Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom

@ Speed21 - Not entirely ready to let go yet but I have not been this impressed by a car since my first car which was a 4.0L Jeep Wrangler Not sure how PDK in a TT compares to that of the PDK-S in the GT3, but I'm sold on the technology. It needs to be mated to a high revving engine in order to extract its capabilities. Can you imagine the amount of overrev threads we'd see otherwise? One would have to shift at 5k in order to prevent it.
Just as sensational if not more when you experience the unrelenting power rush. The PDK box is so incredibly well matched. Flawless. The whole package is so well put together as a car. I've never driven a Porsche out of the box, that ticks all the boxes.. It's mad yet so exploitable. First drive is the start of it Tom. Now, it's only a matter of time for you. Be careful of your next drive. If cost is an issue, which it always is lets face it, then best stay away is my best advice.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Just as sensational if not more when you experience the unrelenting power rush. The PDK box is so incredibly well matched. Flawless. The whole package is so well put together as a car. I've never driven a Porsche out of the box, that ticks all the boxes.. It's mad yet so exploitable. First drive is the start of it Tom. Now, it's only a matter of time for you. Be careful of your next drive. If cost is an issue, which it always is lets face it, then best stay away is my best advice.
Agree Pdk-s is an engineering marvel as much as I hate to admit it. I did not enjoy my ride home in the turbo however I do feel the mezger based cars will always be special.

Not sure where to go next other than looking for cars with buckets and in white. Be careful? I already made the mistake it's too late.

It's clear of my desire to move to a GT/NA Porsche but what I still need to decide is if I can live without the 3rd pedal.

Next step test drive .2 RS.

Costs!!! Wife doesn't like 150k cars. I told her it's cheaper than another girlfriend so were in agreement.

Really I want Pdk so wife can drive it to yoga
Old 01-22-2015, 03:26 AM
speed21
Banned

Agree Pdk-s is an engineering marvel as much as I hate to admit it. I did not enjoy my ride home in the turbo however I do feel the mezger based cars will always be special.

Not sure where to go next other than looking for cars with buckets and in white. Be careful? I already made the mistake it's too late.

It's clear of my desire to move to a GT/NA Porsche but what I still need to decide is if I can live without the 3rd pedal.

Next step test drive .2 RS.

Costs!!! Wife doesn't like 150k cars. I told her it's cheaper than another girlfriend so were in agreement.

Really I want Pdk so wife can drive it to yoga
I do feel for your position. Oh how I agonised. Now re cost at 150 you are lucky man, put yourself in my shoe$ and tell me about it. Re the oldy, well I swear I was going to spare a thought for it, loved that car but never looked back since and that's a first for me after many now. Re wife, funny thing she bitched about not being able to drive the stick but now I have pdk she won't touch it, is too scared to drive it in case she kerbs the wheels or something. Women. I even insisted her she drive it but nope she won't have it. How good is that eh?
Tom good luck with .2 gt3 rs. That one will be hard to walk from too, that is if you can wait for it. If you don't get in one between now and then you might be OK....no guarantee on that tho hehe. Ooh the pain.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,

Good luck with your decision and I cannot comment on the GT3 compared to our 997.1 TT's as my dealer has had three white GT3's roll through lately and I tried to get a test drive but they knew I just wanted to beat on it and I would not trade my TT...I think they have one left?

However, I did own a 997.2 C4S PDK and I liked it very much...but not as much as I like my 6MT in my TT. I also owned a Lexus ISF which had the 8 speed auto and it was pretty cool...blipped the throttle on downshifts like the GT3 does.

But IMHO there is nothing like rowing the gears or downshifting/upshifting to control the revs, etc...with a 6MT. Like everyone else from reading all the reviewws, I am sure the PDK makes you quicker 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc...but then all you have to do is sit there and "enjoy" the ride. That's cool...but I may be wired differently but I like making my car perform...just my 2 cents and trust me I will be jealous if you get a GT3...keep us informed
Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom I too got to drive my friends 991 GT3. I was overwhelmed how awesome it was. It is the best looking and sounding Porsche to date.. I thought I would never want anything but another Turbo but I would be REAL REAL happy with a GT3.

As far as the PDK goes yes it's quite amazing. I'm not sure i would get bored with it.. Especially in the GT3 with that amazing sound. I love a MT but the future is double clutch automatics..

Good luck with your search for your next toy
Old 01-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Tom I too got to drive my friends 991 GT3. I was overwhelmed how awesome it was. It is the best looking and sounding Porsche to date.. I thought I would never want anything but another Turbo but I would be REAL REAL happy with a GT3.

As far as the PDK goes yes it's quite amazing. I'm not sure i would get bored with it.. Especially in the GT3 with that amazing sound. I love a MT but the future is double clutch automatics..

It took a while to get bored with mine. Granted it was BMW DCT, but after 2-3 years and re-adding the M roadster to my stable i was reminded how much i love manuals. Don't think i would ever go back... but the GT3 would test my MT loyalty because it seems like an unreal car.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

I do feel for your position. Oh how I agonised. Now re cost at 150 you are lucky man, put yourself in my shoe$ and tell me about it. Re the oldy, well I swear I was going to spare a thought for it, loved that car but never looked back since and that's a first for me after many now. Re wife, funny thing she bitched about not being able to drive the stick but now I have pdk she won't touch it, is too scared to drive it in case she kerbs the wheels or something. Women. I even insisted her she drive it but nope she won't have it. How good is that eh?
Tom good luck with .2 gt3 rs. That one will be hard to walk from too, that is if you can wait for it. If you don't get in one between now and then you might be OK....no guarantee on that tho hehe. Ooh the pain.
Yeah I knw 150 is a bargain from your standpoint, regarding the wife I was joking, plus she can drive a manual car. No she has not been behind the wheel of the turbo We'll see what happends to the market once Geneva is done.

Originally Posted by MY997
Tom,

Good luck with your decision and I cannot comment on the GT3 compared to our 997.1 TT's as my dealer has had three white GT3's roll through lately and I tried to get a test drive but they knew I just wanted to beat on it and I would not trade my TT...I think they have one left?

However, I did own a 997.2 C4S PDK and I liked it very much...but not as much as I like my 6MT in my TT. I also owned a Lexus ISF which had the 8 speed auto and it was pretty cool...blipped the throttle on downshifts like the GT3 does.

But IMHO there is nothing like rowing the gears or downshifting/upshifting to control the revs, etc...with a 6MT. Like everyone else from reading all the reviewws, I am sure the PDK makes you quicker 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc...but then all you have to do is sit there and "enjoy" the ride. That's cool...but I may be wired differently but I like making my car perform...just my 2 cents and trust me I will be jealous if you get a GT3...keep us informed
Agree with you completely I can't say I would get bored of PDK-S, time will tell.

Originally Posted by phillipj

Glad you feel the same, 2 weeks ago I convinced myself that my TT would pass down to my grandchildren, not so sure now

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
It took a while to get bored with mine. Granted it was BMW DCT, but after 2-3 years and re-adding the M roadster to my stable i was reminded how much i love manuals. Don't think i would ever go back... but the GT3 would test my MT loyalty because it seems like an unreal car.
You need to drive one you'll be impressed. Also there is more to the car than just the gearbox.

Two weeks from now I'll be out at Sonoma Raceway in one, we'll see how my view changes from there.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
I've driven M3 DCT hard on both road and track and you simply can't compare the M3DCT to any 991 PDK least of all a 991 GT3. Two different cars, two different boxes. Not to be compared. 991 GT3 as a package is brilliant. To get bored with that due to a PDK? Can't see it happening. Ever.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems that some fall out of love with pdk over time.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-with-pdk.html
Old 01-23-2015, 10:41 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray S

Thanks but this is just another typical PDK vs manual thread from a bunch of 997 owners who clearly have not yet experienced the latest PDK iterations in the 991 cars least of all GT3 or TT versions. If they were ever handed the keys of a new 991gt3 or TT to drive there would be some words being eaten there lol. Anyway....its getting the keys to do that though and you need to be seen as a serious buyer to get them. Porsche knows there is no need handing keys to car like this out to those not in the running. If you drive it you need to be in a position to buy it imo or you will be falling out of love with your 997, that would be more the truth to it.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks but this is just another typical PDK vs manual thread from a bunch of 997 owners who clearly have not yet experienced the latest PDK iterations in the 991 cars least of all GT3 or TT versions. If they were ever handed the keys of a new 991gt3 or TT to drive there would be some words being eaten there lol. Anyway....its getting the keys to do that though and you need to be seen as a serious buyer to get them. Porsche knows there is no need handing keys to car like this out to those not in the running. If you drive it you need to be in a position to buy it imo or you will be falling out of love with your 997, that would be more the truth to it.
It doesn't appear you read the thread very closely. You are correct that the 991 models (most notably the GT3) have an improved version of the pdk. However those improvements don't address what many in the thread complain about, namely a reduction of driver involvement.

Perhaps such "involvement" is why Porsche is reportedly considering bringing back a manual option for the upcoming GT3 RS.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...-with-a-stick/
Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I've driven PDK and was not impressed. I haven't driven PDK-S,but it's just faster. I've passed an allocation for the 991 GT3. I'm sure I'd like it on the track,since I'm not a good driver and can barely shift properly. But on the street it's a different story...Then again,I'm a luddite when it comes to cars...I'm thinking about going back to manual windows and manual steering...
Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
I've driven PDK and was not impressed. I haven't driven PDK-S,but it's just faster. I've passed an allocation for the 991 GT3. I'm sure I'd like it on the track,since I'm not a good driver and can barely shift properly. But on the street it's a different story...Then again,I'm a luddite when it comes to cars...I'm thinking about going back to manual windows and manual steering...
Haha and you have a great avatar !
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

Nice find, Ray; it's an engaging thread.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Haha and you have a great avatar !
Thank you.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Experience