Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleed 'n feed engine coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014 | 11:07 PM
crgf1k
Advanced

Default Bleed 'n feed engine coolant?

Hello all. My antifreeze isn't quite strong enough, and it's going to be extremely cold here (Ontario Canada) tonight....can someone help me with a procedure to drain out approximately a gallon of coolant so I can add a jug of antifreeze to lower the freezing point? Ideally I'd crack a drain valve or hose (near the front of the car would be ideal), and slowly top up the reservoir in the engine bay, then drive the car around for an hour to make sure it's mixed up well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2014 | 11:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Buy one of these :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131113596943?lpid=82

No affiliation.

You can test out the antifreeze concentration in your coolant. You might find out it's fine and what you're planning on doing could be overkill.

If not,you're going to need a very good evacuation and refill kit so you do not introduce air in the system,like this one :

http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MV4525.jpg

No affiliation.
Old 12-03-2014 | 08:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crgf1k
Hello all. My antifreeze isn't quite strong enough, and it's going to be extremely cold here (Ontario Canada) tonight....can someone help me with a procedure to drain out approximately a gallon of coolant so I can add a jug of antifreeze to lower the freezing point? Ideally I'd crack a drain valve or hose (near the front of the car would be ideal), and slowly top up the reservoir in the engine bay, then drive the car around for an hour to make sure it's mixed up well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How did you determine that your antifreeze isn't strong enough? Did you use a hydrometer?
Old 12-03-2014 | 03:07 PM
crgf1k
Advanced

Ya I used one of the cheap plasic ones and it was near the bottom of the range, and when I tested the Focus and Yaris, they were both around -40 degrees so I know the tester is working.
Old 12-03-2014 | 08:17 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

You should flush and refill at this point with proper coolant that not only protects you in the cold temperatures but also has the proper anti corrosion inhibitors and protects all the aluminum and ferrous surfaces it contacts.

Quick Reply: Bleed 'n feed engine coolant?