Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Managing your tune & Tuning shops in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Managing your tune & Tuning shops in NJ?

I have the Evolution Motorsports 580/600 tune and wanted to have a few things looked at. The spark plugs were changed around 11K miles when the tune was done and i'm at 28k miles and think it might be time for the plugs to be changed. Wasn't sure if I could go to a regular Porsche dealer to have them done or not since I believe higher end plugs were used for the tune.

Also just looking for recommendations on how to stay on top of maintenance with a tune as opposed to regular standard maintenance that is done at 30k and 40k etc. miles. Do any of you guys do anything different to make sure the engine is running tip top with the added power?

Also anyone have a good recommendation of a tuning shop in NJ?

Thx in advance.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:42 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

General guideline I've seen is change the plugs every ~25k miles with a tune.

You could always buy the plugs and take them to a porsche dealer to have it done but I'd look for a reputable indy shop around you instead.

My shop recommends changing the plugs and coil packs at the same time each time you need to do it. Plugs on this car are a labor intensive process and a lot harder access than the regular 997. Normally involves taking off the turbos.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo
General guideline I've seen is change the plugs every ~25k miles with a tune.

You could always buy the plugs and take them to a porsche dealer to have it done but I'd look for a reputable indy shop around you instead.

My shop recommends changing the plugs and coil packs at the same time each time you need to do it. Plugs on this car are a labor intensive process and a lot harder access than the regular 997. Normally involves taking off the turbos.
Gotcha, good to know. I know there is a standard 30k service, so with that coming up i wasn't sure if I needed it due to the plugs being changed at 11k. I've been trying to research what has to get done at around 30K miles.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Some of it will also depend on how your car is used. Its time as well as mileage. I have 27k miles on my car and the plugs were done at about 14k. That was about 4 years ago though so it was time based on age.

Quick Reply: Managing your tune & Tuning shops in NJ?