Sponsored by:

looking at a 2008 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM
911andchips
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default looking at a 2008 turbo

So I currently have a 2009 997.2 carrera. While very happy with the car getting an urge to move to a turbo.
Saw a 2008 turbo at Grand Prix motors in Portland.
Approx 22k miles and asking around 80K.
Is that a fair price ?
kbb doesn't seem to be very accurate when it comes to 911 prices.
http://www.grandprimotors.com/detail...-MTg1MQ==.html
Old 11-14-2014, 07:50 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought my 08 CAB a few months ago and it just came off CPO and has 42k miles, I paid less than 65k. The car has been pure joy. It's a highway rocket. I kind of miss buzzing around town, but when the torque keeps me pressed against the seat and never quits accelerating, I remembered why I bought another Turbo.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 973 Posts

I bought my 2008 TT cabriolet in August from a Porsche dealer, with a fresh CPO warranty and 30K miles on the odometer. I paid 72K for it.

I think timing impacts price and I think that there is some seasonality. Mine is a cabriolet and we were heading into colder weather, so that makes them harder to sell. Mine is also an unusual color which can be tough. My dealer wanted to move it and they priced it accordingly.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think timing impacts price and I think that there is some seasonality.
True...but there are other things that play into pricing and I know "Dennis C" knows this as he got a sweet deal...but for the OP...things like what has been recently done to the car for service, the DME report, etc...

And for the OP I recently made the leap as I owned a 2009 C4S and bought a 2009 TT 6MT. Actually I pick it up today...hopefully...as I am having a few things taken care of before delivery that I wanted done. BUT here is the kicker...if you have any doubts like can you really afford this move or do you currently have any points on your license, etc...then DON'T test drive a TT...because after that they can charge you what ever they want and you will pay it...seriously the TT is the "Real Deal"!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Paid $64k for '09 Cab earlier this year with 55k miles on it. I could get the car and an extended warranty much cheaper than I could get a CPO. I drove my '11 M3(which I absolutely loved) a few times after that and it seemed really average. 997TT's are absolutely amazing.

But rest assured, the rest of the world pays attention to KBB. When I checked a few month back, my local dealer offered me $48k as a trade in and Carmax offered me $50k outright. This was consistent with KBB. Your only chance of getting the premium these vehicles can bring is through consignment or selling on the open market.

Right now I've got mine priced as the cheapest '09 997TT on Rennlist or Autotrader in the US. But because of the miles (which don't truly add 15k in wear/depreciation) and color (which I love), it will most likely take 9 months to a year to sell. But that's 9 more months I get to drive it.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

2007-2009 TT for 65-75k is the deal train on these gems.

80k for the right car and miles.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 911andchips
So I currently have a 2009 997.2 carrera. While very happy with the car getting an urge to move to a turbo.
Is that a fair price ?
Fair has nothing to do with the price, so drop fair from your vocabulary when discussing car prices.

As a buyer I seek out price info that I can use to justify a lower offer.

I work on the assumption the seller (dealer in this case) has nothing more in the car than what its wholesale price is. Dealers tend to shy away from cars that need any work to bring the to s sellable condition, the dealer cherry picks cars it keeps on its lot to sell, so keep that in mind.

For a general depreciation curve, the car depreciates 10% from the dealer's cost the moment the car is driven off the lot as a new car. Then every year after, when next year's models arrive, the car drops another 10%.

A general rule of thumb is the mark up is 13%. So, say the car stickered for $150K. So the dealer's cost was $130,500. The car deprecated to $117450 the moment it left the lot.

The car is a 2008, so it probably was sold sometime late in 2007. So come the arrival of the 2009 models, in late 2008, the car lost another 10%. Then in 2009 another 10%, in 2010 another 10% and so on...

So now the car is by my thinking depreciated to around $56175.

(BTW, in 2009 I bought a low miles (~10K) 2003 Turbo that stickered for $120K for $57.7K, and with a 2 year, 100K miles CPO warranty, so these cars can experience some big depreciation.)

Quite a difference between the asking price and its (assumed) depreciated price, insn't it? Yes, but know this, that used cars are quite profitable. The markup can be 25% or more.

One can argue the curve described by the depreciation above is too steep, or possibly not steep enough. Market conditions can work to change this curve.

For instance, I do not know what discounts were available back when that car was sold new. Well, check that. When I was shopping for a 2008 Cayman S back in early 2009 dealers were not only discounting Caymans and Boxsters, but the 911 models as well. I was offered brand new Cabs for $30K under sticker with no haggling involved. I ended up buying a brand new 2008 Cayman S in April that while it was stickered for $62.6K was marked down to $50.6K with no haggling. That is the price the dealer had marked the car down to. I even got an above market trade in allowance on my 2006 GTO.

You can help yourself buy the car for less. Be armed with the knowledge of a number of similar cars around. I like to say shop globally but buy locally, so if you have to expand your area and "consider" cars some distance away do it.

Also, while you might not be caught dead in say a M-B, have some other brands of comparable cars, like M-Bs, BMWs, Audis, etc, on your "shopping" list and let the dealer know this.

You want to convey to the dealer you have a number of car options open to you.

The dealer must believe if he fails to seal a deal with you on this car, and you walk off the lot, you are going to buy another car, somewhere else, today. Thus he's not just postponed a sale by not making a sale, he's lost one to another seller.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by 911andchips
Is that a fair price ?
can't help you with pricing, but do currently own 997.2 2S and 997.1 Turbo, pm if you want to discuss my thoughts on differences

Quick Reply: looking at a 2008 turbo