Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front grills to protect radiators for 997 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 06:58 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So a mesh covering improves airflow on a previously open unobstructed aperture by .02%. Laughable. Wow. Some people really are that gullible. The only point worthy of consideration is does the mesh negatively impact on the OEM's cooling system to a point of causing issues in high temp climates. It is clear to see that those cars which come with the mesh as standard equip have larger venting than those models without.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
So a mesh covering improves airflow on a previously open unobstructed aperture by .02%. Laughable. Wow. Some people really are that gullible. The only point worthy of consideration is does the mesh negatively impact on the OEM's cooling system to a point of causing issues in high temp climates. It is clear to see that those cars which come with the mesh as standard equip have larger venting than those models without.

I knew you would respond. ;-)

The question is you should maybe prove that IT decreases airflow otherwise you have nothing positive to offer on this thread apart from hear say.

Maybe if EP or Proto made the grills you would believe that there is no loss of airflow?

Just saying it is a quality product made by a quality supplier and they make for OEM who use this particular style of grill/mesh who have tested them thoroughly.

Have a little faith dude.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by GTRNICK
I knew you would respond.

The question is you should maybe prove that IT decreases airflow otherwise you have nothing positive to offer on this thread apart from hear say.

Maybe if EP or Proto made the grills you would believe that there is no loss of airflow?

Just saying it is a quality product made by a quality supplier and they make for OEM who use this particular style of grill/mesh who have tested them thoroughly.

Have a little faith dude.
Faith in what? That BS will prevail?

OK we get you want to sell these (same like the FVD stuff lol) but no need to be so defensive. I'm not telling anyone not to buy them off you either but don't ask me to sit back and listen to total nonsense in the process.

And fwiw I don't need need to prove anything Nick. Even THE most simple common sense will tell you put an obstruction in front of an airway and it will reduce flow. It's pretty simple stuff pal. Prove otherwise. Of course the guys selling them will say they don't but again prove it beyond your say so. Cars that come with these mesh gaurds have larger apertures to accommodate for the obstacle. Just look at the GT3. Porsche engineers aren't silly. They seek to over engineer, not under. It isn't all about aesthetics you know.

Sheesh no wonder there are FS CAI and the likes on the market being touted as performance enhancers. I mean how can you blame them when some of you guys believe pretty much anything that's thrown at you. Truly ridiculous..
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

The only way you could have increased air flow is with a Venturi effect:

http://www.tech-faq.com/venturi-effect.html

The Venturi effect is the phenomenon that occurs when a fluid (read gas in this case, same effect) that is flowing through a pipe is forced through a narrow section, resulting in a pressure decrease and a velocity increase.

Here endeth my basic physics knowledge. Think of an SU carburettor, or a rafting trip where the river speeds up when it narrows. I have experienced it flying a hang glider along a 200 foot ridge at the coast, when an offshore 16 mph breeze has to get through a gap in the ridge and causes a rush of air through the gap.

I am sure the Porsche engineers have this figured out.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 PM
speed21
Banned

^ That's pretty well the score. And there isn't any venturi effect going on with these mesh screens that's for certain.

Put a mesh screen on and the air will collimate only to a certain point where after it will deffuse the velocity of the air entering the radiators. Bit like a hairdryer with a diffuser attached. The fan will still push the air through the diffuser but it won't exit the diffuser (or in this case enter the radiators) with the same velocity. Other thing here is the radiators are just that, radiators. i.e. They are designed to radiate heat. So exactly how much air is required to vent that heat off, only Porsche would know the exact story there. I'm sure they did their homework and again I'm also sure they have over engineered the cooling system to where the mesh (may) not pose a problem in most operating environments. However there would be a point to where the cooling fans and other measures (i.e engine thermostat etc) would all kick in to compensate the obstruction in a bid to preserve the engine from entering dangerous territory.

But for anyone to suggest that there is no negative upset to the original velocity and natural unobstructed flow of the existing airflow after putting these screens on is playing with it.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoke to Zunsport today and found out that the cooling is not effected. They use the same mesh for Jaguar and Bentley as they supply to them for OEM parts and this mesh has been extensively tested and actually increases airflow by 0.2% so we can safely say we are not losing any performance. Just thought I would clarify this for anyone who was worried.
Contacted them 3-4 times via email. No response. They have my money and haven't confirmed the grille being built, the discount or that they are cutting the grille for the jammers.

Uhg...
Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Contacted them 3-4 times via email. No response. They have my money and haven't confirmed the grille being built, the discount or that they are cutting the grille for the jammers.

Uhg...
Might be because Nick has yet to deliver on promises, so now he may have to pay for his set for you to now get yours lol....anything is possible here.

edit: If you go back and read the opening line in his OP you will get the picture Nothing is for nothing as they say...."in the jolly old trade" that is.

Last edited by speed21; 11-05-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be because Nick has yet to deliver on promises, so now he may have to pay for his set for you to now get yours lol....anything is possible here.

edit: If you go back and read the opening line in his OP you will get the picture Nothing is for nothing as they say...."in the jolly old trade" that is.
nick delivered on giving me a 30% coupon code that allowed me to get these shipped to my door for $245.

honestly if i was that concerned then when tracking the car i would simply remove the screens. takes 5 min to remove them. I agree it would be virtually impossible to measure a 2% increase in anything.

I've driven in bumper to bumper trafffic and haven't seen the needle moved. i need to get my data logger out.

all this talk about it adding the additional heat is so easily solved. but it sounds like u rather bicker about a product and commend porsche on how well the built something... just like how well they built the non-turbo IMS engines huh? There is no doubt manufacturers go through rigourous testing and have way more budget than a lot of these aftermarket shops for R&D. but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements. all depends on what the modification is and if the owner wants to go through the risk of doing them.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sidwin
nick delivered on giving me a 30% coupon code that allowed me to get these shipped to my door for $245.

honestly if i was that concerned then when tracking the car i would simply remove the screens. takes 5 min to remove them. I agree it would be virtually impossible to measure a 2% increase in anything.

I've driven in bumper to bumper trafffic and haven't seen the needle moved. i need to get my data logger out.

all this talk about it adding the additional heat is so easily solved. but it sounds like u rather bicker about a product and commend porsche on how well the built something... just like how well they built the non-turbo IMS engines huh? There is no doubt manufacturers go through rigourous testing and have way more budget than a lot of these aftermarket shops for R&D. but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements. all depends on what the modification is and if the owner wants to go through the risk of doing them.
Lol keep your pants on here sidwin. I'm not bickering about anything actually, merely pointing out the obvious flaws in the claim that the obstruction creates more air flow to the radiators. To be frank I couldn't give a toss what owners ultimately choose to do with their own cars. Precisely one reason why I avoid buying used cars like this. I actually enjoy the entertainment in just reading about it...and the justifications. That is more than enough for me lol.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:53 AM
GTRNICK
Racer

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod

Uhg...
That is strange as on the U.K. Site all 14 people got theirs. LikeI said if you need some help PM me. Not a problem.

You are funny.

Lol keep your pants on here sidwin. I'm not bickering about anything actually, merely pointing out the obvious flaws in the claim that the obstruction creates more air flow to the radiators. To be frank I couldn't give a toss what owners ultimately choose to do with their own cars. Precisely one reason why I avoid buying used cars like this. I actually enjoy the entertainment in just reading about it...and the justifications. That is more than enough for me lol.
That's all you ever do and you are famous for it now.

One more thing why do you keep coming back to the used 997 turbo forums when you have a nice shiny new head extension of a 991?

Are you starting to realise you made a mistake selling your old banger?

Gtrnick awaits an essay

Last edited by GTRNICK; 11-06-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:25 AM
speed21
Banned

That is strange as on the U.K. Site all 14 people got theirs. LikeI said if you need some help PM me. Not a problem.

You are funny.
1) Firstly, Ibanezgod isn't laughing I see. I don't blame him.

2) Hehehe I thought you'd like that one Nick. Good you still see the humor but there is bit of truth in it though I'd of said. I mean word out there amongst certain vendors is you do have a quite a rep as being Mr 10% lol..putting the squeeze on for an earn lol, and not all things go to plan wink wink. Funny though how you can get an immediate ear with the "principle" yet poor old Ibanezgod gets left swinging in the breeze. Now it'd be fair to ask why is that now eh Nick? Like you and "da boss" are best of pals yet this poor fella doesn't even get a reply after how many attempts? Bad form if you ask me. I mean he paid his money where are they? But something tells me I'm sure you can find out. So work your magic eh.

That's all you ever do and you are famous for it now.
Good to be famous for something I guess lol. Calling out bull**** Nick isn't bickering but hey whatever floats your boat fella's. I'm pretty cool with it no matter which way you want to call it.

One more thing why do you keep coming back to the used 997 turbo forums when you have a nice shiny new head extension of a 991?

Are you starting to realise you made a mistake selling your old banger?
..well it's a free forum isn't it? ...even though some of us here actually pay....god knows why. But tbph main reason Nick is for the free entertainment.

Mistake? Hardly. And the new one vs the old? Well Nicky we all have our different takes on which is the better car there but where i am concerned let's just say I could quite easily back-trade the newie on two oldies and still walk away with change and i'm definitely not doing that. So enjoy what you have Nick, and the day you don't then pull the pin. Life's too short. That is my philosophy where cars are concerned.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 AM
GTRNICK
Racer

1) Firstly Ibanezgod isn't laughing i see.

2) Hehehe I thought you'd like that one Nick. Bit of truth in it though I'd of said.
I mean word out there amongst some of the vendors is you do have a quite the rep as being Mr 10% lol..putting the squeeze on for an earn lol, and not all things go to plan wink wink. Funny though how you can get an immediate ear with the "principle" yet poor old Ibanezgod gets left swinging in the breeze. Now it'd be fair to ask why is that now eh Nick? Like you and da boss are bestest of pals yet this poor fella doesn't even get a reply after how many attempts? Bad form if you ask me. I mean he paid his money where are they? But something tells me I'm sure you can find out. So work your magic.

Calling out bull**** Nick isn't bickering but hey whatever floats your boat fellas. I'm pretty cool with it no matter which way you want to call it.

..well it's a free forum isn't it? ...even though some of us here actually pay....god knows why. But tbph main reason Nick is for the free entertainment.

And the new one vs the old? Well Nicky we all have our different takes on which is the better car there but where i am concerned let's just say I could quite easily back-trade the newie on two oldies and still walk away with change. So enjoy what you have Nick, and the day you don't then pull the pin. Life's too short. That is my philosophy where cars are concerned.

1)Well Pauly I don't find Ibanezgod's situation funny but I do find you funny.

2)I heard you are the biggest Proto/EP shill out there. ;-)

3)It is a free forum but you only just got your new 991 and you seem to be in 997 section a lot more than you spend in the 991 section. Just an observation.

4)I agree with you on one thing life is too short and I do enjoy what I have and feel very privileged to be in a position where I or we can own such great cars.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 AM
speed21
Banned

1)Well Pauly I don't find Ibanezgod's situation funny but I do find you funny.
..well at least you find something funny so you are one up on ibanezgod there at the present.

2)I heard you are the biggest Proto/EP shill out there. ;-)
LOL What? from Rhonda and a few of your loyal pals here? You are killing me. I picture you as like an Arthur from the old English show Minder. You should recall it being a Londoner? Anyway, call me shill whatever you like. The suppliers that aren't desperate for business know that couldn't be further than the truth. It is OK Nick. I understand it is just your defense mechanism kicking in to deflect the spotlight from your self serving antics here on these forums as an FVD shill (amongst others who have bought in on your BS).

Unlike yourself, I can say I have paid for my 2 EP exhausts (and at full price) without applying condition to those supplying upon my purchase, least of all trying to milk products from certain vendors and manufacturers on some BS promise you can do something they can't by moving their stock for them. Laughable. In my game, and as a genuine supplier to the trade and retail (unlike yourself with that silly bogus tuning company of yours), we refer to guys like you as "scavengers on the trade". It is sad for me to say to you but I couldn't count the number of times I've shown guys just like you politely to the door. You see not everyone is gullible (or should I say desperate) Nick. The discussions I've had with certain suppliers regarding your particular MO has been candid, and having something in common as suppliers to the trade and retail markets, in so far as being approached by BS artist types (like yourself) endeavoring to slide in on our action on the basis of making promises to deliver sales for either commissions or free product. Let's get real here Nick, you've been shown the door a few times and you know that, as you know, I know.
Now I don't expect you to own up to it here on the open forums but let me just say I know the full story. You can take that one to the bank. Your BS hasn't worked on everyone and you know that. Now do the right thing for a change and go and work your so called "magic' for Mr Ibanezgod and get him his meshes, along with his promised discount.

3)It is a free forum but you only just got your new 991 and you seem to be in 997 section a lot more than you spend in the 991 section. Just an observation.
Let's also just say "someone needs to keep you honest" while keeping the BS in check. The entertainment here is a bonus as always.

4)I agree with you on one thing life is too short and I do enjoy what I have and feel very privileged to be in a position where I or we can own such great cars.
I will drink to that Nick. One day perhaps you and I will have that drink and maybe along with a few laughs.You do know I frequent your city quite regularly for biz. It is a very small world Nick. You would be very surprised what I know. Shocked actually. Essay over
Old 11-06-2014, 11:47 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this is a perfect example how an informative thread starts out and goes down hill.

Paul already made his comment about disruptive airflow but yet hasn't offered any data to help anyone make an informative decision.

Nick has offered up a 30% code that made many of us decide to pull the trigger but the 2% increase air flow claim is honestly a non-significant improvement and honestly i don't think can be truly backed up.

Ibanez asked for the jammers to be cut. I posted a video on the testing of jammers behind the metal screen showing that even at 200 yards didn't effect the jammers. I don't see the need to get them cut.

That's pretty much the sums up this thread. Sounds like u 2 are getting beyond personal on a thread that should probably be taken private.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
GTRNICK
Racer

Originally Posted by sidwin
this is a perfect example how an informative thread starts out and goes down hill.

Paul already made his comment about disruptive airflow but yet hasn't offered any data to help anyone make an informative decision.

Nick has offered up a 30% code that made many of us decide to pull the trigger but the 2% increase air flow claim is honestly a non-significant improvement and honestly i don't think can be truly backed up.

Ibanez asked for the jammers to be cut. I posted a video on the testing of jammers behind the metal screen showing that even at 200 yards didn't effect the jammers. I don't see the need to get them cut.

That's pretty much the sums up this thread. Sounds like u 2 are getting beyond personal on a thread that should probably be taken private.
You are right Sidwin it has gone off topic as usual and apologies for that I guess sometimes it is easy to get sucked into a slagging match which I am guilty of.

I think it's best we leave it at that Paul. If you have anything more to say to me please feel free to PM me or if you are over here in the U.K. then I'll take you up on a meet and a drink so that we can go through a few things as in reality I am not a bad guy but you seem to have some bad opinions of me which a shame.

Quick Reply: Front grills to protect radiators for 997 turbo.