"Spun" Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Yep a CEL is the tell tale sign.
Just the light...no other engine indications - rough idle, high rev stumbling, etc.?
Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Just the light...no other engine indications - rough idle, high rev stumbling, etc.?
I should qualify that. Once I got the CEL, read it on my tool and saw it was a variocam issue, I had a guess what it was. I didn't try to "test" the vehicle to see what symptoms it might have, honestly.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I should qualify that. Once I got the CEL, read it on my tool and saw it was a variocam issue, I had a guess what it was. I didn't try to "test" the vehicle to see what symptoms it might have, honestly.
Thanks - does anyone know what symptoms besides the light would indicate a problem?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so you had to drop the engine at your expense, then and only then Fidelity would look to confirm if they will cover the problem?

Just curious, what if you didn't drop the engine? Fidelity would deny coverage? and then you drive the car resulting in potentially far worse engine damage, which at the end of the day would come back to Fidelity to pay for a much bigger bill I guess.

I've got Fidelity too so I'm Just trying to understand the warranty claim process in more detail.

Thanks
Art
Old 12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
so you had to drop the engine at your expense, then and only then Fidelity would look to confirm if they will cover the problem?

Just curious, what if you didn't drop the engine? Fidelity would deny coverage? and then you drive the car resulting in potentially far worse engine damage, which at the end of the day would come back to Fidelity to pay for a much bigger bill I guess.

I've got Fidelity too so I'm Just trying to understand the warranty claim process in more detail.

Thanks
Art
Art,
I elected to have them drop the engine because it was an educated guess what the problem was from the head tech and Kevin. We knew that the solenoid itself was fine because we swapped it with a known good one and the code came back on.

The service manager suggested we pull it apart to confirm it because it makes dealing with 3rd party warranty companies go that much more quickly. Im sure you don't have to do that.

I'm glad I did though, because we can add a couple things in there like oil leaks that couldn't be spotted ahead of time.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Good news today, the adjuster from Fidelity came by and my dealer couldn't have been more complimentary about them. The service manager braced for a fight and got none. They were super about the whole thing and even authorized them to tear down the other side to check that camshaft as well. I couldn't be happier with Fidelity on this issue.

So, for those of you waiting to take the plunge on a policy, I would recommend them wholeheartedly. Evidently, their adjusters are usually ex-mechanics who are either retired or hurt on the jobs. Mine understood the problem, understood that Porsche rates aren't Chevy rates and made the whole thing very smooth.

Thumbs up!
The following users liked this post:
cavlino (01-25-2023)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:15 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good news today, the adjuster from Fidelity came by and my dealer couldn't have been more complimentary about them. The service manager braced for a fight and got none. They were super about the whole thing and even authorized them to tear down the other side to check that camshaft as well. I couldn't be happier with Fidelity on this issue.

So, for those of you waiting to take the plunge on a policy, I would recommend them wholeheartedly. Evidently, their adjusters are usually ex-mechanics who are either retired or hurt on the jobs. Mine understood the problem, understood that Porsche rates aren't Chevy rates and made the whole thing very smooth.

Thumbs up!
scott,

What about car rental. Did fidelity cover that?

Tomorrow is the last day of my CPO before i start using my FWS. i have to admit it is nice driving someone else's porsche
Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sidwin
scott,

What about car rental. Did fidelity cover that?

Tomorrow is the last day of my CPO before i start using my FWS. i have to admit it is nice driving someone else's porsche
Not sure on that one, honestly. The dealer offered me a loaner Infinity G25x and I'd rather just drive my souped up 335xi. If they would've offered a p-car loaner, I would've taken that obviously.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

How common is this an issue and is there any preventative thing that could be done and what would it cost?

Did they change the design at any point or is just the 07's?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:51 PM
sidwin
Pro

Not sure on that one, honestly. The dealer offered me a loaner Infinity G25x and I'd rather just drive my souped up 335xi. If they would've offered a p-car loaner, I would've taken that obviously.
scott,

where you on the throttle pretty hard when the CEL came on? or was it just driving around?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
How common is this an issue and is there any preventative thing that could be done and what would it cost?

Did they change the design at any point or is just the 07's?
Just like all issues with a car mfr, we will never know. A new camshaft looks just like the old one, and has the same part number. However that doesn't mean it isn't different.

I'm going to keep both of my old cams and have them pinned to prevent this from happening again.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

scott,

where you on the throttle pretty hard when the CEL came on? or was it just driving around?
Nope just morning commute type driving in traffic.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 AM
sidwin
Pro

how many miles scott?

anyone got pictures of the cams being pinned?
Old 12-17-2014, 11:29 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

how many miles scott?

anyone got pictures of the cams being pinned?
27k on my car and 31k on the car next to mine. I'll have pics after mine are done. Sending them to Kevin @ UMW for the machine work. Don't trust the local guys here.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine did the same at 35k. Thank God for CPO warranty. My car was down for 3 weeks waiting for parts from Germany during the Thanksgiving holiday slowed down the shipments.

Quick Reply: "Spun" Camshaft