Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing color of stitching

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014 | 12:43 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Default Changing color of stitching

Really wish previous owner when configuring this car finished the red and got the red deviated stitching. Does anyone know any shops in the md/dc/va area that can restitch the car in red?

No I don't want to do the marker thing that's all over the internet.
Old 12-07-2014 | 12:56 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Steering wheel or dash and seats?
Old 12-07-2014 | 01:54 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Steering wheel or dash and seats?
The whole car.
Old 12-07-2014 | 02:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

What's the marker thing? Is it something like using a red Sharpie to color the existing stitching? If so, then I can see why you wouldn't want to do that...
Old 12-07-2014 | 08:30 AM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
What's the marker thing? Is it something like using a red Sharpie to color the existing stitching? If so, then I can see why you wouldn't want to do that...
Yes...it is using a sharpie. Oddly, while tedious, it comes out great, and seems to last on the ones that did it. ??

My leather is black..and stitching is black (and car)...so not an issue for me thankfully.

DC
Old 12-07-2014 | 06:08 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

DO NOT USE A SHARPIE IN THE CAR!!! Good lord.
Enjoy what you have... it isn't worth changing. You'd be better off switching cars IMO.
Old 12-08-2014 | 01:53 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

+++++++997. ^^^^^^^^^

Sharpie definitely a bad idea on this beautiful car. I agree, enjoy her as she is, but....

I have seen seats for sale w leather and the red deviating stitching. Keep an eye out for these in the RL classifieds. Guys are ditching their stock seats for more race worthy products like Recaro when they more seriously track a 997.

There are also a couple of companies who make gorgeous leather parts for our Porsche interiors, any color, any stitching.
Old 12-08-2014 | 08:35 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bill8411
+++++++997. ^^^^^^^^^

Sharpie definitely a bad idea on this beautiful car. I agree, enjoy her as she is, but....

I have seen seats for sale w leather and the red deviating stitching. Keep an eye out for these in the RL classifieds. Guys are ditching their stock seats for more race worthy products like Recaro when they more seriously track a 997.

There are also a couple of companies who make gorgeous leather parts for our Porsche interiors, any color, any stitching.
Is the last part referring to techart? Yea I don't want to spend money to redo the leather just the stitching lol. But to my knowledge there is no place near me that does it, so I guess it's staying as it.
Old 12-08-2014 | 09:53 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Check out this:

http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/
Old 12-08-2014 | 11:05 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm....that is perfect. But way too expensive to do the inside of the car lol. It would be at least 2-4k just eyeballing the prices. But yes that would do the trick. Look simple to install for the dealer too. Probably if I keep my car longer than 4 years I'll look into this.

It shows all these parts as being completely replaced with core's sent back in so it may be good to do when they start showing wear. But I didn't see something for the seats.
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:45 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Right, nothing for the seats.

I'm sure some RListers could give us names of upholstery shops who would do a nice job of recovering or restitching the seats, I'd bet (no direct knowledge) that would cost a pretty penny.

You could also check w a dealer like Suncoast, who discounts Porsche part prices some, for new covers the way you want them. Price??!!!

Search old listings at RL and 6S, call or email even months old ads, perhaps seats they have never sold.

Or.....the dreaded sharpie!
Old 12-09-2014 | 08:36 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Ive gone down this road and then some.

Seats can be done by Exclusive Option as well. They are going to be doing my GT2 buckets and just replacing the gray stitching with yellow. They do more than whats on their site. I have had them do a lot of work for me, all with yellow stitching, some of which includes:

Upper defroster vents
Center speaker cover
Side dash speaker covers
Sport chrono pod
Mirror triangles
Dome light surround
Dash ends
Rear interior panels and speaker covers
E brake handle
E-brake assembly
Shift Boot
PCM Trim panels
seatbelt adjuster covers
door spears
door handles
door pulls
door pocket covers
floor matts (added yellow stitching around leather boarder).

Yes it isnt cheap, but you get what you pay for, and it is the closest match to OEM, in terms of leather texture/pattern, stitch length and color.

Here is my full interior build so far. This is a car i plan on keeping. Ive done all the removal and install work on all of this. These cars are not that hard to work on.

Interior:
Carbon Fiber:
Dash strip and trims
Instrument Cluster Surround
Steering Column
Piece above steering column and under instrument cluster
front consule
center consule
rear consule
gt3 name plate on rear carpet
Shift **** front
Shift **** cap with gear pattern in yellow
outer full length door sills
fuse box cover
seat belt opening
rectangle piece on front door panel
steering wheel center trim with airbag logo in yellow
light switch surround
ignition surround
e-brake button
e-brake back trim
Inner door sills
OEM carbon fiber dash vents with yellow stitching on the inner portion

Leather with Yellow stitching:
OEM Dash (removed my leather with gray stitching dash, and installed this)
Sport Chrono cover
Dome Light Surround
Dash End caps
door triangles
seat belt receptacle adjuster
side PCM trim panels
defroster vents
center speaker cover
door spears
door handles
top of door panel

Alcantara with Yellow Stitching:
shift boot
OEM 2010 GT3 RS steering wheel (made thicker) with yellow stripe at 12 o clock
OEM Porsche embossed arm rest with yellow stitching
ebrake handle with carbon insert and GT3 script
door pulls
door pocket covers

Other:
Yellow front Seat Belts
Alcantara Lower Dash
GT2 Carbon Bucket Seats
Satin Black Painted PCM stack

Last edited by bmwtye; 12-09-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2014 | 08:47 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

You could also check w a dealer like Suncoast, who discounts Porsche part prices some, for new covers the way you want them. Price??!!!
To get anything from Suncoast or the dealer that has to do with a colored deviated stitching, you have to provide a vin# of a car that came that way from the factory. And on top of that they wont be able to give you a price of how much it will cost. When order items as a "Special Wish" with Porsche, they will not provide pricing. They can provide you with a price that we "think" should be ok and collect this amount as a deposit. In the event the bill from Porsche ends up being more then the collected deposit, we would need to collect the balance. Because they would be a special wish, they would not be returnable under any circumstances. A good rule of thumb, would be to add 30% to the standard price for a Special Wish.

Also, it can take months to get it done depending on what the item is and how backed up they are. I inquired about covers with yellow stitching for my gt2 buckets and they told me 4-6 months to get, and cost $2340 per seat, based on what i mentioned above.
Old 12-09-2014 | 09:35 PM
96_993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Ive gone down this road and then some.

Ummm... Holy Crap that's nice! Doing the seats will be the icing on the cake. Well done sir!
Old 12-09-2014 | 11:06 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Ive gone down this road and then some. Seats can be done by Exclusive Option as well. They are going to be doing my GT2 buckets and just replacing the gray stitching with yellow. They do more than whats on their site. I have had them do a lot of work for me, all with yellow stitching, some of which includes: Upper defroster vents Center speaker cover Side dash speaker covers Sport chrono pod Mirror triangles Dome light surround Dash ends Rear interior panels and speaker covers E brake handle E-brake assembly Shift Boot PCM Trim panels seatbelt adjuster covers door spears door handles door pulls door pocket covers floor matts (added yellow stitching around leather boarder). Yes it isnt cheap, but you get what you pay for, and it is the closest match to OEM, in terms of leather texture/pattern, stitch length and color. Here is my full interior build so far. This is a car i plan on keeping. Ive done all the removal and install work on all of this. These cars are not that hard to work on. Interior: Carbon Fiber: Dash strip and trims Instrument Cluster Surround Steering Column Piece above steering column and under instrument cluster front consule center consule rear consule gt3 name plate on rear carpet Shift **** front Shift **** cap with gear pattern in yellow outer full length door sills fuse box cover seat belt opening rectangle piece on front door panel steering wheel center trim with airbag logo in yellow light switch surround ignition surround e-brake button e-brake back trim Inner door sills OEM carbon fiber dash vents with yellow stitching on the inner portion Leather with Yellow stitching: OEM Dash (removed my leather with gray stitching dash, and installed this) Sport Chrono cover Dome Light Surround Dash End caps door triangles seat belt receptacle adjuster side PCM trim panels defroster vents center speaker cover door spears door handles top of door panel Alcantara with Yellow Stitching: shift boot OEM 2010 GT3 RS steering wheel (made thicker) with yellow stripe at 12 o clock OEM Porsche embossed arm rest with yellow stitching ebrake handle with carbon insert and GT3 script door pulls door pocket covers Other: Yellow front Seat Belts Alcantara Lower Dash GT2 Carbon Bucket Seats Satin Black Painted PCM stack
Pm'd

Quick Reply: Changing color of stitching