunch of flavors
Most prudent statement so far. I'll add a dual clutch lambo or Ferrari but only because they're not available in a manual. And only as a 2nd or 3rd toy. Right now my 911TT and Backdraft Cobra are both manuals so that itch is scratched. But I couldn't have a dual clutch as my only toy, would miss the manual too much. Ok now I need a 4 car garage, dammit LOL!!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
I need to find some fellow porsche/turbo guys in NJ...you guys have all the fun out west.
there's plenty of us, but we are in north jersey for the most part.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Experience