Sponsored by:

TPC's magic PASM controller (DSC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
I do fair amount of AX with drag race like starts. I haven't noticed any degradation in rear traction when I drop the hammer - drag race like starts. I like idea of a map that assists with softening up setting under say 15-20 miles per hour. Now one thing I do notice is a little more power induced oversteer out of some slower turns compared to OEM controller but that may be more due to me using slightly narrower 295 tire compared to 305 OEM size in rear as I can only source 295 rear tire in RE71 R. I changed tires and DCS controller at same time. I didnt do well controlled observation. However across the board car handles better and my autocross times have improved since installing DCS controller last month. One thing I do notice when street driving is that DSC unit freaks out over slow speed bumps - nothing terrible but seems like it is doing something to rebound.

Your experience with low speed oscillations is to be expected. Aside from the ability to change each driving profile the DSC uses you need to also tune the threshold in which the controller begins to correct to, or use in each profile. In other words because it is a reactionary system you need to tune for a particular handling profile, either you want comfort or performance behavior. When you try to marry the two as you see the resolution to do both just isn't quite there. So it would matter if it is a low speed high amplitude or low speed low amplitude bump in order for you to properly adjust the DSC to your liking.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
Your experience with low speed oscillations is to be expected. Aside from the ability to change each driving profile the DSC uses you need to also tune the threshold in which the controller begins to correct to, or use in each profile. In other words because it is a reactionary system you need to tune for a particular handling profile, either you want comfort or performance behavior. When you try to marry the two as you see the resolution to do both just isn't quite there. So it would matter if it is a low speed high amplitude or low speed low amplitude bump in order for you to properly adjust the DSC to your liking.

I thought it was the PASM/Sport buttons job to figure if I want comfort or performance?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:18 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turboslut
I thought it was the PASM/Sport buttons job to figure if I want comfort or performance?
Our suspension is semi active, I would still argue its passive with adjustments. Where within each profile there is a range of adjustment the controller has available. The DSC controller is very similar to the OEM controller but with more options for adjustment.

Within each profile Normal / Sport, you are going to have trade offs based on what you program each mode to do. You should try to not combine comfort and sport too much. The modifiers for the g sensors and the % damping available to the shock can be set too "low" or you could have a scenario where the minimum threshold set for a change in force to occur can flip flop. Where a road condition oscillates above and below the threshold too quickly, or many times in succession which would cause "noise" and result in odd issues with the controller trying to fulfill the force change with not enough time to complete the change, or for you to feel the result before the next change.

So while it is not exactly PASM's job to make the decision, it being a computer does what you tell it to do. And so is the best and worst thing about computers....
Old 05-18-2019, 09:25 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I sure hope this is not that confusing on a 997.1. I’m in the process of returning my suspension back to OEM because I’m done with my lowered harsh suspension. I just bought a brand new DSC controller. All I ever heard about was this is the best mod anyone can do.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ble2011
I sure hope this is not that confusing on a 997.1. I’m in the process of returning my suspension back to OEM because I’m done with my lowered harsh suspension. I just bought a brand new DSC controller. All I ever heard about was this is the best mod anyone can do.

As I understand it TPC does a good job giving you a starting point that most people are happy with and choose not to change anything. It can be as plug and play (stock ish) or as involved as you want it to be within it's limits.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

It's not confusing at all man. Toggle on and off when needed in reg or sport mode. And mine stays on when in sport plus mode.

Here's a quote from TPC when I bought mine as to how it works (on or off). It explains it well.

Hello David,

Thank you for your inquiry.
DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock.
We only sell DSC units with the newest updates since we are the developer.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
Tom
Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

The 997.1 is simple. With the DSC installed, the Shock button works independently of the Sport button. Select either mode as you see needed.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

A 997.1 with a PDK? Please go on...
Old 05-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 09-09-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:42 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

He questioned about the 997.1 and I commented about the 997.1. Then you quoted my post about the 997.1 and started talking about the PDK. So I was just teasing you about a 997.1 and the PDK.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:23 PM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
I do fair amount of AX with drag race like starts. I haven't noticed any degradation in rear traction when I drop the hammer - drag race like starts. I like idea of a map that assists with softening up setting under say 15-20 miles per hour. Now one thing I do notice is a little more power induced oversteer out of some slower turns compared to OEM controller but that may be more due to me using slightly narrower 295 tire compared to 305 OEM size in rear as I can only source 295 rear tire in RE71 R. I changed tires and DCS controller at same time. I didnt do well controlled observation. However across the board car handles better and my autocross times have improved since installing DCS controller last month. One thing I do notice when street driving is that DSC unit freaks out over slow speed bumps - nothing terrible but seems like it is doing something to rebound.
Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
One would have to do a back-to-back test with consistent conditions(same tires, tire pressure, track surface condition, burn out technique, etc...) to verify the hurt...

We don't do too much drag racing but we have done a lot of autocrossing with standing starts. DSC has been working well on the standing start launches.
One DSC user has a 800+whp 997TT , he reported that with DSC installed right out of the box controlling OEM PASM shocks has eliminated all the wheel hop he was experiencing.
For highly modified engines and for avid drag racers the DSC can be tuned to have softer rear compression in the sector of the g-table shown below.

The area circled in Red is vertical g-force from launching(above 0.6g). The rear damping command is shown at 95%. For the avid drag racer wanting to improve 60-foot, the damping commands can be reduced to half that value. Remember guys, DSC is tune-able.

And may be I can convince the upper level management to create and offer an optional LNC(Launch Control) that soften the rear under 20mph for launching...
I've only ever been to one drag event up against a couple of 1500bhp + beasts.

Manual 2007 997.1 turbo with bolt ons (larger GT2 hybrid VTG turbos and Europipe 2). I have the dsc module
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2017-07-29 Best 60ft Times.pdf (21.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Exciting Things!! Can't wait!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Exciting Things!! Can't wait!

Great News Folks!!

TPC is introducing a new "Launch Control" feature to the DSC!! Have a look!

We can send in our units for an upgrade for a small fee (I'll let Tom or someone from TPC announce the pricing).

Mine's going in as soon as possible.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:11 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Great News Folks!!

TPC is introducing a new "Launch Control" feature to the DSC!! Have a look!

We can send in our units for an upgrade for a small fee (I'll let Tom or someone from TPC announce the pricing).

Mine's going in as soon as possible.
Not gonna lie, that's pretty sweet. Great use of the tech that's already in there. Interested in cost as well, I'll shoot Tom an email.

Quick Reply: TPC's magic PASM controller (DSC)